Author Topic: Recommendations needed.  (Read 887 times)

Tinindian6702

• Active Forum Member
Recommendations needed.
« on: September 24, 2021, 01:46:05 PM »
Hi
I have had my 78 Firebird stored for over 3 years.  I wanted to know what you recommend before starting for the first time.  Before it was parked it had a new GM crate engine installed.  I know its not a Pontiac engine but in my defense it replaced a factory 305 SBC.  It is the all aluminum engine:  Heads block etc...
I never put in any gas stabilizer.  (I know :-().  What are the first things you would do before starting?  Thanks in advance. 
Mike,
2002 TRANS AM WS6 Convertible
1980 TRANS AM Pace Car (SOLD)
1978 Esprit Redbird
1967 Firebird 400 Convertible

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
Re: Recommendations needed.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 02:08:54 PM »
First thing that comes to mind... change all fluids.

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 04:51:06 PM »
Check the oil level and consistency. Pull the plugs.  Spray a good  lubricant into each cylinder and turn the engine over several times.  If you have an oil primer, use it in place of the HEI...over and over to pump up the lifter with oil and lub the bearings.  Pull a sample of the gas from the tank.  If it smells like lacquer thinner, drain as much as you can and put in half a tank of fresh gas.  Replace the oil primer with the HEI, make sure the plugs are in and the plug wires are correct.  Prime the carb... through the vent tube.  Three or four pumps on the throttle and it should fire up.  May have to play with the timing just a little but make sure your mark the position before you pull the HEI.

I have my original 305 in a box and this year it will have to be fired on the engine cradle.  The above method is what I do when it needs to be fired up.   

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 05:02:19 PM »
When you pull the dipstick what does the oil look like? If it’s not milky or sludgy you can run the engine for a few minutes enough to warm the oil before you change it.

Before you crank or try to start the engine I would prime the engine oiling system. This would can be done by removing the distributor and using an electric drill and priming shaft. You can make one from an old distributor by removing the shaft and grinding of the cam drive gear. Run the drill for a couple minutes after you show oil pressure. This will lube all the bearing surfaces before you put a load on them. I think Chevy distributors turn clockwise, the opposite directions of Pontiac. If you Google this process you can see online videos of how to.

I would pull all the plugs and give each cylinder a little shot of engine oil. Just a little bit, you don’t want to have hydraulic lock. Once you put  the distributor back in,  crank the engine over a few times before installing the plugs to lube the cylinders.

Once you put the plugs back in you can try to start it by pouring a small amount of fuel down the carb. If it starts, you can see if it will run off the old fuel in the tank. It’s possible you will have to drain the tank and clean the carb.

Oops, sorry I did not see Blackbirds post.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:03:51 PM by 5th T/A »
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Tinindian6702

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 04:41:39 AM »
Thank you for the comprehensive answers.  I appreciate it.   Hopefully I will be up and running soon.   
Mike,
2002 TRANS AM WS6 Convertible
1980 TRANS AM Pace Car (SOLD)
1978 Esprit Redbird
1967 Firebird 400 Convertible

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 04:41:39 AM »

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 06:09:22 AM »
You got great advice, good luck and keep us posted.

Regards, Jack

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 06:30:07 AM »
Hi
I have had my 78 Firebird stored for over 3 years.  I wanted to know what you recommend before starting for the first time.  Before it was parked it had a new GM crate engine installed.  I know its not a Pontiac engine but in my defense it replaced a factory 305 SBC.  It is the all aluminum engine:  Heads block etc...
I never put in any gas stabilizer.  (I know :-().  What are the first things you would do before starting?  Thanks in advance. 

I concur with all of the advice above, and might even suggest a carb rebuild/replace. 3 years isn't that long of a time to have a car parked, but if it was parked with ethanol fuel in the carb, it could be pretty bad inside. Can we get some pictures of this all aluminum SBC?? I wasn't aware that GM ever made an aluminum crate SBC. Sounds pretty sweet if you ask me.

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 06:30:07 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!