2020-B1-6

Author Topic: How to patch holes cut for speakers in sides of console  (Read 184 times)

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
How to patch holes cut for speakers in sides of console
« on: May 17, 2020, 12:27:09 PM »
My console has speakers mounted on each side of console from previous owner.  Any ideas as to how to repair or camouflage the holes to go back to dash speakers new console pricey and would have to paint

Wallington

• Active Forum Member
Re: How to patch holes cut for speakers in sides of console
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 08:33:06 AM »
Not without grafting panels in and then recovering the unit and redying. You could try stretching some sheet vinyl over the sides but no solid edges to work to. It would be a big job even to dodgy it up.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 11:57:08 AM »
I have a console that had a big crack/break down the passenger side of it. I used Marine Tex epoxy as a glue and glued a piece of sheet metal to the back of the break, and even added 3 screws on each side of the crack to make sure it was held sturdily in place. Then I roughed up the exposed crack line and applied some more Marine Tex as filler. After that hardened, I sanded it down and finished off the repair with some body filler and sanding primer to smooth and blend the final filler repair. They I sprayed it with some matching color paint. Ideally I would've used some SEM texture paint to replicate the texture, but by not spraying the paint on smoothly, it's textured enough and can't even tell it was broken.

You could do a similar thing. To fill those speaker holes, I'd use pieces of sheet metal, or sheet aluminum, or plastic sheet, pieces bigger than the holes themselves, and glue them behind the holes, so that would be your backing surface behind the holes. I use sheet metal, since I always have some around. I'd use Marine Tex for the glue and for base filling, since I like the way it works. Once it hardens it doesn't move. I used some panel adhesive once that was unstable and would keep swelling. You don't want that to happen. I'd also use some small flat head sheet metal screws to screw through the console into the backing material around the holes. Now you'd need something to fill the recessed area of the speaker holes. So, I'd cut 2 circular pieces of whatever material I was using and make them to fit inside the speaker holes. Glue them to your backup surface, so that the holes are now filled and level with the outer surface. Then fill the gaps around the holes with Marine Tex, and finish and blend with a little body filler and prime and paint.

I think that it could turn out pretty good, and be an invisible repair. There would be some expense in the materials, but probably much less than buying another used console and paying for shipping, and then probably still having to spruce it up and paint it too.
Steve F.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 03:57:23 PM »
Agree with Grand Am, same basic idea but personally I would use some different products of which I am familiar with. I had a thread in here someplace of a console I restored that was just about broke in half. For the cost of a new one I would def. try to fix what you have.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
  • 1979 T/A 400/4-Speed WS6 Blk Hardtop
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 01:49:28 PM »
I'd just toss it and get a repro, honestly. Or an original that can be more easily restored.

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 03:45:10 PM »
They can't be that hard to fix an original, Kerry did major work to his TATA 4-speed console, speakerholes surely can be patched with some fibreglass or the stuff that G/A was talking about, I think just getting it flat and flush would be the hardest part. The texture will never be the same as original, but unless you're stroking the side of your console (like myself) no one will ever know
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 03:45:10 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3