Author Topic: E brake light doesn’t turn on when e brake is set  (Read 902 times)

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
E brake light doesn’t turn on when e brake is set
« on: August 08, 2021, 09:40:26 PM »
Hi - today when pressing the e brake down I noticed the e brake dash light isn’t turning on.  It does flash briefly when starting the T/A so I’m sure it’s not the bulb.  Can someone please remind me how I can fix this?

Thanks
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: E brake light doesn’t turn on when e brake is set
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 04:14:07 AM »
It's meant to come on with ignition as it's a shared warning light for the brakes, not just the e-brake being applied. I'd check the spring loaded switch that the pedal triggers, could be gummed up and not making contact when applied.

It's the small metal collar around the switch plunger that makes contact shown fully extended and touching in both these shots. Give it a twist bake and forth to make a clean scratch into the faces.

Likewise, make sure the wire is still in place and that the bullet-style end is pushed in and also making contact in the sleeve of the switch. Tan wire in bottom pic. You can see in this pic that the park brake is off which pushes the switch in and stops contact of the sleeve shown in the other 2.

70-81 park brake assembly pedal restored (2) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Park brake light switch 2nd gen 3 GM 3983909 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Park brake light switch flasher relay by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 04:16:32 AM by Wallington »

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 10:27:11 AM »
Thanks for your help! 
Darryl

Build thread:

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 12:19:33 PM »
The problem often is that it's stuck in and the light is one all of the time.

Regards, Jack

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 06:03:26 PM »
It would need to be stuck out all the time to trigger the light permanently, or as a result of damage which can occur from repeated releasing of the park brake and letting it fly, or adding a return spring, the fragile switch becomes the pedal stop. Have seen a few cracked, twisted or bent backwards. Either symptom can occur, permanently on as plunger no longer lines up with pedal, or not working as pushed beyond its normal operation and applying brake fully isn't far enough to make contact.
Either way, should be fairly obvious if any damage and can test by handle while watching it.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 06:03:26 PM »

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 08:54:11 PM »
Thanks guys.  I was able to get the switch working properly.  A little WD-40 and twisting the switch a bit got it working pretty smoothly again. 

I’ve also got the aftermarket kick panels with speakers which are causing the parking brake to release inward a bit and sometimes not hit the switch.  I trimmed the foot pad a bit.  Hopefully that’ll help. While they sound pretty good I wish they made these kick panels with a lower profile speaker setup.

Darryl

Build thread:

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 08:04:06 AM »
There's about a nut-width of unused thread on the mounting studs if you packed them up and moved the pedal sideways a little, possibly not worth the effort.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 08:04:06 AM »
You can help support TAC!