2020-B2-6

Author Topic: Retro sound or custom autosound opinion years after  (Read 590 times)

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
Retro sound or custom autosound opinion years after
« on: June 12, 2020, 07:12:02 AM »
Im planning to replace cassette unit with Bluetooth. My car radio hole has not been cut so looking for unit to simply pop in but quality sound.   Have seen many old post on installs. Negative custom autosound and a few positive retro sound.  Did the retro sound prove to be a good choice over time?  Has anyone found that custom autosound improved quality?  Feel this may be simple route versus amps as such as I’m old school.  Thank you for your buyers opinion

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
Re: Retro sound or custom autosound opinion years after
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 11:19:02 AM »
Since original post I contacted retro sound inquiring on radio. They replied that they do not show a fittment for 78 trans am said I would have to supply dimensions.....for you that have retro was yours original fit or was hole cut.   I’m not cutting my opening.   

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 11:42:19 AM »
I had Custom Autosound like 10-15 years ago on my old car.  Always sounded like garbage no matter how much a I cleaned grounds....even replaced it with a different model.  I've never had problems with the 1 DIN new style stuff.  I know people like to keep the knobs and not cut the dash but new radios are so much better IMO.

79 Moneypit

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 12:05:15 PM »
My dash radio hole was butchered beyond recognition.  I made an aluminum repair plate and held it in place with spray foam and fiberglass cloth on the back.  I bought an OER repro radio bezel and used it to locate the openings in the aluminum plate.  I bought the Retro Hermosa stereo (for 70-81 Firebird) and adjusted the knob shafts where they needed to be, it ended up fitting very well.  I haven't reinstalled the dash in the car yet.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »
I have used the Retrosound unit and I find it to be a really good radio. You can use to different radios units . One is the one they list for the Firebird or you can use the one with the split face plate. The one I used for the split face plate was in my Lemans and also in my 72 Firebird. The second one is a square opening that will fit as well. Really it is dependent on which faceplate you choose to use. The daytona radio has the split opening and I believe the Hermosa or laguna model has the square opening.  Honestly I would measure out the dimension of your opening and give them a call. They are pretty good getting things figured out for you. They are a local company for me and I have been to their store several times and they have been quite helpful. I used their speakers and amps before and I was really happy with them.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 03:25:58 PM »
Appreciate the input. I’ll get those measurements and see what they offer from there on retro sound

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 03:56:53 PM »
I’ve been to one reputable car stereo in my area and the owner which is old school as well understanding I did not want to cut my radio opening suggested a jblprv275 marine amp with Bluetooth. Said would mount in glove box

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 05:04:53 PM »
Question 737driver.  Did you have to cut your radio opening for the unit to fit

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 05:05:39 PM »
What is your ultimate goal you’re trying to accomplish? I installed this Bluetooth amp under my center console and connected it to my 77’s factory radio and console 8 track player.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113M1824BT/Kenwood-KAC-M1824BT.html

I only posted that link cause it includes the pic with a golf ball to show scale. I think I paid $165, not what crutchfield lists it at in the link I posted.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 05:48:21 PM »
Simply want music from phone to car system.   Just found npd carries retro sound and they said no cutting required. Thank you For all input.  Checking for easiest path to accomplish this.  Been a while since I put in a radio

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 11:58:44 PM »
Question 737driver.  Did you have to cut your radio opening for the unit to fit
No cutting is needed. The unit is very adaptable so no cutting is required.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

Motleyfan

• Active Forum Member
  • Columbia City, IN
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 02:19:35 PM »
I have a bluetooth cassette that I just pop into my 77 vintage old Pioneer Supertuner am/fm/cassette player and bluetooth the cassette to my phone.  Sounds good to me and I can listen to Siriux/XM from m phone and even answer phone calls with it that way.  Works great.
Hold on to your ass Fred.....

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 08:22:50 PM »
I didn’t know the Bluetooth cassette existed. Started researching  This is inexpensive but found my cassette doesn’t work. Thanks for input

T/Atom

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 11:35:48 AM »
I have had the retrosound unit for just under a year, and I love it. I primarily connect my phone to it and use Pandora and the gps comes through the speakers too. The hands free calling works very well too. It looks the part in the car also, very oem look. You can see one of the usb connections I did next to the defroster switch, the other is in the glove box. I usually mount the phone as pictured and use a very short cable for a clean look, for me the mount is ideal because I use the gps all the time.

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 11:35:48 AM »

2020-B1-8

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 01:04:22 PM »
I like that phone mount, need to get me one!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Motleyfan

• Active Forum Member
  • Columbia City, IN
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2020, 09:42:39 AM »
I didn’t know the Bluetooth cassette existed. Started researching  This is inexpensive but found my cassette doesn’t work. Thanks for input

My cassette play would not play either.  The bluetooth cassette works perfectly though.  You may want to give that a shot since it is a cheap alternative to a whole new audio system.

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 07:34:49 PM »
I ordered the Bluetooth cassette that motleyfan suggested.  It’s worth $20 to try versus unit replacement. My cassette turns but no sound but off his experience I’ll try it.  I’ll report when i get it in

Motleyfan

• Active Forum Member
  • Columbia City, IN
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 07:50:47 AM »
I hope it works out for you....

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2020, 04:19:29 PM »
GREAT FIND. The Bluetooth cassette works great..I have a cassette unit in dash that only the radio worked although the head would turn cassette but no sound with pioneer speakers.  Was researching and about to buy retro sound unit Never knew there was a Bluetooth cassette existed.  From Motley fan experience I  Spent $20 to try to see if it would work in my car.  Sounds as good as I could ask for.  Accomplished my goal music from phone.  $20.  Thanks for info.  Forum is great info source

Motleyfan

• Active Forum Member
  • Columbia City, IN
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 08:49:43 AM »
Glad it worked out for you.  I was in the same boat as you.  Easier to adapt new technology then replace old with new in this case.   

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 08:49:43 AM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4