Author Topic: Question for welders  (Read 2093 times)

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Question for welders
« on: December 16, 2022, 06:37:54 PM »
Sorry if not in the best spot. Nonetheless, for you welders out there, I’ve been dabbling in flux core which has served its purpose for me but I’m in need of doing some sheet metal work and although I think I could do it with the flux core I’ve decided to pick up a standard MIG machine and get a bottle which leads me to my question. I already weld infrequently with the FC machine so I don’t want to dump a ton of money into a large bottle that’s going to sit. I’m aiming for somewhere in the 40-80 CF range so what is your opinion on which size would suit me. I understand that’s a bit subjective but I thought maybe you’d have some useful opinions/advice.

Thanks!
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

hakitup

• Oracle Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
Re: Question for welders
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 10:35:00 AM »
When I bought my setup I went with a 80CF bottle that was perfect for the time, I using 200CF now but I do a lot more welding now.

Tom H
"I don't know what you call it, I only know the sound it makes when it lies!!"

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 11:12:49 AM »
I have a pretty darn small one on my 110v mig welder. I do quite a bit of welding with it but it is all sheet metal with .023 wire. I am stating that because you do a lot of spot welding and jumping around on sheet metal vs 2-3" straight welding beads on 3/16 steel.  This small size has served me well for the last 30 years. But I do wish I had one size larger now as I do a lot more welding than I used to and I hate running to the welding store. I'll let you know what size it is but it is small.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 03:59:42 PM »
Thanks Tom.

Luke, if you wouldn’t mind I’d appreciate it. Also since you’re local to me, where do you go? I called around to a few places yesterday and one stuck out as having the best prices but they only offered a 20 CF and 80 CG tank as their small sizes. I almost feel like 80 would be way more than I need but I also don’t want to short change myself. Most of my MIG welding will be sheet metal. Larger stuff I can and probably would use my flux core machine unless it needs to be prettier.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 03:59:42 PM »
You can help support TAC!