Author Topic: Body Bushing Replacement  (Read 1758 times)

BackInBlack

• Forum Member
Body Bushing Replacement
« on: March 14, 2021, 07:56:14 AM »
Prior to the database issue that removed all of the old posts, there was a long thread dealing with the installation of new body bushings.  The post started with someone creating a very detailed set of instructions on how to replace the bushings along with pictures of each step of the process.  Over time people shared their own pictures and experiences of replacing their body bushings.  I had this post bookmarked for when I decided to replace my body bushings.  Of course, that bookmark doesn't do me much good right now and I am hoping to replace my bushings soon.  Does anyone have back up of the original instructions that they can re-post?

Thanks

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Body Bushing Replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 08:44:02 AM »
Replacing the bushings is not that bad. The hard part is removing the old rusted ones. I have only done them with the inner fenders off, not sure how hard it is to reach the fronts with the inners installed. Best thing to do is spray them all with pb blaster for a few days prior to try and loosen them. DO NOT use an impact gun for removal, more chances than not it will break the cage nut.  IF the cage nut gets broken you can force a wrench into the fronts. For the rears I located them from above, drilled a 1/4" hole above and sprayed pb in from the top (carpet was out). IF the cage nut breaks on the back you will have to cut a hole in the floor to access the nut.  A 2" hole saw does a good job with that, cutting almost all the way thru then bending back as a flap.

Now on to the easy part. I had the car elevated a bit on jack stands all around. Put a floor jack on one side of the sub frame, take the bolts out, lower it down just enough to slip the new bushings back into place then jack back up. Repeat on the other side.

Once every thing is loose it will take a few hours to get it done. I would also do the core support bushings as well. Again, I have only done mine with no front sheet metal and motor out. The core may be a bit harder to get to with everything in place.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

DD78TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 09:53:05 AM »
Ditto everything Roadking77 said. It wasn't bad at all. I started with the PB blaster a couple weeks early. Still broke one cage nut, but got it out and rewelded back in. Just take your time AND BE SAFE. I went with solid mounts and welded in frame connectors and have been glad I did. 

BackInBlack

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 05:02:22 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I'll start spraying the cage nuts with PB Blaster in the next day or so and hope to replace my body bushings in the next week or two.

firebirdforrest

• Active Forum Member
  • 1980 Formula
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 06:15:11 AM »
 There is a very good thread on the nastyz28 forum on how to do it.

https://nastyz28.com/threads/body-bushings-replacement-how-to-with-tips.251412/

I bought the below items, or similar ones. I actually got the spray can from Menards. Once you have this stuff trust me it wont go to waste and you will use it for other projects.

With the camera you see can see exactly where your are getting you penetrating fluid , not just hoping some makes it.

With the long spray straw and the camera I was able to spray the fluid directly on top of the bolts under the fender.

I made my own penetrating fluid using a half and half mixture of ATF fluid and Acetone, I think it works great but I also use PB blaster if you don't want to buy that stuff.

I drenched the bolts for about 4 days before I started to work them they lose. The secret to to getting a frozen bolt lose is trying to tighten it a little first 8-). Use even constant, pressure no jerking.

I was very intimidated before I started, I think because of all the broken bolt horror stories :( But with some planning it was one of the easier things I have done on my car, and great bang for the buck as far as how it helped the ride and feel!
If you do break a nut from the cage the above thread shows some creative was to hold them without cutting floors or taking fender wells out.

Forrest

https://www.amazon.com/ShopStraw-FS250-FlexStraw-Aerosol-Replacement/dp/B01ARBC8JW

https://www.amazon.com/Seesi-Endoscope-Waterproof-Inspection-Semi-Rigid/dp/B07PBF6DX5/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=endoscope+phone+camera&qid=1616413596&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/Gino-Development-Refillable-Multipurpose-Replacements/dp/B07LB8KMGN/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=refillable+spray+can&qid=1616413907&sr=8-16

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 06:15:11 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 07:07:45 AM »
Good article, I will add to everyone with a trans am, If you have not change the bushings you probably should. They may not look too bad but there is a better chance than not that this is what is holding your car together

2020-07-02_10-52-57 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350