Author Topic: I'm fixing my house  (Read 5602 times)

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
Re: I'm fixing my house
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2021, 10:26:10 AM »
Now that’s looking a lot more professional. Good job.

Thanks!  I should mention that as a young man I worked as a carpenter building custom homes, additions, and making repairs.   This is NOT the type of project I'd recommend to a DIY kinda person who might build a deck or garden shed.  I'd recommend folks hire a company like Kerry's if their home needs serious repairs like this. I wouldn't be doing this job myself if I didn't have to.

Kerry, I think your library guys moved down here!

5th, While the building codes have been updated there's so many fly by night companies (term company used loosely) offering homeowners cheap "we do it on a weekend" jobs it's amazing. I've had at least 10-15  soliciting for the job show up. They canvas neighborhoods here. A new law just went into effect July 1 because it's so bad here making it against the law to solicit roofing jobs. I've called another 20 or so companies for estimates trying to find one I'd trust to do the job. Haven't found one yet, two more supposed to come next week.

Anyway, with the structure repaired it was time to do vapor barrier & siding. Not fun for a lil old man working alone with no staging.  Always looks like a lot getting done when it has such a big visual impact but the time consuming work is in all the prep prior to putting on new exterior.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 12:04:23 PM by NOT A TA »
John Paige
Lab-14.com

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2021, 05:30:34 PM »
Looking good John, why not use a maintenance free siding?

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2021, 06:52:44 AM »
The t 1-11 will add a little strength to the truss. Hardi panel would be nice as far as wear and tear but still needs painted.  It used to be fairly hard to get a contractor license (not quite as hard as MD), to keep the fly by night guys at bay. Years ago when Mom and Dad bought a house there Dad thought about getting a license just because. After several hoops to jump through he gave up. FLA has laws protecting senior citizens also,  it is a punishable crime for a contractor that takes advantage of them.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2021, 11:03:36 AM »
This front section is the last part of the project. I did the back first (no siding) then the South end next which has siding. I only intended on replacing the two center sections of the T 1-11 (which had some rot) and figured I'd scrape & sand the remaining sections. After buying siding and tearing it apart I decided I'd just replace all of the siding. Since I'd already bought the T 1-11 I just continued with it. It'll last longer than I will.

I built new 2 X 4 framework for the soffits on the gable and started installing the 3/8" ply in the soffits.  Haven't been able to source the aluminum H channel I need that fits between the plywood sections as support & molding.  When previous repairs were done they threw away some of the pieces here and there so I've been robbing Peter to pay Paul reusing the old moldings after scraping/sanding as I worked around the house figuring I'd find new molding by the time I was ready to finish the front, but no dice.  If anyone knows where I can buy it please let me know.  I keep cutting panels and tacking in place but can't nail till I find the molding.  HD, Lowes, Ace, McMaster, don't have in stock at stores or for shipment and I've emailed the companies I found that make it but no reply.

EDIT: Yes Kerry, I'm leaving a small gap where the vapor barrier drops so any water that might find it's way through the siding seams can drain. I know you'd wonder if I knew (or remembered) to do that.

Here's where I'm at now and a pic of the H molding.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 11:17:04 AM by NOT A TA »
John Paige
Lab-14.com

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2021, 01:53:22 AM »
That’s looking a lot better.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Yhmt

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2021, 01:53:22 AM »

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2021, 01:19:17 PM »
Raining, so time to update!

Finally found a place to buy the H molding I needed so not having it only slowed me down a bit. Built new soffits and am working on the porch ceiling now.

The attic for the whole house had no functional ventilation when I started this project. Unbelievably hot up there during summer here in S FL and I'm sure I've been paying for it on my electric bill since the AC runs year round.  So I've installed 10 soffit vents in this section of the porch roof that extends over the living room and master bedroom. They'll let cool(er) air in to the bottom of the attic and now I've got to decide what to do to get the hot air out up top before the new roof goes on.

Also installing recessed LED lights with color change that are dimmable. My intention is to eliminate the traditional front door light. I've never liked lights next to the front door. They attract bugs and then when you open the door you end up with bugs in the house. Having the lights farther away from the door should reduce the number of bugs that get in the house which also reduces the number of spiders that can survive in the house since the bugs are spider food. Removing the old front door light should also clean up the streetview of the front of the house and maybe make it look a little more modern.

I positioned the lights based on on a few things. First I don't want the lights to be distracting when entering, so no direct line of sight to the actual lights when walking up. Knowing the beam angle I placed them so that the shadow created by the header trim should be just beyond the outside edge of the sidewalk so the walk gets direct light with no shadow line (hopefully haha). Finally, the height and pattern of direct light on the house wall should be aesthetically pleasing (we'll see haha).

John Paige
Lab-14.com

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2021, 02:20:46 PM »
Smart man with the lighting placement.

Good job John!  It ain’t “red car” but I approve haha
Mark's Cars Inc.

https://markscarsinc.com

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2021, 06:16:22 AM »
Can you install surface mounted roof vents near the ridge?  Im not sure about your local code regaring those in hurricane range. They make some low profile ones that may be good. A large power vent (I think you can get solar powered now) is good too. If youre doing a new roof def need something across the ridge. We use whats called a cobra vent (sorry trans am guys) that looks like velcro, then the caps go right on top. Not the old metal ridge vent.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2021, 08:08:10 AM »
That really looks great!
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2021, 09:11:03 AM »
Looking great John.

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2021, 09:28:44 AM »
Can you install surface mounted roof vents near the ridge?  Im not sure about your local code regaring those in hurricane range. They make some low profile ones that may be good. A large power vent (I think you can get solar powered now) is good too. If youre doing a new roof def need something across the ridge. We use whats called a cobra vent (sorry trans am guys) that looks like velcro, then the caps go right on top. Not the old metal ridge vent.

The Cobra ridge vent looks like an interesting product. Their installation video doesn't mention how the caps are held to (or through?) the Cobra product. Also noticed on GAFs website "In no case should the amount of exhaust ventilation at the ridge exceed the amount of soffit ventilation."   Curious as to the reason why and if powered vents are used how would that change any soffit to ridge vent size calculations. Is it wise or possible to use a combination of both passive and active vents? The passive vents might be enough during our cooler months and thermostat controlled power vents would run mostly during daylight hours in the warmer months.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:31:31 AM by NOT A TA »
John Paige
Lab-14.com

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2021, 03:18:46 PM »
For asphalt shingles the caps go over top the cobra and nail on like normal, only using something like 2, 21/2" roofing nails. The roll of vent usually comes with a bag of long nails just for that. I would not have a problem mixing vents. Maybe 2 passive and 1 powered.

Many years ago I had an uncle that was a real estate developer, landlord guy. He owned dozens of rental homes. My brother and myself spent every saturday for all one summer installing passive vents in his homes. These were the old mushroom, spinner types. We had a system down pat. Could do 5 or 6 in a day. A lot of the houses were side by side, didnt even have to move the truck :grin:
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2021, 05:40:26 PM »
We call those “whirlybirds” down here lol
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2021, 09:54:26 PM »
We call those “whirlybirds” down here lol

Called spinners by locals here. They're kinda ugly and since most of the homes in my area are single story ranches they get put on the back side so they're not visible from the road. Some of my neighbors have them I noticed when I was up on my roof and can see all the neighbors roofs.  I'm only 2 miles from the Atlantic so most of the time there's at least a breeze and often it's more of a steady wind. The spinners rarely stop and when it's windy they're crankin!  Always wondered how fast they spin during a hurricane when wind is well over 100 MPH.

As with most projects there's usually scope creep. In this case I decided since I needed to open the wall for new conduit and wiring for the porch lights I should also install recessed lighting in the living room since I've been saying I'd do it "some day". In the pic below you can see 70's South FL cheap construction. Concrete block wall (because hurricanes) with 3/4" X 1-1/2" wood strips nailed to it (pretending to be studs) with an aluminized vapor barrier and sheet rock. Notice I didn't mention insulation, because there isn't any! Just a 3/4" air gap between the block wall & vapor barrier.

One light switch controlled the light outside and will be used to operate the new porch lights while the other controlled an electrical outlet inside the front door as was common back when the house was built so you could plug a light in which you'd turn on with the switch when entering. I'll wire the wall plug so it's always live and use that switch to power the recessed LEDs in the living room ceiling.

A few posts ago I mentioned I had a couple more companies coming to look at the roof job. One actually sent me an estimate! Although it was just a basic form they entered my roof size into and had a computer spit it out. It didn't have any of the specifics I mentioned to the salesman. However at least they sent an estimate! first one after almost 25 companies!

The next salesman looked around and measured, then started blabbing about the company and their work. Apparently the sales people can impress homeowners saying we use this weight paper and we use that brand of shingle. I said "ya, ya, ya, I'll just need a couple addresses of jobs you're doing now so I can go there while they're working and observe." Then he asked for my email address, then while playing with his phone to enter my email address he said "oh, never mind it's already in our computer system for your address" I said "Wait what?" and he replied by spouting off the previous homeowners email address. Turns out they were the company that put the last crappy roof on! So needless to say they didn't send an estimate after I'd pointed out a bunch of the poor quality work that had caused rot, termite damage, etc.

Another company (that had been referred to me) was supposed to come during this week to look at the job but like many, no one contacted me or showed up. This happens a lot. I can't imagine running a business the way they do here.

John Paige
Lab-14.com

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2021, 03:08:07 AM »
Spinning extractor roof vents are really popular in Australia.....just about every house has them.
The best ones have an extractor fan array in the ventilator tube that’s connected to the spinning top.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia

Former Firebirds -
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2021, 03:08:07 AM »

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2021, 06:41:44 AM »
Why does it have to be so hard to find contractors that do a good job?

I have only had one job done start to finish that I was happy with and was problem free. they even came back when to repair an issue that had popped up with the tub installation.

I know they are out there but I think they are few and far between!!

Good luck getting someone of quality for that roof!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(22 years and counting but still have her)
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=79648.0

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2021, 12:12:51 PM »

I have only had one job done start to finish that I was happy with and was problem free. they even came back when to repair an issue that had popped up with the tub installation.

Finding good contractors here is a huge issue. My two cases here.

House needed a new AC system when I bought it. Called about 10 contractors, about a half dozen showed up to look at the house, three gave me an estimate. Being from the North and never had central air I didn't know much about central AC systems (plus I was still sick with the Lyme) I picked the middle price company. They installed a 4 ton air handler and a 1 1/2 ton condenser so it wasn't cooling properly. I called them back out several times and they gave me weak excuses. Later on I learned about the mismatched components which has continued to cause ongoing cooling problems. Not only that but the air handler has a 50 amp heating element (oversize toaster) and they putr it on a 40 amp breaker so the following winter when I tried to use the heat on one of our rare occasions it's cool enough to want heat the breaker kept flipping. Eventually I figured out why and disconnected 1/2 of the heating element since the AC company had stopped returning my calls. Been that way since and it struggles if our temp outside goes below 50F.

I had to hire a GC to do the interior renovation after the burglary/flood because it was a documented mold case which requires licensed contractor to do the job. City would not let me do the work. Contacted about 15 companies and got only three estimates again. Picked the more expensive company with the fancy glossy brochures etc. and they did a horrible job! Been 15 years since then and I'm still fixing their work.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 12:15:32 PM by NOT A TA »
John Paige
Lab-14.com

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2021, 12:45:43 PM »

You guys arent calling the right guy  :grin:  LOL.  Seriously though, I cringe everytime I hear stories like this. I am a 4th generation builder, stand behind everything we do. I have never advertised and stay plenty busy. I do have a core group of customers though. About 60%-70% is repeat business. I stay small intentionally, and will stay on a job from start to finish. I could be doing much more work (and making a lot more money) if I hired a couple of people but I dont want that hassle.  Charlie, my brother in Peterborough says the same and he is in the construction business. He keeps telling me to move north and 'I could write my own ticket', but I dont like the long winters  :shock:
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2021, 06:41:08 PM »
John, most likely it's too late for you but you could have gone with a heat pump, very common in the south and the technology is efficient enough that it is being used here in the north. The problem with heat pumps was that they never operated in the winter and an electrical element was always required. Now they have units that will operate all the way when the temp is near zero. 

Regards, Jack

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2021, 09:01:04 PM »
Kerry, when I lived up North I knew a buddy or a good contractor for anything I didn't want (or have the time) to do. Had a small company (I'd seen working near my store) strip the roof to the framework and put a new roof on my house. Chimney needed work above the roof line so I had a guy do that while the roof was being done. The chimney and roof were great! So I hired them to build a custom deck I designed. Excellent job! Needed a new water line from street through concrete wall so I called my buddy Sal to do the line (using a different route) because needed a backhoe & permits there and I did the concrete work myself. Here I have no buddy network for construction type stuff and it's killing me. Here I'm the carpenter, concrete guy, electrician, sheet rocker/taper,  painter, and plumber.

Jack, I hadn't seen or heard of heat pumps being used here although they crossed my mind because I'd built solar homes that used them. Perhaps they're not popular here because we really don't need the heating aspect so just a regular AC is more efficient overall? Some years I've only turned on the heat once in early winter as a test but never needed it at all, other years it might get turned on a couple nights. Only been two winters in 16 years I remember using it a maybe a week each time and even then only at night because I've acclimated to the warmer climate and below 73 seems cool.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2021, 08:11:53 PM »
Finally hired a roofing contractor that "seems" like a good fit for my job. They're going to strip the old roof, replace plywood, and put down a couple layers of paper then give me a few days to replace trim in areas where I need all the drip edge and roofing nails out of my way. Then they'll come and install the new shingles. Owens Corning shingles with their version of the Cobra ridge vents Kerry suggested. No spinner or other vents requiring holes in the roof. Shingles may take 10-12 weeks to arrive so I'll probably have to replace the blue tarps as they're not looking like they're holding up very well.

Meanwhile I just keep working! Today was priming and painting the ceiling panels for the porch. Normally I'd put them up then paint everything at once but I want to keep easy access to that section of the attic area until the plywood decking is replaced. Meanwhile I'm trying to get as much done as possible while waiting on shingles, so might as well paint everything I can.

John Paige
Lab-14.com

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2021, 07:01:24 AM »
WoW, that is a long wait for shingles. I havent bought any for quite awhile but am not surprised. Vinyl siding was a long lead time, not sure what it currently is but I have a big job to do. Hopefully its not that long.  It will cost a little more money but instead of keeping an eye on a flapping tarp you might want to look into what is called a 'super felt'. There are several brands, they are more like the plastic tarps than actual felt paper. Come in 4' rolls, nailed about every couple of square feet with a cap nail and it will serve the purpose for quite awhile.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2021, 07:15:18 AM »
Finally hired a roofing contractor that "seems" like a good fit for my job. They're going to strip the old roof, replace plywood, and put down a couple layers of paper then give me a few days to replace trim in areas where I need all the drip edge and roofing nails out of my way. Then they'll come and install the new shingles. Owens Corning shingles with their version of the Cobra ridge vents Kerry suggested. No spinner or other vents requiring holes in the roof. Shingles may take 10-12 weeks to arrive so I'll probably have to replace the blue tarps as they're not looking like they're holding up very well.   

Ridge vents are the way to go.  Warm air rises, and the highest point on your home is the ridge.  If you've ever worked on a roof with ridge vents on a hot day, you know how well they work when you go by one and the attic heat is radiating out.  Plus they look so much better, and no moving parts.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2021, 11:42:11 AM »
WoW, that is a long wait for shingles. I havent bought any for quite awhile but am not surprised. Vinyl siding was a long lead time, not sure what it currently is but I have a big job to do. Hopefully its not that long.  It will cost a little more money but instead of keeping an eye on a flapping tarp you might want to look into what is called a 'super felt'. There are several brands, they are more like the plastic tarps than actual felt paper. Come in 4' rolls, nailed about every couple of square feet with a cap nail and it will serve the purpose for quite awhile.

I suspect the hurricane that was over in the Gulf this past hurricane season increased demand quite a bit while many industries are struggling with supplies already. Tarps are pretty cheap compared with felt, cost to cover 1/4 of the roof was a little under $100.00 so I'll probably just replace it since I've already got all the 1" X 2" strips cut and can just reuse them.

John Paige
Lab-14.com

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
Apparently shingles won't be a long wait!

John Paige
Lab-14.com

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2021, 12:30:03 PM »
That's good news!
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2021, 03:47:59 PM »
Holy Cow, I hope they finished before lunch!  Doesnt look like that guy has any problem finding help.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2021, 07:19:04 PM »
Looks really good. Just got back from Delray.Was down for the weekend to see parents. Stayed with my sister , Sherwood Park area. Will be back for a couple weeks late February. Weekend was to short but better than nothing.
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2021, 09:17:25 AM »
Holy Cow, I hope they finished before lunch!  Doesnt look like that guy has any problem finding help.

There were about 10-12 guys, tried counting but they were everywhere! Lots of new decking as I expected and my guess of 15 sheets was right on the money with 1/2 sheet left. Now I have to finish up the trim work and fix all the overhanging plywood edges where drip edge will go so everything looks sorta square and level. Then they'll come back and install drip edge and shingles.

John Paige
Lab-14.com

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2021, 09:26:25 AM »
Looks really good. Just got back from Delray.Was down for the weekend to see parents. Stayed with my sister , Sherwood Park area. Will be back for a couple weeks late February. Weekend was to short but better than nothing.

Sherwood park is pretty close to where I live, maybe 10 minutes by car mostly due to traffic lights on Military. Let me know if you have some free time when you come down.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2021, 09:34:26 AM »
I guess with a big crew you can slam down more jobs.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia

Former Firebirds -
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2021, 10:50:26 AM »
I guess with a big crew you can slam down more jobs.
You don't know how true that is. A few months back a neighbor had a couple of trees removed. Same basic situation as me, backed up on an alley, trees growing up into the power lines. Every once in a while the City would send a crew to trim them away from the power lines....but that just makes them grow over into the yard. Fast forward I decide mine have to go. The neighbors crew shows up, 2 guys and a boom truck with a chipper and truck. All day job for the same size trees. 6 guys show to cut mine with a chipper and truck and a pickup hauling a trailer with a stump grinder....Done in four hours, stumps ground, had lunch, and on to another job.

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2021, 06:21:30 PM »
Will do! Will be down for about 10 days in late February. There is one traffic light in our town, you have traffic lights for your traffic lights. Lol  Your house looks like it's coming along good. Keep up the good work.
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2021, 09:06:25 PM »
The roof is installed!

I'm really picky about things being done "right" so when dealing with others work I constantly remind myself "If you don't expect too much you won't be disappointed."  However I was still disappointed.

As I mentioned previously I don't understand how they can run companies so poorly here. This company has been around for decades and has a very good reputation yet they didn't seem to do anything well, except work fast. If I hadn't been constantly monitoring their activities, fixing their mistakes and poor quality work, and actually stopping them during work (while shingling) to tell them they weren't doing certain things the way they were supposed to, I wouldn't have gotten nearly as good of a job overall as it eventually turned out. Yes there would have been pretty new drip edge and shingles, it probably wouldn't leak right away, and the average person wouldn't be able to see the difference from the street or a walk around but the first hurricane would have shredded the roof right off the house.

On three different occasions workers showed up to work on the roof...... without a ladder! Imagine a roofer ringing the doorbell of the homeowner to ask if they could borrow a ladder. Oh ya, and the request was in some kind of muted hand gesture sign language because they don't speak english. Roofing company trucks without ladders? ummmmmmm

I specified to include 15 sheets of plywood in the original contract based on what I'd found working on the house and told the salesman it might actually need more and if so that was fine with me. Discussed it with the supervisor the day before the tear off and made sure he knew I expected at least 15 sheets would need replacing. The day they were to do that work they showed up with 5 sheets of plywood. Not having materials show up before needed was a recurring thing I kept up with, inventory control is apparently almost non existant.

There was a change from 3" drip edge (in contract) to 2" drip edge made upon recommendation of the supervisor which I agreed upon. This caused a cascade of problems when workers were being told different things by the foreman, supervisor, and me while installing the new decking and some of the workers didn't speak any english so there were translation issues also. The result was that they didn't trim any of the new wood correctly (or the existing decking to the new length) on the edges and didn't nail any of the entire perimeter which is supposed to be nailed every 4" with 2 1/2" ring shank nails for hurricane building code compliance.  I ended up having to use a cats paw and remove all the nails hoilding the tar paper down to the overhangs so I could trim the decking on the entire perimeter of the roof with a jigsaw. Once that was done I then had to renail/seal the paper back in place.  Took me an extra 2 weeks working every day on top of the trim work I needed to do before they could install the shingles. It was only when I peeled up the paper that I realized they hadn't nailed any of the decking to the framework of the overhangs. So literally none of the decking was actually nailed to the frame of the house for 2' all the way around the perimeter the house! The only thing nailing the plywood to the frame would have been the randon roof nail holding the tar paper or shingles that just happened to hit a 2 X 4.

I had multiple discussions with the salesman, supervisor, and job foreman prior to any work starting to inform them that none of the decking on the overhangs anywhere on the house were nailed down because all of the old nails were cut below the plywood so I could replace all the bad 2 X 4's in the soffits.   Yet none of the new or old decking was nailed before the tar paper was installed and then I had to remind them again that they needed to go around the whole house and nail every 4" before drip edge was installed because they started installing the drip edge without nailing the decking first.

Seems like they try so hard to be fast that doing a good job is secondary. I actually had to stop the roofers and make them take shingles off and reinstall them correctly even though I'd witnessed the supervisor explain to them twice how the valleys were to be cut. The only thing I couldn't fix before it was too late (or after they were done) was the courses of shingles not being straight or even. I didn't see that till they were already packed up and gone.  If I didn't have so much other work to finish myself I'd probably go tear off the shingles and fix it.

Here's a few of the types of things I wasn't happy with, there were more.

Luckily because of the low pitch of the roof and designer shingles you can't really see the crooked courses of shingles from the ground/street. If it was really visible I'd take it up with the company. I may fix it myself, but it would be time consuming because of the valleys, venting, and ridge cap involved.

So on another subject, my planned work has been moving along although I did lose a couple weeks because of the roofing perimeter debacle. All of the trim work on the soffits is complete. Ceiling on the porch is installed and I'm painting. Once the paint work on everything I'm finished working on is done I'll trim in the header box and posts on the porch. Still trying to decide on a "look" for the columns.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 10:07:28 PM by NOT A TA »
John Paige
Lab-14.com

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 09:27:01 PM by NOT A TA »
John Paige
Lab-14.com

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2021, 09:43:42 PM »
I can't even imagine what you have had to deal with...
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2021, 08:00:31 AM »
WOW!  Am I surprised, not really. I often have to remind myself these are the kind of people I am bidding against, although I dont do roofs anymore. Your work on the rest of the house looks great and things are finally coming together for you so thats a good thing  :grin: In the old days we would strike a double start line and also a horizontal chalk line at each course. Even with all this 'extra' work we could knock out a roof pretty quick. When the dimensional shingles came out there was no longer a need for start lines but we still would strike them for the coarsing. Hired a couple of young bucks that knew more  :shock: and those guys wouldnt strike anything. Just go off the shadow line of the shingle. Thats ok if youre paying attention but you can get into trouble pretty quick as well. Then there was the time that the shingles kept coming off a bank roof we did. Sent the same employee that installed to go back for repairs. After 2 or 3 unsuccessful tries I finally went out. Most of the shingles he installed had 2 nails only, some only had 1 nail! There were few with NO nails, no kidding. The shingles literally started to fall off in complete rows. Needless to say he was on the unemployment line and we went back at our expense, stripped the side he did and re shingled.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter