2020-B1-1

Author Topic: Radio cuts out when driving  (Read 332 times)

b3nny

• Active Forum Member
      • My TA
Radio cuts out when driving
« on: August 05, 2020, 07:51:02 AM »
Hi guys,

A couple years ago i installed a retrosound laguna radio and its been good. I had to fix the heatercore over the winter and now when i am driving the radio cuts out. i pulled the radio out and checked the back of the unit everything looks ok. I am wondering if maybe i knocked a ground loose or something when doing the heater core? The unit has power when it cuts out its just the speakers short out.  Any ideas where to look i really dont want to have to take out the heater/cool vents (again) under the passenger glovebox and dash to chase wires but i guess i may have. The annoying part is it plays just fine when parked so i would have to drive it to test.

Let me know if you think it could be a ground issue or what i am not a wiring expert!
Thanks,
JB
1980 Turbo TA (Olds 403)
My TA

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Radio cuts out when driving
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 09:06:36 AM »
Don't know if this is your problem, but I had a similar problem in one of my cars. Sometimes I'd hit a bump and the radio would quit playing, yet it still had power. Randomly hit a bump later, and it started working again for a while. I discovered that the antenna wire plug wasn't making a good contact inside the radio's antenna hole. So, cleaned the antenna plug and the hole in the radio, and made sure the plug fit tightly in the hole for good contact, and that fixed it.
Steve F.

Daedalus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 06:07:36 PM »
Does it go silent or does it sound like alternator noise?
'It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who's been swimming naked' - Warren Buffet

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 06:07:36 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3