Author Topic: Aftermarket power door locks  (Read 1131 times)

jugalo

• Active Forum Member
Aftermarket power door locks
« on: April 08, 2021, 06:02:58 PM »
Im sure this has been discussed before, but its gone. So I will ask again. Are there any recommended kits for 79-81 that work well and install well? I have power windows but no factory locks.

Thanks in advance.

I do have the American Autowire power window, locks kit with the wiring and relays btw.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 09:22:23 AM by jugalo »
1980 Turbo Trans Am Restomod (in work)
Fiero Bronze 400/200-4r

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
Re: Aftermarket power door locks
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 07:26:59 AM »
To me there are 3 areas of this.  You need wiring, you need the solenoids, and you need to make the solenoid fit.  You could piece some of this together with junkyard parts, but maybe you don't want to.   The cool thing about it is that you can get solenoids everywhere that'll work.

I just bought myself a lifetime supply, for my own cars, of these:
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/Relays-Contactors-Solenoids/Electromechanical-Solenoids/12-Volt-DC-Power-Door-Lock-Push-Pull-Solenoid-Black-Widow-PDL-50-BOX-11-3346.axd

I don't exactly recommend them, but for the money, I figured I'd get by with these for solenoid replacement only.  I am already running one of them in the Redbird, but it had locks originally.  Just about anything will fit if you're open to have a screw hole moved over a little.  The top link is pretty standardized.  I just installed a similar setup into a car without power locks (not a Firebird) and really it seems to be fine.  The clamp-on-to-the lock knob is a means of making it fit anything, and you could do better than that.  You could make a linkage to the original location.  The kit I installed was this:
https://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=W01F
I don't like the controller in this kit, and 2nd-gen Firebirds never used one.  I just mention it because the solenoids obviously came from another supplier.  The same supplier, probably for this:
https://screamingchicken.com/1970-81-camaro-firebird-door-lock-install-kit/
Which is direct fit.  $119 with the actuators.  It's a lot, right, compared to $5.10, but it'll fit.

On the wiring side of it, your car, if manual windows, will be missing the rubber bellows for wiring to the door.  If you do have power windows, it'll be there, but it sure is hard to get a wire through it.  You can do it.  If you don't have the bellows, I'm not sure anybody makes it.  You'll find plenty of kits online "for a 1970 Firebird Camaro" but I don't see this bellows.  Once you get something to work there, you have to decide if you want a GM power door lock switch on each door (which these are common as an old shoe) or whether you want a pre-1978 single toggle on the dash, or neither.  The dash switches are kinda rare.  It seems to me that it's popular now to use wireless and just ignore this problem.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

jugalo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 09:21:45 AM »
OK, I appreciate it. You have been a big help!

I should have mentioned it and Ill add it to my OP. But I do have the American Autowire power window, locks kit.  So I don't need wiring and relays. But I do like the keyless remotes that screaming chicken has.

I guess I need a wireless kit and actuators?

Im a bit ignorant in this area.
Fiero Bronze 400/200-4r

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 08:40:25 PM »
I sourced original 78-92 actuators and brackets, installed as per stock in my non power-locks car. I also wanted them for keyless entry and had the local auto electrician combine them into an immobiliser/keyless setup with remote. He also had his actuators of choice for custom setups but not needed. They have a good idea of which are quality items and which are cheap knockoffs. There are no extra door trim lock switches added. There is an added relay for trunk release by remote also, if you have a power trunk option already.

I also looked at the Modo Innovations setup years ago and spoke to them about different ideas before settling on my own version. I think LeighP also used this setup, had pics and post on here once. If I hadn't found the original actuator brackets and rods, and NOS parts. I'd have used something like this. They would be a a fair amount lighter and probably use less power to operate, but I'm not sure how many would still be operating in 20-30 years.

Jerry455

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 06:27:16 PM »
I am doing this project right now. I am adding power locks to my 1976 Firebird. I couldn't find a new dash mounted power door lock switch. I decided to put the switches on the doors like the 1978 and up cars. I bought new solenoids from Auto Zone for a 1980 Firebird for about $49 or so and bought the switches and connectors for the switches from Ecklers. They were the cheapest. The switches and connectors were from a 1978 Corvette, which looked the same as 78 Firebird. I had some old lock rods from a B body wagon, I could not find F body rods for the solenoids. I cut and shortened and then rewelded them. I have both sides in and am finishing up the passenger door wiring. I should be done this week.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 06:27:16 PM »

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 10:18:13 AM »
I'll just add here that 1978 two-switch wiring harness is pretty strange.  the reason it's so strange is that they built it so you can't blow the fuse by using one switch up and one switch down at the same time.  When you look at it, it seems like there are way too many wires to do what it needs to do.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

jugalo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 10:32:45 AM »
update:

I wound up with this... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDLUTPC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Its a great option for $33.

Install was a breeze. I had to add a relay for the trunk, but it works great, I am impressed for the value of this Chinese junk (actually decent quality for the $$). Its light and totally stealth. Who knows how long it will last but I would bet the same slave factory is making these as many other more expensive units.  I recommend it if you are rebuilding your doors!

Fiero Bronze 400/200-4r

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 10:32:45 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!