2020-B2-5

Author Topic: Converting My Structure to a Garage  (Read 1321 times)

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Converting My Structure to a Garage
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2020, 01:21:24 PM »
That made me laugh, what your son said about pouring the concrete. I needed that today!!

as they say, from the mouth of babes!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(20 years and counting but still have her)

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2020, 05:11:57 PM »
Assuming you will have a 6" slab, why pour such a small area between the posts? If you have good drainage frost will not be a problem but it will be hard to tie the small wall section with the slab. Also I would include some reinforcing otherwise the concrete will crack.

Regards, Jack

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2020, 05:42:39 AM »
I had to pour in between the posts because the ground along that back side tapers up, so it is necessary to raise the framed wall section. I didn't add any rebar to this pour, but I will in the next three sections since they will be much taller. The tallest section on the back will probably be close to 2 ft tall.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2020, 07:01:28 AM »
I was able to make some more progress over the weekend. I didn't grab a picture after I took the forms off, overall I'm pretty happy with the results. There was one corner where I didn't compact it enough and it didn't get 100% filled in, but this was my first ever pour. Good news is that next year when the pad is poured in here that it will get filled in as it is under the level of the concrete. I learned my lesson and didn't let that happen on the second one.

Dug down to get the second pour all formed up and ready.

I got busy mixing and didn't take a picture after it was all formed up, but here is is after my pour. What I noticed right away as I was mixing is that there is a different color for the second bags I bought? These are tan whereas the first bags are gray? Strange, but I'm not too concerned about it. In my area I had a tough time even finding 80lb concrete bags since there is apparently a shortage with all of the construction work being done. I was able to get 10 bags at Home Depot, so I can continue on. I ended up using 7 40lb bags on the first section and the second section took 5 80lb and 3 40lb bags.

I had to put this fence up behind it because it was going to rain about an hour after I poured it. Hence why I was rushing.

After the forms were removed and got some gravel on the outside. Very pleased with the results so far. You can see where I started with the 3 40lb gray bags and then realized I had tan in the 80 lb bags. Oh well, too late now.

I'm hoping to plug away at the third section this week during lunch break and after work so that I can hopefully pour by this weekend. Once I get all of the walls poured, I'll start framing it all up and get it weathered in. Hopefully I'll get it all done before it gets too cold to work out there.

Thanks,
Ryan

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2020, 07:01:28 AM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4