Author Topic: Welting Installation  (Read 2466 times)

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
Welting Installation
« on: March 30, 2021, 03:25:17 PM »
If anyone is looking to re-post some of your old content, I would ask that you start with "how to install welting".
I'm getting ready to do mine and remember that there were some good tips here prior to the crash. Thanks.
Gene

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Welting Installation
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 07:23:17 AM »
I looked and dont have any pics.  When I did mine I used a 3m weather strip adhesive. I put it on the longer leg of the welting (the back side) and slid it on very carefully. That glue will get everywhere if youre not too careful. At the bottom the welting held the curvature pretty good. On the top where the angle is sharper you need to do a 'V' notch in the back side as a relief cut. Factory used a staple at this point, I just used glue. I suppose with a very small drill bit, thinking dremel, you could drill a couple of holes and put a matching piece of wire in to make your staple.  I used some small spring clamps that I got at home depot for like .10 these are almost like what would be used for models. I clamped the welting in place, heavily at the curves and let it sit overnight. I did leave the ends a bit long that I trimmed of after the glue had set up.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 03:22:32 PM »
Thanks Kerry. This definitely helps.
Gene

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 07:15:54 PM »
I started this and really got discouraged. My original flairs don't seem to fit well at all. I also went and bought the stuff from the guy on ebay who had some colored welting extruded like/matching the original. It was $100 or so for just enough for the four flairs. It's really, really nice but I have to rework my flairs to get a better fit.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 10:24:09 PM »
I started this and really got discouraged. My original flairs don't seem to fit well at all. I also went and bought the stuff from the guy on ebay who had some colored welting extruded like/matching the original. It was $100 or so for just enough for the four flairs. It's really, really nice but I have to rework my flairs to get a better fit.

Heat gun is your friend.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 10:24:09 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 08:52:28 PM »
Ya, I tried and even clamped paint sticks to them for 6 months.... just couldn't get the curl out of the lip that meets the body. I have another set that seems to fit better. Working on those now.

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 06:09:57 AM »
I did the heat gun thing and got them to fit ok although the shape took a bit of a hit.  The welting was a disappointment as I used adhesion promoter and epoxy to paint but it still flaked off to the point I was able to completely remove the paint and primer. Obviously an error early on on my part.  I bought a spray can of shark bite that I am going to use as a second attempt. I have two wheel spats with the welting glued on as Kerry described above. I have some fine line tape to mask off the completed paint and will try and spray them like that.  Just waiting for painting season to start, and finishing up the R-M Camaro project I am doing for my cousin.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 07:44:19 AM »
There was a trick on here regarding painting the welting I used. A yard stick is about the right size for the welting to slip onto. That will hold it into place while it can be painted. I painted the stuff for my black car with the same paint I used on the body. The paint store told me that most if not all modern paints already has flex additive, (I suppose because so many new cars are all plastic) so I just sprayed them with no special attention. They flexed around the flairs, a few years later they all still look great. Not a crack one in the paint. I would have to look but I think the welting I used on my silver 79 car was already silver'sh rubber to begin with thus not needing to be painted.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

jugalo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 08:13:48 AM »
Great post.

Heres another question I know was addressed on the old forum...

Who makes the best welting? I see a dozen or so companies offer it but I imagine some are better quality than others. Is there one that is superior? Softer? Easier to work with? Im about to pull the trigger. I have been finding Ames to almost always have the better version of MOST parts. A lot of 2nd tier stuff out there. Thoughts?
1980 Turbo Trans Am Restomod (in work)
Fiero Bronze 400/200-4r

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 12:03:04 PM »
I got mine by the foot from Ames.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 01:13:15 PM »
The best is the colored stuff from a guy who used to be no Hitman's site. I did find him on ebay. The welting us almost a perfect match to the original and it is super flexible and he had it in the popular colors. But, it cost about $100 dollars.

DeVilliers

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 02:55:24 AM »
I looked at the welting and the old posts and decided to go another route.

I had a look at panel bond/car bond, 3M, Wurts, Soudals, there are plenty out there. Panel bond worked like a charm for me. No bad fits, make as smooth and nice as you want it :)

Since my car is a deep grey, I went with black. All the flairs were redone in fibreglass, so I'm not sure how this will hold on the old stuff, but I'm pretty sure it will work. Car bond/panel bond sticks to most materials.
1979 Trans Am

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 07:06:27 PM »
Do I recall correctly that someone recommended 3M plastic and emblem adhesive for the welting?
I just found an unopened tube of this in my adhesive box and must have bought it for something but can't remember what.
Gene

nas t eh

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2021, 06:14:15 PM »
Great post.

Heres another question I know was addressed on the old forum...

Who makes the best welting? I see a dozen or so companies offer it but I imagine some are better quality than others. Is there one that is superior? Softer? Easier to work with? Im about to pull the trigger. I have been finding Ames to almost always have the better version of MOST parts. A lot of 2nd tier stuff out there. Thoughts?

Wizard 61 on the PY forum, makes it/has it in Bucc. Red, Polar White, Starlight Black and Lucy Blue. he can be found on Ebay too. I bought the Red from him a couple years ago.
1973 T/A 455, 4 speed.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 08:09:02 PM »
That's him. Thanks for posting that.

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 08:09:02 PM »