Author Topic: MNBob's 1979 TATA 5 Speed  (Read 14260 times)

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: MNBob's 1979 TATA 5 Speed
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2023, 06:59:23 AM »
I also got this one for my Jeep:

Digital GPS Speedometer for Car

It has been flawless, is a little easier to read, and is only $14.
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Performer intake; open scoop; Sniper QJ;  110 Amp Alt; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2023, 07:14:42 AM »
Subwoofer Install
I have made the decision to trade in my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.  The Jeep used to be a second car, driven occasionally, and used for towing the boat.  But now it has become a daily driver, and the mileage is very poor.  Ironically, it had the same problem as the TA originally, too many rpm’s on the highway. 

The 420 horsepower was really nice, and this was the best vehicle I have ever had for towing the boat.  We are going to buy our first electric car, a Volkswagen ID4.

I had upgraded the Jeep sound system by installing very high-quality speakers and adding a subwoofer. The system was also the best I've ever had in a car.  So I thought why not take the subwoofer and use it for my Trans Am.

I thought about putting it in the trunk, but it would take up space, and I thought it would be better in the left rear seat footwell.  I ran the wires in the console and added about 6 feet of extra wire in case I ever wanted to move it or clean in the area.

This is not a boom out your neighbors subwoofer, but it really adds some depth to the music. The included wired remote also gives a lot of flexibility for adjustment and there are additional subwoofer controls in the Kenwood CD player.  The Kenwood has subwoofer RCA outputs.

Subwoofer Close Up on Bench

Installed

Wired Remote Under Driver Seat

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 02:16:33 PM by MNBob »
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Performer intake; open scoop; Sniper QJ;  110 Amp Alt; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2023, 09:57:03 AM »
It’s always nice when you can repurpose something like the subwoofer. Makes it a win/win.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2023, 09:44:32 PM »
I normally just mind my own business, But I read that you were planning on buying an "Electric Car"...Based on my best friends Prius experience...and the Tesla that my Wife bought on a whim...I implore you to do your Home Work...There is in my opinion far more Down Side than any upside...When the Batteries died in the Prius...Rebuilt Batteries were over $1000.00, and the Warranty was very short. All of the Special Maintenance Tires/Brakes/Etc are pricey ... As for the Tesla... She's been locked out more time than I can remember, and the Foam Filled Tire she Punctured cost her around $500.00 after all the dust settled...She had to wait a week for an appointment to get the Keyless entry problem resolved... And I'm not sure that's entirely resolved. When the power goes off here, She can't charge the car...and so far this summer its already gone off 4 times and once for 8 hrs...I just take her to work in the Silverado... Just my .02...Regards.       

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #164 on: July 27, 2023, 07:05:28 AM »
I like that display.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

« Reply #164 on: July 27, 2023, 07:05:28 AM »

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2023, 07:57:47 AM »
langss, thanks for the input.  There are always bad experiences with any car.  My wife's daughter has had numerous Prius's and loves them.  There are Tesla's everywhere here in this suburb and Naples. 

We have done our homework on this car reading hundreds of magazine reviews, ratings, personal reviews, and personal conversations with owners.  It has all been really positive.  The car comes with an 8 year warranty on the batteries, as well as warranties on other items.

So I will report back here from time to time and let everyone know of our experience with it!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2023, 11:29:30 AM »
Not to change the T/A subject but I would love to hear of your electric car experience when you get one. I think the idea is great and there is def a need. If I could afford one I probably would have one. I have a good customer that bought a Tesla 3 last december. He has nothing but good to say about the car. He recently took a trip from the DC area to Alabama and back up through the middle of the country, to Indiana and back home. Had no problems at all. Said the biggest things were thinking ahead about where to charge and the extended charge time once they stopped. Other than that he loves the car.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2023, 01:05:22 PM »
Will do, I will give regular reports on how we fare with the vehicle here.  I forgot to mention that a couple from Canada at our old condo would drive their Tesla back-and-forth from Canada to Naples every year.  They absolutely loved their Tesla.

We could not turn down the value proposition offered by this car.  First off, there was a $7500 rebate that we were eligible for.  Secondly, the cost of electric is half the cost of gas, or maybe even a little less.  Thirdly, Volkswagen offers free charging for three years at Electrify America charging stations with a purchase.  We could literally drive across the country and paying nothing for it.

There is also the feel good aspects of this purchase.  We will be doing a little to help the planet.  The car is also made in the US in Chatanooga.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 01:07:12 PM by MNBob »

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2023, 02:21:42 PM »
Bob,
Looking forward to hearing your real-world experiences with an all-electric car.

My wife has a good friend that owns several businesses in Wisconsin requiring about 200 mile round trips between. They replaced a Ford Expedition (full size SUV) with a Tesla Model 3. Just talking about charging costs, they claim their monthly expense is about 1/3 of what gasoline was for the SUV. But we are kind of talking about an apples to oranges comparison regarding vehicle size and weight. They have made several round trips to Orlando and back with friends driving gasoline powered vehicles and claim travel time was very close. My understanding is the Tesla Charging Application is very good at guiding you to a charging station with little to no waiting time. The only drawback I have heard for Tesla is the long acquisition time for collision repair parts. Long term battery life is still an unknown, but repair and maintenance should be less than an internal combustion powered vehicle. I have talked to neighbors and friends who own Tesla's, they all are very positive. No doubt the future is in electric powered vehicles. In the long run I think cost per mile will be the driving force.

My wife and I both have Hybrids as daily drivers. Me a 2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid now with only 42,000 miles. When I retired in 2018 it had 22,000 miles. Spring Summer and Fall mileage is in the 42 to 46 MPG range. Winter time it drops to the mid 30's because the engine has to run to produce heat. My wife drives a 2013 Toyota Hylander Hybrid, it gets 28 MPG except in winter where it drops to 22-23 MPG. Her car has 144,000 miles, all I have replaced is tires, brakes, air filters, oil changes and a 12V starting battery. My wife drives with a lead foot and is hard on brakes, yet we still got 120K out of her first set of brakes. While I am all for protecting and helping the environment, I was more drawn to these cars because of the technology. Hybrid cars really shine in heavy traffic city driving. Mileage in city driving is often better than highway. On a hot summer day the AC works great, its all battery powered and engine stays much cooler because it's not running very much.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2023, 03:21:36 PM »
We have about 25K miles on our 2019 Tesla Model 3 at this point.  Overall, the only 2 issues we've had are the "starter" battery going out in the first couple of months (been ok since), and one of the door window regulators also recently had to be replaced.

Ours is a base model but it's still pretty quick.  It drives and handles nicely.  I think recent year models have more range but we tend to get about 200 miles per charge.  We don't have the full self driving option but it has the standard autopilot which we rarely use as honestly I've never gained any trust in it.  It also has the blind spot warning in the same screen instead of on the door mirrors - which I also think is a mistake. 

I've grown to hate the interior (with the "Ipad" in the middle of the dash).  I prefer having gauges directly in front of me, plus a lot of basic functions take some digging.  The screen at times locks up (which renders the car useless) and needs fairly frequent rebooting/restarting.  Also you can't aim the air vents - a feature on pretty much every car in the past 100 years.  I do like the fact you can cool the car before you get into it and you can quietly run the AC when sitting and waiting for someone in hot weather (instead of having to turn your gas engine on). 

I don't take the Tesla on roadtrips as I'd rather not deal with trying to find the charging stations, but that's just me.  The service has been a bit hit or miss.  It's nice that they'll stop by your house but sometimes it takes a while to get an appointment. 

While the Tesla has been fine, for our next EV I'm thinking about going with one of the larger manufacturers. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 03:23:41 PM by stros »
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2023, 07:19:06 AM »
My son in law just bought a Tesla 3 sport model.  It's fast but thats about all I can say good about it.  I find the styling boring as well as the interior.  For the money the interior looks cheap to me.  But, it's not my car and he likes it.  I would much rather drive my daughters new BMW 3 series which I really like. 

I am not against electric, I would own the right one but so far nothing gets me too excited.  I am not going to buy a car just to "Save the plant" especially if I find them ugly and boring looking
Dave

81 Trans Am

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2023, 09:43:02 AM »
Tesla interiors seem to have the big screen and not much else.  Most of the other EV's have a more "normal" looking interior.  As far as style, I think the ID4 looks ok for an SUV.

Here are the photos:

ID4 Interior

ID4 Exterior

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2023, 11:41:18 AM »
My son in law just bought a Tesla 3 sport model.  It's fast but thats about all I can say good about it.  I find the styling boring as well as the interior.  For the money the interior looks cheap to me.  But, it's not my car and he likes it.  I would much rather drive my daughters new BMW 3 series which I really like. 

I am not against electric, I would own the right one but so far nothing gets me too excited.  I am not going to buy a car just to "Save the plant" especially if I find them ugly and boring looking

Totally agree - there is nothing very exciting/engaging about the Tesla 3/S/X/Y models from a design or driver's perspective, inside or out.  The driving experience even with the fast acceleration lacks something to me still.  Now they did go more extreme with the Cybertruck design but IMHO it is too extreme. 

I am interested to see how some of the upcoming EVs like the Dodge Charger turn out to be - with fake exhausts and fake shifting.  Maybe that'll add some excitement to them, maybe not. 
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2023, 09:33:02 AM »
Totally agree - there is nothing very exciting/engaging about the Tesla 3/S/X/Y models from a design or driver's perspective, inside or out.

This is also one comments of others on the ID4.  However, we are not looking for a sports car, but a car to run errands and take an occasional trip.

Here is the summary in US News:

"The 2023 Volkswagen ID.4 is a spacious EV with a comfortable ride and good cargo room, but its driving experience lacks excitement, its infotainment system is not user-friendly, and the base model has a low driving range."

We are getting the single motor RWD Pro S model that has the larger 275 mile range and a higher trim level.

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2023, 12:10:33 PM »
Good to see people starting to come around to electric vehicles. If this discussion happened here even a couple years ago there would have been a lot more hate in this thread. Pretty soon we'll be reading about folks here doing an EV swap into their Trans Am.  :grin:

We bought a Kia EV6 last year and I absolutely love it. We also have rooftop solar so zero fuel costs for us. I tell everyone that is shopping for an EV that the most important thing is to get one with DC fast charging. Most people will do >90% of their charging at home at level 2 but when you have to top up on the road, level 3 fast charging makes a huge difference. In the case of our Kia it can charge from 10-80% in 18 minutes.

Another upside is our Kia acts as a battery backup for our house for when the power goes out as it has Vehicle to Load. Had a gas generator but got rid of it since the car does it better.
Gene

« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2023, 12:10:33 PM »

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2023, 12:15:29 PM »
This post needs to get back on topic.
Dave

81 Trans Am

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2023, 03:40:17 PM »
Gene, thanks for sharing.  I am glad to hear you are satisfied with the EV6.  They are the top rated EV SUV.

That fast charging rate is really fast.  The spec for ID4 is a half an hour.  I think when you travel with a EV, it is a little diferent mindset.  It is ok to stop for a break, or get something to eat, or explore a little.  You just have to allow a little more time.

That is interesting about the solar.  How long could the car power the house?

I am super excited about getting this car (mid August) so this discussion is fine with me.  Thanks to all that have shared.

I have no new TA accomplishments because I am rehabbing our deck.

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2023, 12:56:03 PM »
A friend of mine has the ID4 and really likes it. We were able to get the federal tax credit on the EV6 but unfortunately that's not available anymore for Hyundai/Kia.

Regarding the Vehicle to Load feature, the king of this technology currently is the Ford F-150 Lightning which can provide 9.6kW 220V output in a true Vehicle to Home configuration. The Kia on the other hand can only output 1.9kW 110V but that's more than enough to run the refrigerator, computers, and a bunch of LED lights. It's not enough to power our central A/C but it is enough for a small window A/C unit. It's also enough to power the blower on our gas furnace if we need heat during a winter outage. With a full battery the EV6 can provide that power for over 40 hours.

It sounds like there are a few people interested in EVs here so I'm going to start a new thread in the Lobby on electric vehicles so we can continue the discussion.
Gene

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2023, 11:46:49 AM »
That is a surprising amount of power for the house.

Thanks for starting the new thread, I will share my ID4 experiences over there.

« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2023, 11:46:49 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!