Author Topic: Cutting door panels.....  (Read 2693 times)

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
Cutting door panels.....
« on: September 26, 2023, 05:57:19 AM »
So as I continue on my project list for the winter, one thing I really want to do is rework my stereo system, mainly the front speakers.  I currently have a 6.5" componant system in the front in some speaker pods that I bought years ago.  While I don't mind them, they interfere with having a E brake and some functions of the AC.  So here is where I am.

I am keeping this speaker system one way or the other but also plan to add the 3.5 inch back into the dash to cover some highs and mid range.

I have the stock door panels that are in fairly good shape, I won't cut these, however, I think I would get much better sound with the speakers in the doors, as opposed to way down on the floor.

My thought is to remove my stock panels and store, and get an aftermarket set to cut.  There are some aftermarket door panels like the ones year ones sell, but they are ugly and not in my price point.  So trying to find a direction.....
Dave

81 Trans Am

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Cutting door panels.....
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 07:23:52 AM »
Does your car have map pockets? Wondering if you could install them but have covered up, or find a speaker grille that is very retro and plain and paint to match trim like a factory option, and less of an obvious eyesore.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 08:40:19 AM »
I like the map pocket idea!
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 10:31:19 AM »
Can they be mounted without cutting the door metal? I don’t recall there being a lot of real estate in there
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 11:01:40 AM »
I'm sure you would have to cut the door shell but you could back mount it.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 11:01:40 AM »

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 11:46:03 AM »
Does your car have map pockets? Wondering if you could install them but have covered up, or find a speaker grille that is very retro and plain and paint to match trim like a factory option, and less of an obvious eyesore.
I like this idea actually.  The car is fairly stock but has some nuances of modern things. 
Dave

81 Trans Am

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 11:47:49 AM »
Can they be mounted without cutting the door metal? I don’t recall there being a lot of real estate in there
That I don't know as of yet but it's not something I opposed to.  If I ever went back to stock it could easily be repaired and would never be seen once the stock panels went back on
Dave

81 Trans Am

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 02:25:11 PM »
So as I continue on my project list for the winter, one thing I really want to do is rework my stereo system, mainly the front speakers.  I currently have a 6.5" componant system in the front in some speaker pods that I bought years ago.  While I don't mind them, they interfere with having a E brake and some functions of the AC.  So here is where I am.

I am keeping this speaker system one way or the other but also plan to add the 3.5 inch back into the dash to cover some highs and mid range.

I have the stock door panels that are in fairly good shape, I won't cut these, however, I think I would get much better sound with the speakers in the doors, as opposed to way down on the floor.

My thought is to remove my stock panels and store, and get an aftermarket set to cut.  There are some aftermarket door panels like the ones year ones sell, but they are ugly and not in my price point.  So trying to find a direction.....

From an audio perspective, I think you would get better stereo separation and for sure more bass with the speakers in the door. Only you can decide if you can deal with the aesthetics.
I can remember putting smaller speakers in a Gen II door right abought where the bird emblem sits when you have power windows.

On my 1980 I upgraded the 6X9's in the rear deck and the 3 1/2" dash speakers. I am happy with the sound and wanted to keep the stock appearance. My dash speakers came with a filter that I installed to limit low frequencies. When I tried running without the filter I easily overpowered the dash units.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2023, 05:35:32 AM »

From an audio perspective, I think you would get better stereo separation and for sure more bass with the speakers in the door. Only you can decide if you can deal with the aesthetics.
I can remember putting smaller speakers in a Gen II door right abought where the bird emblem sits when you have power windows.

On my 1980 I upgraded the 6X9's in the rear deck and the 3 1/2" dash speakers. I am happy with the sound and wanted to keep the stock appearance. My dash speakers came with a filter that I installed to limit low frequencies. When I tried running without the filter I easily overpowered the dash units.
I have considered that too.  Maybe use the 6x9's and 3.5's for high to mid range and add a sub for the lows.  Could probably even hide a tweeter someplace 
Dave

81 Trans Am

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2023, 05:35:32 AM »
You can help support TAC!