Author Topic: 1976 Trans Am Resto-Mod; Rebuild Thread  (Read 4113 times)

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 1976 Trans Am Resto-Mod; Rebuild Thread
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2023, 08:12:31 AM »
Lots of progress over the long weekend. There were so many little things that I had to finish up, I won't list them all. I will show the larger tasks that may help others. My first order of business was to figure out what was wrong with my brakes. Ever since I installed the DSE hydraulic clutch master cylinder bracket, my brakes weren't working correctly. I realized that I needed to clearance the bracket because it caused a bind with the petal lever. I clearanced the hole, and then reinstalled everything. Still had a bind? Still not sure what caused the issue, but I took the master cylinder off and to the bench to verify it was working. Then reinstalled and the brakes worked great.  :???: Anyway, that is done, just need bench bleed it and reinstall.

While I had the booster off because of the clutch bracket, It was time to figure out a method for making a petal stop. If I don't do something about that, a hard shift could over extend the clutch MC and ruin it. Which in turn would leave me stranded. Here is what I came up with.

And the final product. It works great and is fully adjustable.

Another issue that I ran into is making sure that the clutch throw is sufficient to fully engage and disengage the clutch. My solution came from someone on LS1tech.com. I used a 3/8 - 16 coupler and jam nuts, cut and threaded the shaft, and made my own adjustable clutch master cylinder! If you do decide to copy me make sure that when you cut the shaft, that you actually cut about an inch out of it in order to make sure you can shorten it if necessary. Also, don't thread the shaft all the way down. A section towards the bottom is hollow, which causes a weak point and people have had problems where on a hard shift that the shaft will break.

After all the work for the clutch it works great! It took some time making sure that the clutch was working properly, but well worth it. It works just like stock. The only think I haven't finished is the neutral safety switch. But the clutch grabs really nicely, and is much different than the stock set-up. Something that I will have to get used to.

The last hickup( or so I thought), was making sure that I had the correct rag joint. It took me about an hour of messing around to realize that the metric box I have, had a smaller diameter than my stock box. So, after messing around and talking to some car friends of mine, I found one! I don't know what the breakdown of years is, but this was out of a '77. Not sure if that is a mid-year thing, or if the box was actually off of a later metric box. Either way, I got it on and it worked great.

Now, the fun part. I test fit everything and double checked to make sure that everything I had done was tight, etc. I finally took it off of the jack stands. Since I know that I had the wheels off a few times I went around with a torque wrench to ensure they were tight. I am not going through that again... :shock: Anyway, I forgot how low to the ground the car was.

Sorry, its blurry.

Here are some gound clearance pictures. Just have to be aware of those when I am driving. Although, they aren't any lower than the hooker headers I had.

Well, I suppose it was time for a test drive. Being really excited to finally get the car out and drive it around and listening for anything out of the ordinary, I forgot one thing. GAS!!! Here I am stranded at what used to be a gas station.  :lol: I couldn't be mad and I was only about a mile from my house, so my wife came and got me and we threw some more gas in it. I think it was a good think that I ran out of gas anyway because the axle bearings were screaming at me. I needed to replace them, but thought I could get away with them for a little while. Nope, they need it asap. I think for the summer I will get two saver bearings and let it ride.

Yes, I know this was my initial shake down run. So no shaker, passenger seat or front bumper. What can I say, I was excited. It was hard to say how the car really ran because I couldn't hear anything but the axle bearing. I will say that the car had great throttle response, and with the 3.73 gears it will be very fast. I churped or spun the tires everytime I started from a stop. It will be very fun! :lol: Another thing I noticed is the car is quieter than with my Pontiac? Weird. Overall really happy with the progress and I can't wait to put some miles on it!

Cheers,
Ryan

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2023, 08:13:13 AM »
I got some more pictures last night. I can't believe I didn't get any shots of the engine!

Here is a better shot of the rear disk brakes.

And here is were I put the rear adjustable proportioning valve. Very accessable, but completely hidden. And you can also see my stainless steel braided rear lines.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2023, 08:15:38 AM »
Ok, guys. I pissed the wife off again this weekend... I worked on my car almost all Saturday and most of Sunday, but made tons of progress towards getting this car to a reliable driving status once again. So, a recap of my work. I started off by installing two axle saver bearings. With the right tools they were simple to install. After struggling a little with the passengers side, the driver's side went in within minutes. Buttoned up the rear end and the axles were all done. Then took the car for its first official test drive, with gas this time. I was much more pleased with the way that the car performed with the new axle bearings. NO more screeching. Still have a slight scrapping sound from a rear backing plate contacting my rotors, but overall not bad. I just drove about 10 miles basically to get gas and back.

Then Sunday morning, I wanted to get the car ready for a longer cruise. Which meant I had to put exhaust gaskets on, reinstall the interior and front bumper, bleed the brakes and other finishing touches. I finally finished it up around 2 pm on Sunday. It was time to clean up and take the car out. Now, up until then I hadn't taken the car past 3k rpms. I was listening for any odd noises, rattles, etc. After about 25 miles or so, I felt good enough to get on it while entering the on ramp. All I can say is WOW. If I could race my car from last year vs. my car today, the car today would blow it out of the water. No contest that the LS1 really woke up my car. Once on the highway, the 6th gear was finally useful. At 70-75 mph the car quietly drove along at 1800 rpms! Absolutely impressed.

Once I got the car back from the test drive, I took a few pictures of my accomplishments.

Still need to adjust the hood to fit better on the driver's side.

Overall, Great experience. There wasn't any significant issues other than the backing plate that is lightly scrapping against the rotor. Should be a simple fix. I also need to finish up some lingering projects such as my wiper motor conversion, paint the top of my cowl, find a better lower radiator hose, wire in my headlights and parking lights, and somehow fix my shaker to the hood.

There is a car show in two weeks that I plan to attend. It's called Cruisin' Palooza in Whitney Point, NY for those in the area if you want to swing by and talk cars.

Thanks,
Ryan

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2023, 08:19:57 AM »
Well that's a fairly abrupt way to end this build thread. I'll see if I can dig up some more photos from that summer, but I finished up some more projects and eventually sold the car in February of 2014. Crazy as that seems so long ago that I sold that car. Really good to go down memory lane and see the work that I did back then. Hopefully the pictures and details that I dug up are helpful

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2023, 04:57:45 PM »
Wow.  Rebuilding this thread had to be kinda like rebuilding the car.  Thank you for taking the time to do this.  It will be appreciated by everyone.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2023, 04:57:45 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2023, 11:46:52 PM »
Definitely brings back memories.  I found this site when researching LS swaps and found Nocturnes (I think that was his screen name). He he ls swaped a Nocturne blue (or whatever you call it) TA. Between his and Ryan's I was able to complete my swap. Thanks again Ryan for rebuilding this thread (I know there was som copy and past, but I still takes time). Also, thanks again for all your help over the years with my car questions. I hope run into you someday in real life.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2023, 07:31:07 AM »
I hope to run into you someday in real life.

Well, that didn't end well  :lol:
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2023, 05:26:55 PM »
I hope to run into you someday in real life.

Well, that didn't end well  :lol:

We can fix it.  My old man is a tv repairman.  He’s got an awesome set of tools.
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2023, 08:39:50 AM »
Mike, my heart sank for a second because I was thinking you found my old car or something in that condition.  :shock:

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2023, 08:39:50 AM »
You can help support TAC!