Author Topic: Trunk Restoration Help  (Read 1421 times)

#1 Trans Am Fan

• Active Forum Member
Trunk Restoration Help
« on: February 07, 2021, 06:33:22 PM »
I’m in the process of restoring a 1976 Trans Am.  The car was mainly complete with only (sometimes severe) condition issues.  But it didn’t have any of the trunk paraphernalia – jack, space saver spare, air canister, mounting components, etc.  Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be any reproductions of these parts.  Does anyone know where I can purchase these items?

They don’t have to be in “road safe” condition.  They don’t even have to be functional.  They’re never going to be used.  Let’s be honest, if I ever get a flat tire, I’m going to call AAA and have them take the car to a repair shop.  The parts just have to look good.  I just want the trunk to look the way that it did when the car was driven off of the showroom floor back in ’76.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:19:00 AM by #1 Trans Am Fan »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Trunk Restoration Help
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 09:11:13 PM »
I think you can get the lugnut wrench now, although these items aren't hard to get used. You may have to wait a while to get a good looking used set though, if you don't plan on painting. And yes, the space saver spare and the jack are for looks only, or you'll do damage to your car trying to use them. I think you can get the jack holding plate now too.  I found mine years later wedgde down the trunk dropoff.

#1 Trans Am Fan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 01:47:07 PM »
Some clean up and paint would be fine.  I was thinking more in terms of dried, cracked and crumbling rubber or torn or missing labels.  Stuff that can’t readily be fixed.

If anyone knows where I can find such a set, please let me know.  Thanks!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 04:10:22 PM »
I see stuff like that every once in awhile on craigslist, ebay, I dont do facebook but their market place is probably a good place to look too. According to my phs, my car did not even come with a spare tire. The note said one would be shipped when available. SO, thats where Im at with it! No spare.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 04:59:47 PM »
Be aware that in later years they only reproduce 2 of the 4 trunk lid jack labels. That also means half the ads are incorrect.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 06:08:43 PM by Wallington »

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 04:59:47 PM »

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 03:03:55 PM »
I have a 79 space saver in new condition.  Also a canister, some of the paper labeling on it is torn off, but otherwise good condition.
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Performer intake; open scoop; Sniper QJ;  110 Amp Alt; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

Gio_84

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 03:38:58 PM »
I see stuff like that every once in awhile on craigslist, ebay, I dont do facebook but their market place is probably a good place to look too. According to my phs, my car did not even come with a spare tire. The note said one would be shipped when available. SO, thats where Im at with it! No spare.

really the spare tire was not stock on all cars?

On my phs invoice the spare tire is not listing in the opitional list, but on the window sticker is listed at "NO CHARGE".
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 03:47:35 PM by Gio_84 »

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 03:38:58 PM »
You can help support TAC!