Author Topic: Brand New Early Second Gen Unibody  (Read 1315 times)

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
Brand New Early Second Gen Unibody
« on: June 12, 2021, 12:39:05 PM »
I just received the latest Classic Industries catalog and was paging through it. I've always been intrigued by the fact that you can buy a brand-new 67-69 Firebird completely assembled unibody. The cost seems reasonable also at around $13.5k. Nice way to get a rust free brand new body.

Always wondered why they aren't offering the second gen versions even though it seems like all the aftermarket sheet metal is available. Curious to see how much it would cost to build a 1973 myself using the individual parts, so I compiled a list. Started using the Classic Industries catalog but had to jump over to Summit Racing for some of the parts. I think I accounted for every piece. No front sub-frame or any sheet metal forward of the firewall, just the unibody like the first gens that are offered (includes doors and trunk lid). It came to a surprising total of only $8,721 which I think is pretty reasonable considering what rusted out originals go for. Obviously some assembly required.  :D

I wonder how well everything would fit together. I also don't know how you would handle the VIN on a project like this other than to buy as cheap a shell as possible and assemble around the VIN plate.

Here's the list of parts.
Gene

Savage Larry

• Active Forum Member
Re: Brand New Early Second Gen Unibody
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 12:53:34 PM »
That's interesting Gene! If all the sheet metal fit together like oem that would be the way to go on a lot of projects! If the sheet metal quality is anything like my experience with aftermarket side windows this idea would be a disaster.  If the quality is there it just may change my mind on a lot of these car I pass on!
Jay
Calgary, AB
1977 4 speed W72

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 01:41:46 PM »
Maybe the reason why they don't build these already, is that it's too much effort getting all the aftermarket parts to fit together.  But they've obviously been able to make it work with the first gens.

I was also under the impression previously that some critical items weren't reproduced yet, but was kind of surprised when building the list that everything appears to be available.
Gene

70_71_78

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 04:15:39 PM »
They are listed and priced, but are they stocked anywhere? In the past there were many cases where all the documentation said their was a product but nothing had been produced yet.

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 05:06:29 PM »
They are listed and priced, but are they stocked anywhere? In the past there were many cases where all the documentation said their was a product but nothing had been produced yet.

That's a good point. I just looked again at the "complete trunk floor with frame rails" listing on Classic's website and it says "Arriving Soon!". 

As an alternative though, there are other complete trunk floors available and the rear frame rails look to be available from other vendors.
Gene

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 05:06:29 PM »

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 07:55:37 PM »
I believe there's a piece by the tail lights that isn't available anywhere yet ("quarter filler panel" or some such name) but there was talk on another forum about sending some originals to be reproduced with a guesstimate of a year or more before availability.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 08:45:40 PM »
Now that you mention that John, I do recall a discussion on this piece. I think it's the part circled in the photo below.

I haven't seen that one available and didn't include it on the parts list, although it's small enough that it might be easy enough to fabricate from scratch.
Gene

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 10:41:43 PM »
Now that you mention that John, I do recall a discussion on this piece. I think it's the part circled in the photo below.

I haven't seen that one available and didn't include it on the parts list, although it's small enough that it might be easy enough to fabricate from scratch.

Not easy at all to make. I looked at possibly making them and including them with the other 2nd gen parts I make and sell (lab-14.com). It's bigger than you may think wrapping up over the top of the tail light opening. Too many compound curves and multiple bends to make accurately without a punch press or other expensive fabrication equipment. Ya, folks can beat and bang some pieces of thinner sheet metal for a loooong time and eventually make something (likely in sections) that they can weld in place and hide with seam sealer BUT it won't have the structural integrity (crash protection) of the factory piece.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

JJ 109

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 08:34:53 AM »
Very interesting. Would be a lot of labor too.

I had to replace quarters, inners, floors, dash (to smooth it) parts or rockers, door and fender bottoms, would have been an attractive option.

If I had known how bad it was , I would have scrapped it and found something else.

At least ended up with my car from high school.
JJ
76 pro tour project
Twin Turbo LS1
Detroit

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 11:26:36 AM »
Not sure about you guys but almost all of the larger body related parts I've purchased from Classic Industries have fit poorly.  Especially the bumpers.  Personally I'd be scared to see how all of these aftermarket parts end up fitting together. 
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 02:57:33 PM »
The early Dynacorn bodies were better made than what is currently available. I know one person that bought a Mustang and two others that bought Camaros. They are well "Crated", and if one was looking for a "Kit" Car where you had a donor. Fortunately the guy with the Mustang was just looking to replace an extremely rusty body and had a whole car to pick parts from...His take on the shell was its a good 20footer right out of the crate. Since he was building the car as a graduation present and knew it was going to get beat up in use, that was good enough for him. The other two guys were trying to build "Clone" Z28's and were not happy about the time spent working out all the little dings and dents. Body Shop time is expensive unless you can do it your self of know somebody. If I remember correctly there were some little things that the Original Bodies(GM) had that the Dynacorn bodies were done a little different. I think it was something that GM had a separate part and Dynacorn made it all one piece...not sure its been a while

nas t eh

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 09:16:23 PM »
I'm sure there is more than just this but my bodyguy was doing one for a customer and told me the lower rear valence is missing a seam on each side where the quarter panel meets the valence.
1973 T/A 455, 4 speed.

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 09:44:32 PM »
I don't remember exactly what was different/missing, it was before I retired, and that's going on 6yrs. I was considering a 69 Camaro, or the 70 Chevelle body, but at $13k+ I decided to just work with what I have. I saw the Mustang when it was finished, and it looked really good. Last conversation about the Camaro's, one was still waiting on a drive train decision, and the other was running an l98 TPI out of a 92 Firebird.

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 09:44:32 PM »
You can help support TAC!