Author Topic: Replacement aluminum AC compressor vs. rebuil  (Read 2063 times)

Blkjack

• Forum Member
Replacement aluminum AC compressor vs. rebuil
« on: August 12, 2021, 09:56:52 AM »
Anyone here used the newer style aluminum A6 compressor in place of the OEM steel type. Pro's and con's?

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Replacement aluminum AC compressor vs. rebuil
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 10:34:29 AM »
Had mine for a few years now.  Seems to do the job well.  Smaller, lighter but still pulls the RPMS down like the old A6

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 01:30:04 PM »
I can speak from personal experience on the A6.

A6 are prone to a leaking front seal. In the early 70's when I worked on cars for a living, we replaced a lot of A6 compressor seals. Supposedly the carbon ceramic seal needs to be run somewhat frequently or it will leak. Not a good thing for a car that might sit for months without being driven. Even with frequent use they were somewhat prone to leaks, as I remember Cadillacs had a metal shield around the front clutch to help catch the oil slinging from the front pulley. They suck more horsepower than modern compressors. They weigh a lot more, take up more space and are noisier than modern compressors. The only plus I can think of is they look OEM. You may get a poor quality rebuild that doesn't hold up. If it self destructs, metal fragments could contaminate your AC system.

In my mind the only downfall of a modern compressor is the look. I suppose if you paint it black it might blend in better. There are multiple brands out there. Some might be better than others.

1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 03:50:49 PM »
Sanden FLX7 and the bkt from vintage air. 
I can post it all on the Facebook version of transamcountry. 
1979 Trans Am (Red)
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Ams (Dads)
2023 Mercedes E63s AMG Special Order

Blkjack

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 08:29:35 AM »
Had mine for a few years now.  Seems to do the job well.  Smaller, lighter but still pulls the RPMS down like the old A6
Do you recall having to change anything from stock?

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 08:29:35 AM »

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 10:41:53 AM »
To help the cooling at idle I replaced the Orifice tube with a VOT or variable orifice tube.  At idle it will restrict the flow of the R134a so that it stays in the condenser a little longer helping it cool before hitting the evaporator.  When the pressure is up, at higher RPM, the valve will open because now there is more air flowing over the condenser.  I didn't change the old tube and fin condenser.  It works well but the parallel condenser will extract more heat. 

75taguy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 12:12:16 PM »
When I restored my TA, I wanted to keep it original so I got an A6 Compressor. Within weeks, front seal went out, went through 3 compressors (all under warranty) before I spent a little more money and bought a new aluminum housing compressor. Can't tell you what brand, but it came from Napa and haven't had any problems with the compressor since .

MalteseFalcon

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 11:47:24 AM »
It looks like we're talking about a few different A/C compressors in this thread; I thought the OP was asking about the Old Air Pro6TEN Compressors available from Ames and elsewhere, which are claimed to be an improved, aluminum version of the original Harrison A-6 compressor that most of our cars came with. I know that 5th T/A commented on his experience with the original A-6 compressors (not good) and 75taguy mentioned that he replaced his A-6 with a new aluminum housing compressor, but it isn't clear what brand or design. olds403 mentioned the Sanden FLX7, which is another design of compressor.

What isn't clear to me (and I would like to know) is whether anyone has any experience with the Old Air Pro6TEN Compressors. If they work well, it looks to me as though they could be painted black and stickered to look like a Harrison, but could be more reliable and weigh HALF what the OEM A-6 does - and they weigh a lot.  See attached photo from the Ames catalog:
Steve

1978 WS6 - W72 4 Speed, Martinique Blue on Light Blue - Fire Am Restification Project
1972 Trans Am 455 HO 4 Speed (one of 458)

2000 WS6 6-Speed Trans Am, Black on Ebony (sold)
1976 455 4-Speed Trans Am, Goldenrod Yellow on Saddle (sold)
1976 455 4-Speed Trans Am, Firethorn Red on Firethorn Red (sold)

gstrandfarm9420

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 07:22:36 AM »
I have been asking the same questions. I have to start from scratch as all the brackets and compressor were removed by the previous owner. If pure function is the goal, a modern compact Sanden unit would make sense, but you sacrifice originality. If the aluminum A6 style is reliable, then that would be my first choice, but I don't want to end up replacing seals and freon every season either. Thanks for any input.

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 12:16:32 PM »
I have been asking the same questions. I have to start from scratch as all the brackets and compressor were removed by the previous owner. If pure function is the goal, a modern compact Sanden unit would make sense, but you sacrifice originality. If the aluminum A6 style is reliable, then that would be my first choice, but I don't want to end up replacing seals and freon every season either. Thanks for any input.
I was just looking into this last night. My project will not have the 403 going forward, so I was looking for a solution for both my 76 K5 my 92 Camaro, and the project. This seems like a good choice for Me.... https://www.originalair.com/upgrade-kits. My truck will be somewhat of a problem, but that was to be expected. The 92 will be simple bolt on, and the project will just be a Camaro as far as they are concerned...Worth a look, because all the new brackets are part of the exchange.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 12:24:12 PM »
I just installed an Original Air upgrade kit on my 77. I posted a thread about my experience with them and their product. I wouldn’t do it again at this point. If it were just a matter of purchasing a sanden compressor from them maybe but I dunno.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 06:25:39 PM »
I just installed an Original Air upgrade kit on my 77. I posted a thread about my experience with them and their product. I wouldn’t do it again at this point. If it were just a matter of purchasing a sanden compressor from them maybe but I dunno.
It sounds like it was not a good experience. Would you care to give your input. The only reason I would be considering it, is if I want AC in the project, I would have to source a bunch of parts....Going from a 403 to a SBC, I need the brackets to mount everything. Now truth be told, that could be some time down the road, but I'm not holding my breath that a 78 or later Camaro parts car is going to show up, and the engine I have is coming out of an 86 TA that not everything is going to just bolt on. So Please if you would be so kind, give us your impression..... 

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 06:35:56 PM »
-Brian-

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 12:02:28 AM »
Here’s a link to the thread I posted

http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=83899.0
OMG....What can I say to that. I guess I can give a little for the....Cough....Cough....But all of that is ridiculous....Well they just lost the potential sale of three Stage 1 Kits, and what ever other stuff my truck would have required. So I guess the 92 and the truck will just get converted.....the project....well I guess I look for a parts car....lol....Thanks For Your Putting That Out There Again. Regards.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2021, 10:50:10 AM »
Yea. I was hoping to be able to post about my experience in a positive way since I was so excited to install and use it. Once I had the issues I debated on posting anything at all and though maybe some of my issues could be handled during my “appointment”. Once they didn’t call me I decided I’d had enough and since I found very little info online from people who have installed one of those kits i thought it may be beneficial to share my experience. And to reiterate, it does work. It was just the other issues that disappointed me.
-Brian-

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2021, 10:50:10 AM »

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2021, 06:25:17 PM »
Yea. I was hoping to be able to post about my experience in a positive way since I was so excited to install and use it. Once I had the issues I debated on posting anything at all and though maybe some of my issues could be handled during my “appointment”. Once they didn’t call me I decided I’d had enough and since I found very little info online from people who have installed one of those kits i thought it may be beneficial to share my experience. And to reiterate, it does work. It was just the other issues that disappointed me.
Well I for one cannot thank you enough. I can do what has to be done, and I'm pretty good at MacGyvering stuff....but if I'm paying good money, I don't want 20 trips to Lowe's/Home Depot/Auto Zone/Oreillys....to make something work right out of the box. I think all facts considered, that you did an excellent job of making it work. But that's the point...For the money you paid, it should have been bolt on and go.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2021, 08:53:42 AM »
Well I for one cannot thank you enough. I can do what has to be done, and I'm pretty good at MacGyvering stuff....but if I'm paying good money, I don't want 20 trips to Lowe's/Home Depot/Auto Zone/Oreillys....to make something work right out of the box. I think all facts considered, that you did an excellent job of making it work. But that's the point...For the money you paid, it should have been bolt on and go.

Well good I’m glad it helped you. There hasn’t really any other response to my post so I’m happy to know it was found to be useful for at least one person. I haven’t priced it out but if I were to do it over again I may have considered just piecing all of the components together from various sources.
-Brian-

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2021, 04:11:01 PM »

Well good I’m glad it helped you. There hasn’t really any other response to my post so I’m happy to know it was found to be useful for at least one person. I haven’t priced it out but if I were to do it over again I may have considered just piecing all of the components together from various sources.
Well I may be the only one right now, but I have friends.....and Believe Me I will be passing your link along. Regards

DynoLee

• Active Forum Member
    • Lee's website
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2021, 08:49:30 AM »
A friend installed a Pro6ten in his '77 T/A several years ago, and has been very happy with it. 

MalteseFalcon

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2021, 01:23:00 PM »
A friend installed a Pro6ten in his '77 T/A several years ago, and has been very happy with it.

Thanks!
Steve

1978 WS6 - W72 4 Speed, Martinique Blue on Light Blue - Fire Am Restification Project
1972 Trans Am 455 HO 4 Speed (one of 458)

2000 WS6 6-Speed Trans Am, Black on Ebony (sold)
1976 455 4-Speed Trans Am, Goldenrod Yellow on Saddle (sold)
1976 455 4-Speed Trans Am, Firethorn Red on Firethorn Red (sold)

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2021, 01:23:00 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!