Author Topic: Door mirror gasket - 3d print  (Read 1888 times)

DeVilliers

• Active Forum Member
Door mirror gasket - 3d print
« on: February 04, 2021, 03:48:03 AM »
Hi all,

Let me just take a chance.
A google search revealed there was a discussion previously where someone did this. With the forum down I can't read it.

I'm looking for a 3d printing file for the gasket that fits between the body and the door mirror. Google has not given me anything.
Does anyone here have something like that?

Thanks
1979 Trans Am

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
Re: Door mirror gasket - 3d print
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 03:33:29 PM »
You're probably referring to these which I've posted on Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2735896
There have been 183 downloads so far. If you print some of your own, be sure to print in ABS. Do not print in PLA because it won't hold up to the weather.

Here's a photo of them on my car so you can see the fitment (I painted mine body color).

BTW, I believe that the reason why the repro gaskets don't fit very well is that they are sold to work for both Firebird and Camaro. Since the door skins are different on the two cars, on Camaros the gaskets are installed with the thin edge on the bottom but on Firebirds they are installed with the thin edge on top. Given that, these were designed specifically for Firebird and probably won't work on Camaro. I used the base of the mirror from my 73 for the profile. Not sure if later year mirrors had exactly the same shape so no guarantees. :)

While you're there on Thingiverse, check out my other designs which include a couple other Firebird items.
https://www.thingiverse.com/grcvisuals/designs
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 03:54:56 PM by Gene-73 »
Gene

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 09:14:15 PM »
The second gen Camaro has a front fender body line that extends into the door and affects the angle that the mirror sits on the door skin. You can see the contour pretty clearly in this image.

If you compare this image to a Firebird door skin you can see why the gasket needs to be oriented opposite since the mirrors used are the same.

I modeled my 3D printable versions off of the ones I pulled off my car, which were the original GM versions. They provide a much better fit than the reproductions.
Gene

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 11:51:23 PM »
Anyone know if the original locating pins were opposite or still the same for a Camaro?

I was wondering that myself. I don't know the answer but looking at photos of Camaro door skins online I see four holes, which means that the pin could go on either end?

BTW, I didn't include the locating pin in my 3D models. Didn't really see the need for it since the two screws make them not want to go anywhere. Plus the lip around edge that the base of the mirror sits inside of also keeps them in place.
Gene

JJ 109

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 10:59:54 AM »
Interesting. I used OER without knowing any of this.

They actually seem to fit just fine to me, and I am generally pretty fastidious.
JJ
76 pro tour project
Twin Turbo LS1
Detroit

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 10:59:54 AM »

DeVilliers

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 06:02:14 AM »
You're probably referring to these which I've posted on Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2735896
There have been 183 downloads so far. If you print some of your own, be sure to print in ABS. Do not print in PLA because it won't hold up to the weather.

Here's a photo of them on my car so you can see the fitment (I painted mine body color).

BTW, I believe that the reason why the repro gaskets don't fit very well is that they are sold to work for both Firebird and Camaro. Since the door skins are different on the two cars, on Camaros the gaskets are installed with the thin edge on the bottom but on Firebirds they are installed with the thin edge on top. Given that, these were designed specifically for Firebird and probably won't work on Camaro. I used the base of the mirror from my 73 for the profile. Not sure if later year mirrors had exactly the same shape so no guarantees. :)

While you're there on Thingiverse, check out my other designs which include a couple other Firebird items.
https://www.thingiverse.com/grcvisuals/designs

Thanks Gene! Exactly what I'm looking for!
1979 Trans Am

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 05:39:14 AM »
GM #9832127 Firebird gaskets - both sides.  Locating pin to left, thin side of gasket up.

GM #9832126 Camaro gaskets - both sides. Locating pin to left, thick side of gasket up.

Repro using #9832126 for both cars, locating pin missing, equal thickness so both models will have mirror tilt. (early OER?)

Repro using #9832126 for both cars, locating pin missing, angled fit like originals for either model and flipped as required, 50% thicker than stock. (later OER)

Repro using #9832127 now appearing, unknown details but sellers still confused and list Firebird/Camaro like everything else.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 12:27:58 AM by Wallington »

DeVilliers

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 06:41:28 AM »
The 3d prints I had done, came out great!

Gave them a light sanding and some black paint. I'll have to post a picture.
1979 Trans Am

jugalo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 09:25:36 AM »
Anyone know if the original locating pins were opposite or still the same for a Camaro?

I was wondering that myself. I don't know the answer but looking at photos of Camaro door skins online I see four holes, which means that the pin could go on either end?

BTW, I didn't include the locating pin in my 3D models. Didn't really see the need for it since the two screws make them not want to go anywhere. Plus the lip around edge that the base of the mirror sits inside of also keeps them in place.

Thanks for the pic, I never noticed there was such a difference.
1980 Turbo Trans Am Restomod (in work)
Fiero Bronze 400/200-4r

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 09:25:36 AM »
You can help support TAC!