Author Topic: Tight Power Steering  (Read 680 times)

VA79ta

• Active Forum Member
Tight Power Steering
« on: August 28, 2021, 11:09:34 AM »
So I'm having an issue with my power steering. I thought the gear was going bad and swapped it out, but there was no change. I have slop in the steering wheel, and making the adjustment on the worm gear does nothing for that. I can see the column moves as it should going into the gear. I did some measuring and there is a little more than 1.5" of travel before the wheel move in any direction.

2nd issue is that it is tight when steering left. There is almost no effort needed to go right, but when trying to bring the wheel back, added muscle is needed. I looked under the car and can not find anything binding when turning left. My only thinking on this is the pump is going out. Fluid level is where it needs to be. This one is baffling me.

Thanks

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Tight Power Steering
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 02:16:24 PM »
I would suggest jacking the front end up and safely putting the car on Jack stands or better yet the front wheels on crates. Have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth through the 1.5” of travel while you look underneath at the steering linkage. Look at both ends of the tie rods, the center drag link, the idler arm and pitman arm for any slop. It’s possible you have more than one worn part. The steering rag joint might also be worn. It is the part that connects the gearbox to the steering shaft, usually covered by a plastic housing.

The tight steering issue may not be related. Make sure fluid is up to the proper level. If you have to add fluid, run the engine and turn the wheel lock to lock at least half a dozen times.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Bluebandit

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 04:38:29 PM »
While you have it up on stands start the engine and see if the wheel will turn to the left by itself.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 04:38:29 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!