Author Topic: Windshield / Rear glass trim clips.  (Read 720 times)

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
Windshield / Rear glass trim clips.
« on: March 05, 2023, 10:20:33 AM »
Howdy,

Getting closer to completion and about to call the glass guy to replace my truck glass and do my TA at the same time. I will be using the original trim and need a recommendation on plastic or metal clips. I know the plastic get brittle over the years, but the car is garaged. I have read the metal scratch the paint (fresh) and could cause a rust issue down the line…
Any recommendations on clip brands / distributor?

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Windshield / Rear glass trim clips.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 07:00:52 PM »
Original is metal and will last, paint is poor quality and thin if it scratches off down to metal simply installing a clip which can be done carefully. If trim is original it suits metal clips best. The reproduction trim, which I haven't used, can use both but some of the horrible curves need the plastic clips. So a handful of both can be of use, or at least a few plastic thrown in if there's a problem area, but that's generally only for the repro trim. I've bought more metal clips for spares, blackened and plated, but haven't reinstalled since. Even GM replaced some of their original metal range with the nylon alternative in later years, probably cost less.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 12:50:46 AM by Wallington »

sreta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 05:13:29 AM »
My car came from factory with metal clips on the rear and plastic clips on the front windshield. Some of the metal clips are still like new, some are totally rusted. I broke a couple of plastic clips, the rest is still good.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 07:22:21 AM »
The clips make very little contact with the paint, there should not be an issue with damage. The metal ones are much better than the plastic. The repro clips I have found are mostly all junk! I think I finally ended up with ones I bought from firebird central that were ok. I went through a dozen before I found some that would lock the trim into place. Another thing to keep in mind is the elevation of the glass relevant to the body.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 11:33:26 AM »
When I installed my trim with new metal clips they were really tight and also worried about the paint getting scratched, so I used an erasure shield between the clip and the paint. An erasure shield is basically a very thin piece of metal.
Gene

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 11:33:26 AM »

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 07:12:47 PM »
Thanks for the tips, tricks and input….. finally getting close to completion.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 08:18:07 PM »
Get some of the anti rattle clips too, of your original plastic insert strip is gone. Can be used over clips or next to, keeping a gap between paint and trim.

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 09:08:35 PM »
Wallington,

Do you have a pic or a name of a distributor that sells them? I googled it but didn’t find anything for a second gen.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 10:12:26 AM »
Ok after 20min I haven't found a single one. Every time I search ebay for Firebird parts they pop-up and I've done posts before with them, pre-crash probably although search on here never works. I think the seller was Grandpa's Swapmeet or similar, sold all sorts of clips and screws. They are bright blue.

Think it was this guy, ads don't come up, there were many. Possibly just ended and hasn't relisted, been on there for years though including only a week back.

https://www.ebay.com/str/bilcam2010

Anti rattle clip windscreen trim 2 by Ben, on Flickr

Anti rattle clip windscreen trim 1 by Ben, on Flickr

They are a variation of the original black insert strip used by GM.

NOS GM 9738211 9738210 rear window trims 75-81 with plastic inserts (2) by Ben, on Flickr

And a very expensive version with poor photo. The GM strip is often 1/2 to 3/4 the length of trim, easy to cut to smaller sections if you had any on a piece.

https://fbodywarehouse.com/store/1970-1981-camaro-trans-am-frotn-window-trim-gasket-sliders-new.html
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:21:12 AM by Wallington »

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 06:38:53 PM »
Very interesting, I don’t recall ever seeing those before.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 10:40:11 AM »
There were a few guys in the previous thread that were going to get some, or already had. I wonder if they ever did.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 10:40:11 AM »
You can help support TAC!