Author Topic: Stinger Fiberglass Rear Bumper Cover?  (Read 709 times)

firebirdforrest

• Active Forum Member
  • 1980 Formula
Stinger Fiberglass Rear Bumper Cover?
« on: September 08, 2021, 05:59:00 AM »
 Anyone have any real experience using the fiberglass bumper covers from Stinger Fiberglass? Right now I am just looking into buying the rear one. I understand fiberglass parts usually need a certain amount of prepping, trimming, filling, sanding and fitting etc.
What I don't want is something I have to re engineer, cut apart, section and fiberglass back together  8)

https://americansportscar.com/product/pontiac-trans-amfirebird-bumper-1979-1981-rear/

Thanks
Forrest

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
Re: Stinger Fiberglass Rear Bumper Cover?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 01:29:59 PM »
I'd do it, if you or your shop are prepared for the work it'll take to make it straight and fit right. You seem to already know that it will be inevitable that it won't fit correctly right out the box.

I eventually plan on replacing my OEM front bumper with a fiberglass once I get the future paintjob. The fiberglass ones do take a ton of fitting, bodywork, and massaging to get them to have a factory fit, but you have the benefit of them never warping or losing their shape. I can't stand seeing '79's with the notorious floor-jack "grille warp" (usually on the driver side), which even my '79 has. With fiberglass, that's not an issue and they'll look straight and new forever.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:32:13 PM by nUcLeArEnVoY »
1979 Trans Am 400/4-Speed W72/WS6 - Starlight Black Hardtop

Re: Stinger Fiberglass Rear Bumper Cover?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 01:29:59 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!