Author Topic: TH-350 - Hurst Dual Gate Shifter - Actual Gear Not Matching the Console Display  (Read 835 times)

TonysTA

• Active Forum Member
Hi,

I have a 78 TA, TH-350 installed and am having a problem with the gear selected matching what gear the transmission is actually in. It seems like it's one off except for park, if that makes any sense? For example, to get it into Reverse, I need to move the shifter to Neutral. To get it into drive, I need to move the shifter to S etc..

Thoughts on what I  did not adjust correctly? The shift itself, from I can tell, is sitting correctly in the console.

Thanks!

Anthony

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
Need to adjust the cable.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
The shifter cable on my B&M shifter and TH350 has the adjustment at the transmission end.
Gene

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
It's adjustable on the transmission end. Loosen it off, put it in P or a known gear on both the shifter and Trans selector. Tighten up. Check gear shift settings and adjust as req.

TonysTA

• Active Forum Member
Great, thank-you for the replies. I will take a look.  I also found this install link:

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/huu-3838510.pdf

I am almost certain I kept the factory transmission arm linkage b/c the vendor on eBay said I could use it. The install article mentions using Hurst specific parts -  Hurst Transmission Arm #105 8561 and Hurst Cable Bracket - # 117 4778 - I am pretty sure this is related to my issues. I didn't stumble across the article until after I posted here. Will circle back once I make some adjustments.

Thanks!

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
A safety thing here to focus on park when you do get it set.  Make sure you have "plenty" of travel towards park.  That's the one that'll kill you.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe