2020-B1-9

Author Topic: interior  (Read 718 times)

nhec1

• Active Forum Member
interior
« on: January 03, 2021, 12:42:28 PM »
hello,  finally gave up looking for a replacement used dash. going with a new one from just dashes. last year was a bust. didn't even start it. stay safe out there 

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
Re: interior
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 01:11:18 AM »
Check with Second Gen Graveyard. You can get a fully restored dash. He sends his dashes to Al Knoch in Texas. That company restores dashes . The prices are reasonable as well. The dashes that SGG offers are pretty decent quality as well. ( price is around $1100 with shipping)
Just Dashes does great work, about a 6 month turnaround and cost is $1600 with shipping.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 04:00:53 AM »
I find it funny to say $1100 to 1600 is reasonable to refurbish a dash... Just do it yourself, many on here have done it and posted very detailed instructions. 

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 08:06:39 AM »
I agree Jack. My dashes ( I have done a 4 or 5 so far) dont hit the style mark of Al or JDashes, but they look good enough for my cars! LOL. And I have $1000-$1500 to put towards something I cant do, i.e. the motor work!!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 11:28:33 AM »
Kerry, you have done really great work on dashes, a lot better than I could . If someone has that kind of skill set then certainly it is more feasible to do it yourself. For me, it is like bodywork and paint, not my strong suit. Also some dashes are beyond DIY repair or restoration.

RePop dashes have become un-obtainium again, I bought one a few years back and they were okay.
If so one is in the position that they don’t want to restore a dash themselves, then the options become a bit limited.
Not that I’m trying to push for paying for restoration work, but if options are limited then it is worthwhile to consider it. I can say this JD is pricey but I will say this , they do great work, and the dash is not just repaired in one area. The entire dash is re done, not just one or two areas.

My only recommendation for anyone, would be to look into it and make some phone calls, ask questions and decide for yourself. I can recommend , JD if that is the route someone would choose. They are very honest in their work, and their work is top notch .

Jim
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 03:05:24 PM »
Jim, I completely agree with you. I have seen the pics of the dash's you got and they are def.  top of the line. I also think that you get what you pay for and sometimes top dollar has to be paid for top quality work. Just like the steering wheel I had Sue S due for me. From what I have seen J dashes do, it looks like they have some proprietary and costly equipment. Again, you get what you pay for. Its a shame there arent a lot of options out there. I have thought about getting some core and redoing then selling as 'driver quality' dashes. My problem is that I cant control end conditions enough to offer any type of guarantee. I have a couple that I did quite a few years ago that have been in storage and they still look great, so who knows?...............
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 07:34:51 PM »
Check with Second Gen Graveyard. You can get a fully restored dash. He sends his dashes to Al Knoch in Texas. That company restores dashes . The prices are reasonable as well. The dashes that SGG offers are pretty decent quality as well. ( price is around $1100 with shipping)
Just Dashes does great work, about a 6 month turnaround and cost is $1600 with shipping.
Jim

It's the most reasonable option.

Al Knoch did a terrible job on mine but for most people it's probably the best option contrasted to Justdashes

Cheapest restore option and cheapest buy option
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 11:41:08 PM »
Just curious, what were the issues you had with the al knoch restoration?

I had a mini nightmare with the dash on my 79 a few years back. I bought what was advertised as a mint condition original camel tan dash. Turns out it wasn’t mint, much less driver quality. It got damaged in shipping. The seller said he insured it, but he did not. After pestering him for the info to make the insurance claim , he turned into a ghost. I still have his name ,address and phone number. Pay pal protection was an absolute joke. I got stuck with a damaged 1100 dash . That was a real hard pill to swallow. I made a repair on it and still ate me up ( i didn’t do it right and it cracked 3 months later). A year or so later I got a repop dash from classic for $700 , when they were available. That one worked out okay. Fitment was okay and it worked out in the end. The repop dash wasn’t perfect but worked. The glovebox door doesn’t contour well to the das and the vent bezels and dash bezels required a bit of  massaging . I got it all to work but  I wasn’t 100% happy, maybe 85% which is okay.

The dash I had done for my 72 was done by JD. The entire dash is restored , new vinyl is more  UV resistant , the dash is also restored with the glovebox door , ashtray and vents. When I got it back it was better than new. I had the vents redone with new chrome trim, and the lower vent were also redone as well. It took almost 6 months total time. Mostly this was due to California Covid restrictions. Normally it’s 8-12 weeks turnaround time.  The total cost , including shipping, was $1600.  When it came back it looked amazing, every bit a good as new . I have only test fit but it fit very well with no bezel issues.

I did have a dash done on my LeMans from JD, and it turned out great, they even saved the Pontiac logo on the dash as well.

The price is higher but the quality is worth it. That is considering you can’t do it yourself for whatever reason. You will get a top notch dash in the end. I just bite the bullet on the cost, pick up some overtime at work, or maybe sell some stuff, knock off a 7/11 ,etc etc. :)

Another option that hasn’t been mention yet is a good dash cover if your dash isn’t too far gone, I have some dashes with covers and look pretty decent for the price. A local guy is Vegas had one on his dash, at the time I couldn’t see the difference until he point out where you could see it was a cover.. he was able to blend the edges very well and it was hard to tell it was a cover.

Jim

1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 06:14:46 AM »
I guess it all depends on what you are trying to achieve and how much you are willing to spend. If you are already spending $20-25k on the bodywork an extra $1500 is not a big deal. As far as warranty I think most will not hold up as most will depend on storage and use conditions which no one can prove.
Personally I would never spend that kind of money on a dash that I can fix myself (although the end result will NOT be as good).

Regards, Jack

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 06:32:10 AM »
Just curious, what were the issues you had with the al knoch restoration?

Dash came back with the lower support bars rivetted back on completely rusted. Why he would rivet on rusty parts back on without treating or even asking what should be done with them is beyond me. Colour was not correct. Dash was so poorly botched at the top where it meets the cowl and very wavy went mounted onto the car. JD wanted to get more money out of me because he didn't ship the dash to me properly. It cost me around $2000 being in Australia, and I got taken for a ride. I destroyed the dash bezel I waited 4 years for from Randy trying to get it to fit inside the very very very poorly trimmed dash. After waiting that long, I didn't care I was just sick of driving a car without a bezel and gauges in it. The dash was overstuffed around the gauges so the bezel didn't fit. I tried three different bezels, none of which fit inside the Al Knoch dash. Spent 3-4 hours with a hair dryer massaging the overstuffed vinyl in so anything would fit in. Called him directly, he didn't really care that I called about the grievances just wanted to get off the phone because there's nothing I could have done since the dash was now in Australia. The steering column hush panel didn't fit properly on the dash either. There were cracks in the frame that weren't fixed. The dash around the lip on the top had distressed vinyl where the paint was stretched out so there were splotches of black vinyl material underneath. The metal support bars were riveted back on crooked.

And JD in his mind thinks that I have tried to scam him or that I have taken him for a ride or something because he had to pay $300 in taxes for shipping for some reason. I have hundreds of parts sent to me from the US daily and not once have I ever been charged such a ridiculous amount in tax. He didn't fill out some form properly with fed-ex and decided that was my problem even though I had already paid thousands on a dash to arrive in the state it did. Didn't get my money back because shipping the dash back was going to cost even more, and at the time I didn't have the money. I had to repaint the dash to get the colour correct and fix all the other issues. I'm still not happy with it, and have since found an uncut radio hole 1979 camel tan dash I hope to have re-done one day when I concourse my Y84, but until then, the Al Slop dash will have to sit in my car. He had the audacity to get upset with me about it even though I got the real rotten end of the bargain.

If I have to ever get another dash done in the US, I will get in done through a one of the people that gets special treatment and gets work done to a higher level compared to the regular dashes that are sent out from Al. There's a few of them.
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 07:50:39 AM »
One thing rarely seen is some of the repair jobs months or years later and how they held up with certain products.
The dash in my 77 is prob. around 5 years now. No problems with the repair and it still looks great! Car stays in the garage more time than in the UV lights though. I have only wiped it down dry with a fine micro fibre, last summer for the first time I used 303 spray on it. I will add, there are 2 very small areas, maybe a 1/4" that have cracked but they are very near the bottom and in the original material that I did not touch. I have a coupe of others that I did before this one as a test sitting in my house, somewhat controlled environment that still look as good as when I did them 5 or 6 years ago. The one in my tata is over a year now and still looks great, however that car has yet to be on the road, but it is subject to extreme temp changes sitting in an unheated garage.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

hakitup

• Oracle Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 09:51:30 AM »
One thing rarely seen is some of the repair jobs months or years later and how they held up with certain products.

Mine cracked back out so now I have a dash pad on it until I get around to sending it to Just Dashes. The reason I want to get it done by then is they claim to be using newer material that has UV protection.

Tom H
"I don't know what you call it, I only know the sound it makes when it lies!!"

TammyTA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 02:50:54 PM »
Since my T/A isn't going to be "Perfect", I went with a dash cap.  Chunked out the bad stuff & used caulking to smooth it out before installing cap.   I'm very happy with the way it turned out. But then, I'm not gonna spent $20k for paint either. 

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 11:57:28 AM »
Since my T/A isn't going to be "Perfect", I went with a dash cap.  Chunked out the bad stuff & used caulking to smooth it out before installing cap.   I'm very happy with the way it turned out. But then, I'm not gonna spent $20k for paint either.

Do you remember what you used for glue?

I have a cap but I got it so long ago that I have no idea if the glue is any good. I've been fighting the idea of fixing what I have or covering it and I think I'll just cover the dash since I already have a dash cap for it!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(20 years and counting but still have her)
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=79648.0

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 01:21:03 PM »
I ended up using a cap. Since my dash was out, I used a few clamps around the edges and it came out well. I ended up using additional adhesive, and used pure silicone.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 01:21:03 PM »

2020-B1-8

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 02:56:57 PM »
In the construction business we used to use silicone as an adhesive for everything. It sticks pretty good initially, but I think there may be better stuff now. Power grab has a couple different products that are really good.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 07:19:24 PM »
Just make sure that the adhesive used has the ability to expand and contract with different heat and cooling cycles . I’m hoping I don’t have any issues with the cap.. it’s worth a try.

TammyTA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 08:10:33 AM »
Yep, pure silicon.  Since the dash is out, I used painters tape to hold down edges... the stuff that is supposed to come off easy after several days.  Pre fitting is a must.  Had several areas where I had to grind the old dash down for the cap to fit snug. since I'm doing the interior in black, I sprayed it with SEM black trim paint.  And make sure none of the silicon shows because paint won't stick to silicon.  It took a couple of hours spread over 3-4 days, but I'm real happy with how it came out.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 11:20:33 AM »
2021-01-10_12-12-14 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2021-01-10_12-12-04 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2021-01-10_12-11-42 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

May not be the right place to post, but since the subject was brought up.....heres my dash after around 4 or 5 years. I have lost track now. Still looks as good as when I did it. Car does get driven but always parked in the garage.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 10:51:32 AM »
That still looks great, the key is to keep it out of heat/sun.

Regards, Jack

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 04:01:52 PM »
Well, Kerry...you do tend to do quality work so it's not surprising. Dash looks great!!!
Charlie

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 11:19:02 AM »
He gave up buying a new one so we started trying to convince him to repair the one he has to save him a truck load of money!!!

Kerry posted his repair to give him confidence that it could be done and we also showed him the dash cap option incase he wanted to go that route!!

Now we are waiting to see what he settled on to do officially!!
Charlie

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 01:00:30 PM »
No it's me... it's always me lol.

Regards, Jack

Savage Larry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 04:43:13 PM »
Haha! You guys all got ghosted!
Jay
Calgary, AB
1977 4 speed W72

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2021, 05:55:15 PM »
If it wasn't for the fact that I have a 13 yo daughter,  I would have no idea what that means. But it's funny! True, but funny!
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (This one is next)

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 06:14:51 PM »
LOL, thats funny Luke, my 8 yo grandson is my tech go to.........
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 07:00:39 PM »
So what does it mean? I guess I can google it.

Regards, Jack

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 09:03:02 AM »
He's referring to the fact (I think) that Nhec1, who started this thread, hasn't replied to any of our ramblings. I think (not having kids in my house) that's what Ghosting means....annnnd I may be wrong!!
Charlie

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 09:03:02 AM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4