Author Topic: Carb question  (Read 664 times)

gennaros ta

• Active Forum Member
Carb question
« on: April 07, 2021, 06:03:02 PM »
Hello all I have a 81 TA , which used to be a 301 turbo. I have now have installed a 69 400 with stock 6x heads , summit 2801 cam . dome pistons ,headers ,stock intake. Turbo 350 with 308 gears. Runs decent but i think it should be better . I have the original tubo carb on it. Question is , is this carb suitable for my set up and wondering what i can do to the carb to it make it perform better or shall i invest in a different carb altogether . Keeping in mind i cant really go to different manifold as i have a shaker .Thx in advance

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
Re: Carb question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 01:53:05 PM »
The worst thing about it is that it was originally computer controlled, and with the computer removed, the power valve just goes is "full rich" all the time.  It does not have a vacuum operated power valve.  One that's working right would probably be leaner and little more economical.  I'll go out on a limb here and say you won't get any more hp at WOT from changing it, because of course that's exactly when the power valve would be right.  That's a guess.  It's enormous, so you certainly don't want a bigger one.  The jetting is kind of meaningless because it was never designed to work apart from the computer.

Does it run okay?

I'd for sure change it if was me.  If you are some sort of old computer geek you could consider cobbling together some sort of Normally aspirated 1980's control system to operate it, but that's more of a weirdo parlor trick than something anybody should actually be trying to do on a 1969 400.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Re: Carb question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 01:53:05 PM »