Author Topic: Carb leaking fuel all over the motor  (Read 948 times)

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
Carb leaking fuel all over the motor
« on: October 10, 2021, 11:37:47 AM »
So I my Formula have been sitting for a couple of years while I have been busy with my other projects. Tried to start it up only to find out the rubber fuel hoses were perished.. changed them and it started right up - but after running great for about 30 min the car stalled and I could see that the carb was leaking heavily from the places indicated on the picture below:

It's an Edelbrock carb, I suspect the cause is either that it has been dry for too long or that I may have gotten some E10 ethanol gas that the seals did not like.. what would you suggest to get it running again? Are there rebuild kits with ethanol compliant seals available? And is it feasible to rebuild one following directions (I have never taken a carb apart before, but do alot of maintenance work on all of my vehicles)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:40:20 AM by 77 Pontiac »
Greetings from Northern Europe :-)

pancho400cid

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Viva los PONCHOS!
Re: Carb leaking fuel all over the motor
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 03:31:03 PM »
It looks like the float is stuck.

Sometimes rapping the carb with a wooden hammer handle will jar it enough to un-stick the float.  Most likely though, you should just re-build it.  Since it's been sitting, it may be stuck because of varnish/debris buildup.

Kits are available from Amazon, Summit etc.  You need an exact carb model number.  I don't know how to find that on an Edelbrock carb.

Edelbrock carbs are pretty simple (more so than the Quadrajet that probably came on your car anyway).  I didn't watch them..., but there are rebuild vids on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRcLP_FTDR4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx8m-cTtDrU

PS - You should add an in-line fuel filter while you're at it if the car doesn't already have one.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 04:10:09 PM by pancho400cid »
1978 Trans Am - Chesterfield Brown - current project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - SOLD!

Steve B

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 03:41:30 PM »
After having similar problems a few years ago, I got tired of it and went the fuel injection route.  That would be my suggestion if you have the time and funds available and I would bet many would agree.
Steve
1980 Trans Am, 400, TH400 auto

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 03:00:45 AM »
It looks like the float is stuck.

Sometimes rapping the carb with a wooden hammer handle will jar it enough to un-stick the float.  Most likely though, you should just re-build it.  Since it's been sitting, it may be stuck because of varnish/debris buildup.

Kits are available from Amazon, Summit etc.  You need an exact carb model number.  I don't know how to find that on an Edelbrock carb.

Edelbrock carbs are pretty simple (more so than the Quadrajet that probably came on your car anyway).  I didn't watch them..., but there are rebuild vids on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRcLP_FTDR4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx8m-cTtDrU

PS - You should add an in-line fuel filter while you're at it if the car doesn't already have one.

This right here.  It overflowed.  Fuel level control on a car is very simple (like your toilet), but you have to disassemble the carb to replace it all.  So a rap with a hammer is a lot better if it works.  If it doesn't work, replacing those parts is exactly what you do when you rebuild a carb.  Sometimes the float will sink.  Sometimes the needle-and-seat valve may not seal off well.  I hope it's just stuck.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 03:03:15 AM by firebirdparts »
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 05:48:18 AM »
If you have to pull the AFB, dump it for a QJ. You'll be happier with one, (as long as it's a good one).
"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 05:48:18 AM »

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 09:03:14 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I am in europe so getting a good Qjet is a very expensive option, and the EFI route is illegal in my country..
So I will start by checking up on the float and valve function and hopefully a good clean can bring it back to life
Greetings from Northern Europe :-)

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 09:55:16 AM »
If rapping on the carb bowl doesn't unstick it, then B4 you ruin a top gasket, you could try getting a can of Gumout carb cleaner, remove the fuel line, and using the red tube, try and insert it all the way to the other side of the airhorn. Maybe an extra squirt/blast of pressure against the needle valve will help loosen it or clean it. Good luck. Sorry to hear about your QJ dilemma. And EFIs are "illegal"  :shock: Wow. And lastly, say hello to ABBA for me. 
"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

Bluebandit

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 02:19:44 PM »
If your hoses were crap im betting some of the rubber from them has lodged in your needle and seat assembly. Get a kit and rebuild it.

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 02:19:44 PM »
You can help support TAC!