Author Topic: Anyone installed a hydroboost?  (Read 1977 times)

Chewey

• Oracle Forum Member
Anyone installed a hydroboost?
« on: October 03, 2021, 12:11:11 PM »
I'm thinking about installing a hydroboost brake system in my car. Anyone done this and have any tips or can point me to a "how-to" write up?
-mike

78 Trans Am 400 Auto (Dec 06 HPP)
76 Trans Am LE 455/4sp w/ t-tops (1 of 110)
2020 Rally Green Camaro 2SS
02 Trans Am CETA Convertible M6 #1949 (sold)

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
Re: Anyone installed a hydroboost?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 12:26:18 PM »
This subject is interesting.  I tried years ago, but ended up giving up on the project.  Supplier sent me a mismachined plate, exchanged me another, they went out of business and I ultimately just gave up on the deal.

I looked hydroboost recently and see a few different designs from new/different suppliers compared to 10 years ago.  Some use the power brake attachment on the pedal and others use the manual hole. 

Do your research on this subject before you buy as there are a few different suppliers with a few different claims at this point.  Below are some that I found recently.  The one on eBay looks appealing as it’s the most informative for buyers.

-performanceonline.com
-CPP
-EBay vendor sterlingworth16

Mark's Cars Inc.

https://markscarsinc.com

mark1980

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 08:44:36 PM »
I installed one from SummitRacing it works good
It is from cpp

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 03:35:52 PM »
I’ve got the Sterlingworth one. Talked to the owner many times and he was very helpful.  It does make a huge difference vs your standard booster.  I did have to upgrade my steering pump to a TurnOne 1500 PSI unit as it caused a huge amount of whining noise with my LS3 Holly pump.

Definitely closer to a modern car brake feel.  You really notice it under hard braking (you’ll overwhelm your tires pretty quickly so be careful).
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 11:06:57 AM »
One came on my '71 when I bought it years ago.  It's always been on my things to address list.  For me, it provides a bit too much pressure.  I don't like how little pedal effort is required.  For me, a traditional booster would likely be a better fit for my driving style.  I have a Wilwood master, and Ls3 pump as well that was modified by Turn 1 in Michigan.  The front of the car has a Wilwood version of c5 brakes.  The rears are also a Wilwood upgrade to much larger brakes.  I have a lot of stopping capability that a little aggressive braking would likely cause some locking up.  I am also using Wilwood's adjustable proportioning valve.  Mine looks like what Stros pictured.  I also am no fan of Wilwood's hot rod style master cylinder.  They now make that looks better in a muscle car.

Hopefully, the swap-to-booster will be over the winter if everything goes as planned-but, does it ever?
The surgeon general never said nuthin' 'bout smokin' the competition!

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 11:06:57 AM »

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 01:44:34 PM »
Updated71 we nearly have matching brake setups.  I’ve also got wilwood c5 fronts with the bigger wilwood rear disc kit.  Wilwood master /prop valve and the Turn1 pump.

I think you’ll be happy with it.  I don’t view it as overboosted, but more like a modern car feel.  You can also fiddle with the prop valve settings to dial things in a bit. 

I didn’t like the feel earlier with the standard brake booster.
Darryl

Build thread:

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 09:35:57 AM »
I'd respectfully disagree with the hydroboost changing the feel to anything modern as far as what you expect when pushing the pedal.  I would prefer more brake pedal feedback.  The engine I have provides enough vacuum that I can't see what benefit it has.  It just isn't for me.  It may fit your needs perfectly.  If you are near me, you're welcome to take the car for a drive yourself. 

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 06:41:16 PM »
I'd respectfully disagree with the hydroboost changing the feel to anything modern as far as what you expect when pushing the pedal.  I would prefer more brake pedal feedback.  The engine I have provides enough vacuum that I can't see what benefit it has.  It just isn't for me.  It may fit your needs perfectly.  If you are near me, you're welcome to take the car for a drive yourself.

No worries, brake feel is definitely in the eye of the beholder and I'm sure we're not comparing apples to apples.  At least the stopping power sure feels close to a modern car to me.  Maybe too much stopping power given that we don't have ABS.  I have to be a bit careful with it :D
Darryl

Build thread:

Chewey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 07:54:52 AM »
My problem is that it barely feels like there are any power brakes at all. I thought about running a vacuum canister, but I'm not sure the engine is producing enough vacuum at all.
-mike

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 09:41:51 AM »
Chewey, What brakes are you running now? Assuming you are running the stock brakes, how old are the components of your system? Have you tried flushing the fluid or possibly swapping out to a different MC? I'd hate to see you go through all the trouble of a hydro boost system to have it be something simple like old fluid, or calipers that need to be rebuilt.

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 12:12:50 PM »
I'd respectfully disagree with the hydroboost changing the feel to anything modern as far as what you expect when pushing the pedal.  I would prefer more brake pedal feedback. The engine I have provides enough vacuum that I can't see what benefit it has.  It just isn't for me.  It may fit your needs perfectly.  If you are near me, you're welcome to take the car for a drive yourself.

Nothing beats manual master for brake feel, either disc or drum.  Simpler and clearance is unbeatable.

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 04:49:09 PM »
I'd respectfully disagree with the hydroboost changing the feel to anything modern as far as what you expect when pushing the pedal.  I would prefer more brake pedal feedback. The engine I have provides enough vacuum that I can't see what benefit it has.  It just isn't for me.  It may fit your needs perfectly.  If you are near me, you're welcome to take the car for a drive yourself.

Nothing beats manual master for brake feel, either disc or drum.  Simpler and clearance is unbeatable.

That's definitely an option I am considering. Just have to somehow 'try' before I buy and commit to that only to have to rip it out.

Chewey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 09:01:35 PM »
Chewey, What brakes are you running now? Assuming you are running the stock brakes, how old are the components of your system? Have you tried flushing the fluid or possibly swapping out to a different MC? I'd hate to see you go through all the trouble of a hydro boost system to have it be something simple like old fluid, or calipers that need to be rebuilt.

Rebuilt booster, stock MC, 1LE spindles/rotors upgrade up front and stock drums in the back. I thought maybe it was a bad booster, but it's been like this as long as I can remember. I finished the resto 15+ years ago, and I don't drive it as much as I should so maybe I don't remember what it used to be like. Maybe I should get it checked first.
-mike

Vroom_vroom

• Active Forum Member
  • ka-kawwww
    • my build thread
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 08:19:05 PM »
man now you have got me thinking! i dont have much vacuum and would be a nice fit. always wanted to get the brakes on my car like the brembos on my ctsv. it would pull the glasses off your face if you gave it hell! keep us posed if you move forward with this.
'77 T/A Poncho 400-4spd.(upgrading failure)|kre-d port heads|scorpion 1.5rr|800 smi q-jet|tomahawk forged I beams|kb flat tops|OER 15x8 snowflakes|rpm intake&drop base|try-y headers|pypes kit|champion 4 core|rancho sways|Subframe connecters|A.P. hydro setup| prw flywheel| mcloud ss|
'19 Silverado 3500
'15 terrain

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 07:57:52 AM »

Rebuilt booster, stock MC, 1LE spindles/rotors upgrade up front and stock drums in the back. I thought maybe it was a bad booster, but it's been like this as long as I can remember. I finished the resto 15+ years ago, and I don't drive it as much as I should so maybe I don't remember what it used to be like. Maybe I should get it checked first.

I’m working on a similar setup compared to you.  1LE spindles, stock calipers and WS6 rear disc.  The main difference I have going is I’m using a manual master cylinder.

I spoke with Tobin at Kore3 last year and he set me up with Hawk HP+ brake pads with braided brake hoses to match up with the manual master cylinder.  Their website doesn’t list the D52/D154 stuff like what we have but he knows the setup very well and can supply the parts (gotta call in for it).  If you were to consider manual brakes, pad choice becomes a little more important.  Most “street” pads you see are low dust ceramic but those unfortunately don’t have as much pad bite as organic pads.

Something to think about,

Jon
Mark's Cars Inc.

https://markscarsinc.com

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 07:57:52 AM »

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2021, 05:42:34 AM »
man now you have got me thinking! i dont have much vacuum and would be a nice fit. always wanted to get the brakes on my car like the brembos on my ctsv. it would pull the glasses off your face if you gave it hell! keep us posed if you move forward with this.

The Brembo's on my SS sedan are outstanding and no boost.

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2021, 05:42:34 AM »
You can help support TAC!