2020-B1-7

Author Topic: OEM front dash speaker you put in  (Read 430 times)

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
OEM front dash speaker you put in
« on: July 04, 2020, 06:06:18 PM »
I value the forum members opinion more important experience. What kind of speaker and who was vendor for simple replace front dash speaker with no drama. My instrument cluster is out and original speaker removed my aftermarket will not fit due to air conditioning duct.  Tell me what goes original bracket. Of course salesman and catalog said it would

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
Re: OEM front dash speaker you put in
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 09:04:57 PM »
I bought one of the many 4x10 dual voice coil speakers on the market, which has two channel inputs with one speaker cone (although two tweeters). I haven't assembled the dash yet so all I can show is this photo of it loosely mounted. Can't tell you if it will interfere with the ductwork but maybe you can judge from the photo.

I don't think I have the original speaker anymore but if I recall correctly this one is deeper than the original.

This is the RetroSound R-410N which didn't come with a bracket so had to make my own mimicking the OEM bracket. Although here's a similar one that comes with a bracket.
https://www.classiccarstereos.com/1970-1981-mono-pontiac-firebird-bracketed-dual-voice-coil-speaker.html
Gene

Wallington

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 11:03:27 PM »
Another option is to use 2 smaller speakers there, either custom mounted or by adding them to stock bracket minus the speaker. You can also but them new as a twin-speaker to suit these models. Of course it depends if using original or more recent stereo, 10 or 4 ohm.

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 12:18:31 AM »
I put a Dual Speaker set I bought from NPD in my project....I was not exactly a direct fit, but close enough. unfortunately the sound quality was not what I was expecting, but its in there and I'm not taking it back out.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 10:10:17 AM »
I bought one of the many 4x10 dual voice coil speakers on the market, which has two channel inputs with one speaker cone (although two tweeters). I haven't assembled the dash yet so all I can show is this photo of it loosely mounted. Can't tell you if it will interfere with the ductwork but maybe you can judge from the photo.

I don't think I have the original speaker anymore but if I recall correctly this one is deeper than the original.

This is the RetroSound R-410N which didn't come with a bracket so had to make my own mimicking the OEM bracket. Although here's a similar one that comes with a bracket.
https://www.classiccarstereos.com/1970-1981-mono-pontiac-firebird-bracketed-dual-voice-coil-speaker.html

Good picture! But, the link you put up doesn't match the speaker you have. The one in your link has a bigger magnet, and is not the same speaker you're using. The link below is for the Retrosound R-410N that you said you're using. I recognize it due to the chrome looking cone frame on the speaker. The total depth of R-410N speaker is very close to the depth of the original speaker which is 2.25". So it shouldn't cause interference with the a/c duct, especially since you were able to use the original support bracket. Here's the link to the R-410N: https://www.retromanufacturing.com/collections/dash-speakers/products/4x10-inch-ultra-thin-dash-replacement-speaker?variant=31329872270&fbclid=IwAR3eLToxbmhFq4yJSws4BmULKEwLy1Ese7fIGnYe2QwnJBxLUJpq8zSkWw0
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:47:31 PM by Grand73Am »
Steve F.

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 02:18:53 PM »
I bought NPD dual speaker on mount catalog stated pioneer but they are kenwood  will go behind center ac duct.   One response to my post stated his custom autosound didn’t clear right.  Awaiting reply from another 10th to see what he used that ac clearance no issue.   It’s to be hooked to a custom audio sound radio that was in the car.  How do I determine what Ohm it is as some speakers state not compatible

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 02:43:48 PM »
You could probably look up the model online but more likely than not it’s 4 ohm. I don’t know when they changed but original radios were the ones that needed 8 or 10 ohm speakers. If you can find the manual for your retro sound radio online the specs, including the impedance (ohm range) should be listed in there.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 04:42:41 PM »
Yes, any modern radio uses 4 ohm speakers, including aftermarket radios like your Custom Auto Sound radio. So, any new modern speaker commonly available will be 4 ohm, and is what your radio needs.

8-10 ohms were for the old original Delco radios, which lasted until around 1987. Those may have been the last of the factory radios that used 8-10 ohm speakers. You only need those if you're using the original radio for your car. Since radios that use those speakers aren't very common anymore, only specialty shops sell them, like turnswitch.com .
Steve F.

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 07:33:14 AM »
I went with turn switch speaker.  Good to deal with, mounted in factory bracket. Surprised at sound of new technology of small magnets.   Glad to be done with the installation

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 07:47:31 AM »
Sounds good. Do you have the part number they sold you? I'd like to look at it on their website. Thanks.
Steve F.

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 07:49:59 PM »
Another 10th purchased from them and told me the following s a 4" x 10" Delco Style Special Rectangle. Exactly like the original except the magnet is better. They provide a piece that fits over their magnet to fit the original bracket perfectly. $59.95. The speaker frame is the exact size and shape of the original. Call them and they will make sure you get what you need.  So  I called them and the owner answered the phone. He does not do on line orders because he wants to talk to the car owner to find out what exactly you need.  As he said that way he doesn’t have returned speakers. Had it in two days

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 08:00:54 PM »
Okay. Thanks for the info!
Steve F.

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 08:00:54 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3