2020-B4-3

Author Topic: 3rd Gen Trunk Release?  (Read 121 times)

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
3rd Gen Trunk Release?
« on: February 20, 2021, 05:33:30 AM »
Hiya gang,

I recently bought a 1987 T/A GTA, long, scary story behind that one, but have the car now and am going through everything to make sure everything is in great, working shape.

Now with the trunk release, the button on the dashboard does release the trunk, but... it doesn't like, pop open like a second gen. All it does is unlock the trunk, and then the trunk close motor kicks in right after it's opened and starts pulling the motor down again.

Is the trunk pop on these supposed to push the hatch all the way open? Or just unlock the hatch so if someone was standing behind the car they could open it? I'd assume since the second gen trunks pop right open, this one would too.

1987 T/A GTA
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

80TAPaceCar

• Active Forum Member
      • 1980 Turbo Trans Am Indy Pace Car
Re: 3rd Gen Trunk Release?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 07:59:02 AM »
Check your lift supports.  Sounds like they are not strong enough to raise it and then it sits on the mechanism to trigger the trunk to pull it back down and lock.  Those years the window/trucks are heavy and the lift supports wear out.  My 93 40th Corvette does lift the glass about halfway, but I need to replace the lift supports on it also.

Later
Kev

1979 Chevrolet Corvette
1979 El Camino SS
1980 Indy Pace Car Trans Am
1980 Indy (Festival Car) Pace Car Trans Am
1983 El Camino
1993 40th Anniversary Corvette
2005 Impala SS

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 05:55:11 PM »
Truth be told, I've had two 3rd gens with the release button and neither one would ever open it far enough to not catch and have the hatch pull down, always catch it. Even when the 92 was pretty new and the struts would keep it up without a prop, it would still pull down. I have an 84 that does not have the hatch pull down, and I wish it did for all the times I drove off and it was not latched. You will find that when the Hatch Pull Down finally fails(and it will) that the weight alone will not latch the hatch. Shameless Plug for this guy.... https://www.top-downsolutions.com/ I used to be in a 3rd gen club with him.... He has some stuff you will no doubt eventually need for your Bird.... Good Luck. :D

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 11:55:02 PM »
Sounds like I will have to check the lift struts. They sound like they're just old, not even sure if they have ever been replaced
1987 T/A GTA
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 04:18:53 PM »
Sounds like I will have to check the lift struts. They sound like they're just old, not even sure if they have ever been replaced
Before you run out and spend your money. If you lift the hatch all the way up and it stays up all the way, doesn't sag/come down any, and stays up for say 10-15 min and doesn't come down any, I doubt new ones are going to make any difference. My 92 Camaro will stay up when you first open it, but gradually comes down, so I just have a length of round dowel that I use for a prop. I seldom ever open it. Every 3rd gen I have that has the Hatch Pull Down, has always been hit or miss catching it before it latched and pulled down closed again. As fragile as the Pull Down is, I would never use the switch in the car anyway. You will understand when it fails and will not latch until you take it apart and fix it. The only good thing about it is the Hatch is heavy enough to not bounce up when you drive it that way. Been there more than once... Some Caddys and  some Buicks have the same basic latch for the trunk if you ever need parts in a hurry. Its not exactly the same, but the parts that fail are. Good Luck.     

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 07:39:28 PM »
The struts do a good job of keeping the hatch open, I had taken everything out of the car to clean it out and left it up and open for a few hours and it had no difficulty, so I'm probably just going to leave it as is for now, and maybe in future look at some stronger shocks that can kick that hatch open. So far the pull down motor has been working really well, so I'll will just keep in nice and lubricated and treat it well
1987 T/A GTA
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 12:55:55 AM »
Turns out:

Struts were on the way out, went to inspect them and found the RH side strut was leaking oil. Mechanic had a strut guy come out, and they will get reconditioned so hopefully, the trunk is going to have a lot more "pop"!
1987 T/A GTA
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 12:55:55 AM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4