Author Topic: Dash exchange program?  (Read 1745 times)

tiggershark

• Active Forum Member
Dash exchange program?
« on: August 17, 2021, 07:17:10 AM »
 Sent my dash thru Second gen graveyard to be recovered back in April. Box arrives a few days ago. Lots of extra foam sprayed on the inside so I spent considerable amount of time carefully getting rid of any that would interfere with the install. They completely cover the radio opening, so I was about to cut that out when I noticed that this dash had not been cut out for a CD player like the one I sent in. Flipped it over to the front side and noticed the leading edge that mates to the steel speaker/windshield base was wavy. Other imperfections as well. This is not my dash! My OEM dash fit like a glove and just needed a color change, basically a 9.5 out of 10.  This one is sub-par. ( 5 out of 10) Called John and he apologized and said he'd look into it as it gets recovered in Texas and he's in Cali. Haven't heard back form him since. e-mail-text- phone calls, no answer--  I have someone elses dash who probably wants to mount their OEM radio back in it. I want my dash back. I hope this has a happy ending.

JJ 109

• Active Forum Member
Re: Dash exchange program?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 07:58:58 AM »
Most to all are somewhat wavy at the metal dash interface. Another member did managed to make his look better by shimming etc.

Not sure I follow your concern about the radio. Seems like having a non cut would give you more options.
JJ
76 pro tour project
Twin Turbo LS1
Detroit

tiggershark

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 08:04:44 AM »
The dash I received has 2 holes for knobs and a square opening to fit a stock radio/ 8 track. Mine was cut to fit my newer cd/ Bluetooth receiver., a rectangular opening. Mine was also in way better shape than the one I received. This dash looks to have bondo in it as well. I have a hard time posting pictures here but I will give it another try.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 04:51:33 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Not the first time I have heard about a bad experience with that vendor. Pure speculation but I would not have high hopes of getting 'your' dash back. Its probably on a shelf someplace or repaired and sent off to another customer by now. Good Luck.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 02:50:40 AM »
I had the same experience, but I didn't get an apology, I got worse than that. Al Knoch is quantity over quality.
1987 T/A GTA L98
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1978 T/A L80 WS6
1978 Formula L80 W50
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 02:50:40 AM »

tiggershark

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 06:36:53 AM »
I received a text from John yesterday asking for pictures to forward to  Elliot Knoch. I sent him a few. Knoch claims to have repaired the radio opening and put it back to "stock". I have been hesitant to cut it apart for my CD receiver because I believed I would be sending it back or at least sending it to the original owner. It looks like I'm stuck with this dash.   John has been helpful.  If you plan on using their service, use a paint pen/paint pencil and write your name along the metal piece and take pictures. I didnt ask to have my radio opening "repaired" and it sounds like extra work so you can see why i question it. We'll see what happens next.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 01:30:42 PM by tiggershark »

tiggershark

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 01:28:36 PM »
Well good news to report. 1st off it was more than likely my dash all along. They repair all radio openings and put them back to stock. They also said they will redo the dash because it had some issues that were unacceptable. Turn around time will be 3 to 4 days after they receive it.  John at sencond gen graveyard was a pleasure to work with. He forwarded all the pictures to Elliot Knoch and Elliot called me today and they will take care of everything. I'll post pictures when I get it back.  Looks to be a happy ending after all.

tiggershark

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 07:27:04 AM »
It will be easy to see where I had it cut out.  If you send a dash in, on the information sheet they provide, comment on what you want to do with the radio opening, leave it stock or??  quite a few have modified openings for newer radios/stereo's on these 40 some odd year old cars. When I bought the car back in 1981( it was 2 years old at the time-79) it had the AM/FM 8 track in it. I pulled it out almost immediately and replaced it with an am/fm cassette but used the original opening and tossed the original radio. Wish I kept it. The cassette deck died so I went with a CD media player and made it fit very well. Once everything is back in the car, I'll post pictures.

wheels78ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 01:48:19 PM »
Great to hear that you are getting this resolved.

I sent my dash to them at the end of June 2021.  My dash is uncut.  I called to make sure they got it.   I may have it back by 1/1/22.  Maybe.

John has been great to deal with.
Willie

1978 Gold Y88 4 spd W72 WS6 project
1987 K5 Blazer---The Crawler
2006 Chevy Silverado Z71----Hers
2005 Chevy Suburban 2500---The Hauler

tiggershark

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 08:26:44 AM »
Well the dash is in and it fits so-so. The covering is much better than dash #1. I sent dash #1 back and I marked it with permanent marker and scratched a few lines in it on the metal. That dash wasn't returned to me ( thank god) This dash has 1 wave/dip in it above the steering wheel where it mates to the metal speaker area and I shimmed it. It lifted other areas up as well when I did this. I will eventually pull the shim out if the dash takes a "set" and it should fit decent after that. Passenger side fits rather well. Today the gauges and the hvac duct work. Radio was installed before the dash went back in. I made a support for the back of it to eliminate squeaks and rattles. New radios don't come with a stud on the back any more, so I had to fabricate some aluminum pieces and put Velcro in between the radio and the brackets. Looks nice and works great. I'm putting the plastic duct work joints together with 3m black "rope" stuff that I used on the door weather barrier. Just to eliminate potential squeaks. Just a small piece and then screw them together. I've done this before and it does help. The entire interior has been replaced, carpet, rear speaker shelf,  speakers, seats, door panels,  windshield, drivers door window, headliner, dash, console, floor panels, etc. What's missing is that "new car smell"  I will post pictures soon. Previously a light blue interior is now black and gray.

TA301

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 03:12:37 PM »
Where are the pictures you said you will post?

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 03:12:37 PM »
You can help support TAC!