2020-B2-5

Author Topic: Looking for a 77-78 trans am T-top  (Read 206 times)

Millom

• Active Forum Member
Looking for a 77-78 trans am T-top
« on: July 28, 2020, 05:23:19 AM »
Hey guys, I'm located in Edmonton, AB and I'm looking for a 77-78 trans am project. I'm willing to travel a province over either way to find the right one. I have David T's who is local and has a lot of these but he wants so much for his rust buckets and just can't justify paying that much for his as he's not willing to negotiate much on his prices. Please let me know what you have.

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Looking for a 77-78 trans am T-top
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 09:28:38 AM »
I will forward anything I find to you that is closer than Ontario

I am always looking

what is the budget range, how much work do you want to do yourself, if any at all?
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(19 years and counting but still have her)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 10:31:18 AM »
I know you mentioned in the lobby that you were looking at a car for $10k that seemed like it needed a lot of work. I have no idea how shipping goes between the Great White North and your neighbor to the south, but have you looked at Hemmings, Bring a trailer, Racing Junk, etc. I think if youre spending that kind of money your range is greatly increased. Good Luck.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Millom

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 03:43:05 PM »
I will forward anything I find to you that is closer than Ontario

I am always looking

what is the budget range, how much work do you want to do yourself, if any at all?

My price range is up to $10k. Only think I’m really not willing to do is the rear quarter panels myself but I have someone who will that that for me if needed. Everything else I can pretty much do myself.
I know you mentioned in the lobby that you were looking at a car for $10k that seemed like it needed a lot of work. I have no idea how shipping goes between the Great White North and your neighbor to the south, but have you looked at Hemmings, Bring a trailer, Racing Junk, etc. I think if youre spending that kind of money your range is greatly increased. Good Luck.

I’ve looked on all that stuff too but with this whole Covid thing going on it’s impossible for me to fly down to the US as the border is closed until further notice. Hemming has some nice ones as there are some on eBay too. Just figured if I kept it in Canada I wouldn’t have to pay a crap load more at the border for taxes and import fees.

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 12:11:01 PM »
Just figured if I kept it in Canada I wouldn’t have to pay a crap load more at the border for taxes and import fees.

For that reason, I have always shied away from trying too hard to get anything south of the boarder.
Charlie

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 03:17:37 PM »
I hear ya, My brother lives in Peterborough and has been trying to get down my way since at least memorial day!
Also, didnt know what logistics are involved with buying a car in US and shipping to CAN. I would do what I could to avoid excess fees/taxes/hassles as well.
Good Luck.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Millom

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 06:59:24 PM »
I hear ya, My brother lives in Peterborough and has been trying to get down my way since at least memorial day!
Also, didnt know what logistics are involved with buying a car in US and shipping to CAN. I would do what I could to avoid excess fees/taxes/hassles as well.
Good Luck.
Yeah it’s a huge mess, my sisters husband is stuck in Colorado as he doesn’t have papers to move here yet. So now lawyers are involved to try get him across the border. I imported my last car from Kentucky and I doubt I will import another one. It’s to much of a hassle with all the inspections it needs to make it legal here plus all the taxes they jam on you. I’ll keep looking Canada wide and just wait for the right one. Might not be this year but I’ll keep on looking

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 08:41:17 AM »
search on Kijiji as there is a white 79 with a rebuilt 403 in Calgary and he's asking $9,900 80,000 kms on it

hardtop with sunroof
Charlie

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 08:53:15 AM »
Not 77 or 78 and not T-tops...disregard
Charlie

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
Charlie

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 09:08:05 AM »
I bought a boat in Wisconsin and brought it back to Canada. Only paid the GST. (5%) at the border, had to get the trailer inspected. $125. I would say that the biggest hurdles to buying in the US and bringing it to Canada right now is the Covid restrictions on travel and the exchange on the dollar.

If I was to find a car for the right price in the US and could have it independently inspected to make sure it was everything the seller claimed, I’d buy it. But right now looking in Canada and in the West if possible so you can inspect and pick it up yourself does make sense.

Millom

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 03:35:10 PM »
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1977-transam/1514732211

Project car

I’ve emailed that guy a few times and he doesn’t like to return messages lol

Millom

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 07:30:05 PM »
I bought a boat in Wisconsin and brought it back to Canada. Only paid the GST. (5%) at the border, had to get the trailer inspected. $125. I would say that the biggest hurdles to buying in the US and bringing it to Canada right now is the Covid restrictions on travel and the exchange on the dollar.

If I was to find a car for the right price in the US and could have it independently inspected to make sure it was everything the seller claimed, I’d buy it. But right now looking in Canada and in the West if possible so you can inspect and pick it up yourself does make sense.

I bought my last car in the US, it was a hassle trying to arrange shipping, then once it was here customs had it for a week to inspect it. Then I had to take it for the out of country inspection then the out or province inspection then I could finally dive it lol. plus our $$ sucks so bad right now that it will tac on another 25% to the price. if I don't find one this year ill just keep on saing and looking, sooner or later a decent one has to pop up lol

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 07:30:05 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3