Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 1275 times)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Dogs
« on: June 23, 2022, 07:12:30 AM »
Not sure if there was a thread here before about shop dogs. How many of you guys have a 'special' family member?
I saw on the news this morning that a Bloodhound won the Westminster show last night. I saw a blip of it on tv but thought it was a rerun as this usually happens around Feb. My wife used to have a Boxer that was a show dog. Dog shows are a whole different world altogether.
We now have a couple of Chihuahua's and a Pomeranian.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 02:57:08 PM »
I can’t call my mutt a real shop dog, but he is a great companion. Since I retired he is responsible for me walking him 4-5 miles every day. I have had dogs all my life, this one is my all time favorite. If you are a dog person you understand.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 06:15:48 PM »
Not a shop dog per se but this is ours. She’s a mix of some sort. We’ve had her almost 6 years now and she’s a great dog. I had dogs growing up but she’s my first as an adult. She rarely barks, listens well (inside) and gets along with our two cats just fine. Only “issue” is she’s not trustworthy off leash which is probably partially a result of lack of training with her on my part.

Growing up, we had a dog that we could let out with us at our cabin in the U.P. And she’d wander into the woods or down to the dock. No matter where, if you called her, she came running. Cant say as much for our dog now but aside from that I couldn’t ask for a better dog.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 05:48:04 AM »
2019-08-27_09-33-34 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2019-08-27_09-22-15 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
Long hair is Sebastion, the short hair is my baby Madeline!!  I would be lost without her. We didnt have pets when I grew up, and I was the furthest thing from liking dogs. My wife was the dog person and brought them (with my reluctance) into the household. She had medium sized dogs, then after a few years we started with boxers. Had a couple of them before we ended up with the show dog. He was a beautiful example and all around great dog. Boxers are fantastic pets. Unfortunately he had a brain tumor after about 4 years and we lost him. Fast forward to the Chihuahua's. I never care for dogs, let alone small yappy ones, BUT after have these little guys I doubt I would ever get a big dog again. They are on or about my lap every evening and make great 'therapy' after a stressful day. Yes, I am comfortable enough in my masculinity to admit I love my little dogs sitting on my lap! :lol:
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 05:56:53 AM »
My sister has a couple of chihuahuas and they’re pretty cool. One is very partial to her but for some reason the dog loves me. Her other one, not as sociable but they’re cool nonetheless.
-Brian-

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 05:56:53 AM »

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 06:31:45 AM »
We have a cat, does that count?

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 01:47:41 PM »
Yes it does Rich :-D

Funny thing about our Chi's. My wife got her first and she was a great dog with a great disposition. Came from Indiana which is a bit of a haul from MD to pick up a dog! It was at a major name pet store getting groomed and they killed it!! They did buy her a new puppy. Got it from the same breeder. It was the short hair black one above. As soon as the dog came home she gravitated to me like a magnet. I did nothing to encourage but she was on my lap and ran to me when I got home. Needless to say my wife was not happy :sad: SO, off to Indiana for the 3rd time. Thats when the long hair came around. They have the same dad, diff. mother. Same deal. He came right to me the first time and thats all she wrote. I didnt want one dog let alone two!! now, here they were. A few months go by, Im off to Daytona for bike week and my wife calls to say she bought a Pomeranian and I am not allowed to even look at it :shock: So for the first couple of months I didnt pay a bit of attention and acted like the dog wasnt even there. That took a hold to my wife. We joke that I am the dog whisperer of the family.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 05:31:27 PM »
Kerry, it is funny how our lives mirror each other.  When we got married back in 2000 my wife and I got a black and tan Chihuahua that looked identical to you little girl. He was a great dog. My wife and I were talking about him yesterday.  We lived in the country (we still do but a different town) my daughter was turning 2 and I was building here a play set and he was out with me and a lady was walking her dog on the other side of the street and for some reason he ran out to them and a can took him out before I could do anything. That was 13 years ago last week. It was for the better as we later found out that my daughter's health issues we mainly because she was allergic to him. So, like I say, every happens for a reason.... As soon as she moves out, we're getting another one! (Daughter knows it and is excited to come see it for short visits....
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 08:19:18 PM »
We have a cat, does that count?

We have two in addition to the dog, so yes. I affectionately call them panic and chaos. Personality traits. You get the idea. Also, Pinky, and The Brain if anyone remembers that 90s cartoon.
-Brian-

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 09:10:48 AM »
3 cats and a Pug here.  We back up against a hillside so the cats keep the mice out of the house for the most part.  They all get along very well.

The Pug is my first small dog I’ve had after having Siberian Huskies and a 150lb Alaskan Malamute.  I have to say it’s a lot easier to maneuver the Pug around   :grin:

Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 06:12:43 PM »
Pug is another of those that was on the very bottom of the list of dogs I would own. We lost our 'theodore' about a year or two ago. He was a great little guy, lived a long life. We joke that owners look like their dogs, and our pug was my look alike, LOL. He had the same disposition as well, eat, lay around and sleep!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2022, 10:05:03 PM »
Pug is another of those that was on the very bottom of the list of dogs I would own. We lost our 'theodore' about a year or two ago. He was a great little guy, lived a long life. We joke that owners look like their dogs, and our pug was my look alike, LOL. He had the same disposition as well, eat, lay around and sleep!

LOL.  I’ll avoid posting a selfie here😀.  Yeah I have to say our pug is actually the best dog we’ve had to date.  They definitely have some breathing / snoring issues but she’s super with our kids and the cats. Extremely loyal and loving dog too.
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2022, 06:54:51 AM »
John got this little guy few months ago... what a fun puppy.

Regards, Jack

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 01:04:54 PM »
2 GSD's - brothers from my 1st GSD, will turn 11 early next month.

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 02:21:54 PM »
Our last dog was a mixture of toy poodle and cocker spaniel, She lived to be 18 1/2 years. By the time we had her put down, she was blind, deaf and could barely walk. My wife said "no more dogs" because we became too attached to this one. She never wants to go through the heartbreak of losing another dog.

Three days later we dropped off a new unopened bag of dog food at a dog rescue facility. The lady said, "you should take a look at our dogs". We see this mutt who is super friendly, we said we will think about it. We were on our motorcycles, every time we stopped at a light my wife would say what do you think about the dog. We finished our ride and tried to call, but the place was closed. The next morning, I was at their door with a check in hand.

This guy's name is Rocket, named by the woman who rescued him. Almost an unbelievable story, she witnessed him being tossed out of a car at a gas station in a snowstorm. She said it took her nearly an hour to finally catch him because he kept running away. The woman who was a single mother and a Vet Tech couldn't keep him because she had three other dogs. We were told he was about one year old when we got him, that was almost seven years ago.

He was a real handful when we got him, it took a lot of training to get him under control. I can now say without hesitation he is the best dog I have ever had. Extremely well behaved and extremely affectionate.

IMG_8510 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

IMG_0794 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 02:21:54 PM »

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2022, 04:21:43 PM »
...she witnessed him being tossed out of a car at a gas station in a snowstorm...

Bottom ring of Hell material there.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2022, 05:46:22 AM »
Great story Larry.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2022, 02:56:47 PM »
Here's mine...He's a rescue with a ton of baggage....This is as relaxed as he gets after going on 7yrs with us.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2022, 05:06:20 PM »
He……looks like he has a bit of evil in his eyes lol
-Brian-

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2022, 05:21:12 PM »
Nah....He still..... after all this time is worried that he will do something....ANYTHING....and it will be back to the life he had before us. We had him for about three months before he even made a sound...I thought he had been De-Barked...because all we ever heard was kind of a gurgling sound...He really.... out of the pound was pretty well behaved, but we quickly found out, that he had no idea what "Play" was. Whom ever had him before us must have passed him around, so he was constantly having to adapt to "New" rules. All its taken is a little effort to understand and a lot of love.....   

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2022, 07:38:48 PM »
Nah....He still..... after all this time is worried that he will do something....ANYTHING....and it will be back to the life he had before us. We had him for about three months before he even made a sound...I thought he had been De-Barked...because all we ever heard was kind of a gurgling sound...He really.... out of the pound was pretty well behaved, but we quickly found out, that he had no idea what "Play" was. Whom ever had him before us must have passed him around, so he was constantly having to adapt to "New" rules. All its taken is a little effort to understand and a lot of love.....   

Ah well that’s good. Rescue dogs can be great. Ours certainly has been.
-Brian-

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2022, 07:38:48 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!