2020-B1-1

Author Topic: Converting My Structure to a Garage  (Read 705 times)

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
Converting My Structure to a Garage
« on: May 08, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »
I know that there are some construction guys here and I thought I'd ask the site for some help. So the short story is this structure on my property started off as an enclosed/heated dog shed/kennel that's roughly 12' x12'. The previous owner added 10' on the front and rear, then added a 10' lean-to off the whole back side. This has resulted in a structure with roughly a 24'x30' covered and partially concreted area. It was originally meant to cover an outdoor wood boiler, storage for the logs and a heated kennel for his out door dogs. I recently joined a co-op that gives me a fantastic price on propane, so much so that I decided to sell the boiler and don't have any need for an outdoor kennel. So now that I've sold the boiler and the kennels inside of the structure, I'm left with quite a bit of storage and what I feel as the potential for a nicely sized garage.

So what I'm asking for some advice on is some direction and maybe ideas on how to proceed. I'm an accountant by trade, but quite handy with electrical, basic construction, and etc. My end goal is to fully enclose and insulate this structure to give me a nice detached garage. I want to start with the section closest to the driveway and work my way around. The opening are roughly 11' wide and 7' tall.

I was planning on framing up the front and installing a garage door. For the side closest to the attached garage, I want to just frame up a wall section and slide right on top of the concrete. What I'm unsure of is what materials I should use? Should I use a treated board on part that will touch the concrete? I know concrete draws moisture and would likely rot an untreated board. Or is best practice to put a piece of plastic/tar down in between the board and concrete? Should I drill and install some anchors, or will I be able to just get some concrete screws to secure the wall section?

Some advice as a starting point would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Ryan
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 07:33:19 AM by ryeguy2006a »

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
      • http://www.transamcountry.com
Re: Advice On Converting My Structure to a Garage
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 12:44:08 PM »
I'm not a contractor and I don't even play one on TV, but I am presently pricing out a new "Barndominium".  I'm either going with a true steel frame building or a post and beam pole barn.  From what I can see you are really close to a pole barn config already.  It looks like you have some vertical beams resting on the concrete, but I would probably look at replacing the beams that are in, or resting on the ground.  Use some bolt on or wet set brackets to mount the beams, throw up some wall girts and install metal sides.  You are very handy, so I would suggest to check out the "Mad county build" on youtube.  Its a guy building a 5ksqft pole barn house practically by himself and it is amazing.  The videos are labeled really well and the guy is very thorough.  I think you'll find exactly what you are looking for.
1979 Firebird v6 3spd manual (they do exist)

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 12:52:41 PM »
I guess it is best keep wood up off the floor, treated or not, if the rain runs right down onto the slab.  They call that a "stem wall" where you put masonry to get you up off the floor.  However, when I built my shop, I didn't do that;  I put a piece of treated wood down where I needed to.  This is in just one small area where the driveway/apron gets rained on, and the wood is sitting right on it.

In terms of fastening wood down, it's immaterial.  The building hasn't blown away yet, so it's not going to.  Tapcon screws or a ramset nail would be more than adequate considering the building is already there.  Anchors would be better.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 07:20:38 PM »
Wood should never touch concrete and you should install a slab sill sealer. You also need to secure the wood to the slab but equally need to make sure that you have footing below the frost line.

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 10:24:33 AM »
Ryan, looks like you are way ahead of the game already. The 'A' framed area with the open gable could be enclosed pretty easy and make a nice machine room. I would not hesitate to build upon the slab, it looks like the structure has been there a few years and its still holding up ok. Anything that you frame on the concrete should have a pressure treated plate, i would use some 'red head' anchors, 1/2". They drill through the plate into the concrete. They drive into the concrete and the top part is an exposed hex nut. May be a bit of overkill but thats the way we always do it. Like was mentioned that building has weathered some years without being blown away so you really dont need to worry about any uplift at this point. In fact, closing it in will help with that in itself. Tapcons are fine too, i would just go the next step up. Not exactly sure what Im looking at to the left side of the A frame, it looks like the posts are in the ground.  I would assume they are on a footing and treated, all pole barns are built this way, if thats the case then youre good to go closing that in. You could always increase a footing at the end, put in a support beam and structural post and open that wall completely up. Same deal with the long wall at the low side of the lean to. It looks like a wood beam that things are on, but i doubt thats how its done. If the posts are set on footings and treated, again they should be fine. If that is a wood beam, i would take it out, and pour a downturn in the slab at that edge. As long as you hold the concrete 8" or so above grade it looks like your good. Cheapest, easiest way to close in would be to set 2x4's horizontal (purlins) on the exisiting posts and use a vertical metal barn siding. Another way would be to frame in between with a stud wall 16" oc, sheath and put vinyl siding on.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 12:52:44 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies, I really appreciate it. I do plan to frame up the structure using 16" OC and enclosing the outside with vinyl siding to match the house. I appreciate the tips on hardware and execution. I'll continue to update this as I get a chance to work on it.

Thanks,
Ryan

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 05:58:45 AM »
I haven't gotten much done on this project lately, but I'm ramping it up now. I've bought some materials and found a great deal on a pair of matching insulated 9 x 7 garage doors and tracks locally.

I'm going to start on the rear side of the garage where I plan to park my lawn tractor and keep all of my yard tools. I plan on framing up a wall and anchoring it to the concrete. The previous owner has a bunch of matching siding, so I'll use as much of that as I can. Not sure exactly what kind of door I want back there yet, but I do want to be able to open it up so I can pull my tractor in and out.

The I'm also in the process of leveling out the lean to that was constructed off of the side. It has roughly a 16" slope over 30', so I have quite a bit of material to move around. It was used for wood cutting and storage, but the base is #2 rocks, so I'd like to retain as much of the #2 so it would eventually make a nice base for concrete. What's holding me up though is the side walls. I had a long conversation with Kerry a few months back, and I think that I understand what he suggested, but want to be sure. Since these footer boards are placed on the inside of the posts, I plan to add some matching boards to the outside then pour concrete between the boards. I would plan to pour that wall deeper than the level of my eventual concrete floors, but would I remove the inner footer boards once the concrete cures?

This is the rear side of the lean to where it slopes up.

This is the front of the structure that faces my driveway. I plan to have the concrete level with this footer board.

I'm hoping to frame and install one of the rear walls this weekend. I'm not going to be pouring footer walls for a while, but any advice would be appreciated. Just so I know if I'm going in the right direction.

Thanks,
Ryan

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 02:02:26 PM »
I can't imagine any scenario that would benefit by leaving the inside board, but can think of a few reasons to remove it after the concrete sets. Either way, your new concrete will not bond to teh older concrete, but since it will be a retaining wall- there's no place for your new concrete to move to anyway.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1969 Firebird 400 (non-numbers)
1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 05:39:57 AM »
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the input. I felt the same way and then Kerry (roadking) helped me get straightened out as well. 

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 07:45:42 AM »
I made some progress this weekend on my garage build. I started by pulling off the siding on the back side to get to the bones so that I could tie my new wall into the building.

The biggest issue that I discovered, is that the main support beam for the corner of the building was sitting flush against the edge of the concrete, but I wanted it to be uniform like the rest of the building. So that meant that I had to support the corner of the building, move the beam about 1.5", redrill the concrete, and put it all back together.

With that moved, I could measure and build my wall. I went to the hardware store to get some materials, but what I discovered is that there is a huge shortage of building materials, and more specifically treated 2x4's. They had 1 2x6x16, so I got the idea to have them cut the board in half at the store, so it was easier to transport. When I got home I ripped the board in half. Since a 2x4, measures 3.5" and a 2x6 measures 5.5", my ripped boards measured out to be 2.75" which isn't that much less than a regular 2x4. I'm not building a high end structure and I wanted to move forward with getting this enclosed.

Once that was done, I put up my OSB which was pretty easy since what I'm adding on is just shy of 8' wide. Also note the rope that is going through the upper opening. That is my son's grappling hook. He was outside with me when I was doing most of this and he was using a rope I gave him and lifting his stuff up on it to keep it away from bears haha.

I used the extra material that wrapped around and stapled it to the new wall. I need to grab another roll or two of the StyroFoam roll and then I can put the siding and soffit back on. I plan to re-use as much of the siding as I can so that it will match the sun-fading on this side.

I also bought two 9x7 insulated garage doors for the front side of the garage. They will match my opening perfectly and they pretty closely match the doors on my attached garage.

Hopefully by the end of summer I'll have it enclosed and can tinker on it this winter.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 03:52:55 PM »
Looking good but why 2 garage doors?

Regards, Jack

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 05:45:27 AM »
The front of the garage that is facing my driveway will have the garage doors, not the rear where I'm working on now.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Converting My Structure to a Garage
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 08:00:21 AM »
Well just like any project, there are little surprises that pop up and this one is no different. I knew that there was some thing going on here because if we ever got a really hard rain, the walls would leak from the bottom as well as the bottom edge of the door was showing a little rot. I wasn't expecting this however...

So I chose to start digging in until I could find out where the rot ended so I could get it removed. Pulled the door and frame out of there. I started at the far corner where the siding was already off. I cut out 12" of the lower OSB to find see how far up the rot went. I was happy that it really only went up about 6", so I didn't need to cut any more out. Believe it or not those two lower 2x4 boards are treated! Just so much rainwater that it destroyed them...

Then I pulled the siding off of the other side and did the same 12" cut. I was happy that the studs were in good shape so I really only had to replace the two bottom boards.

Then the sketchy part of removing the bottom laminated 2x4's. I used my floor jack to lift up in the center of the trusses on the inside and then my sawsall to cut the nails that were coming up from the bottom into the trusses. I snapped a quick picture while it was out.

Then I cleaned the area and quickly replaced the boards. Nice thing was the guy who built it must have just used the 12' boards right off the shelf because I didn't even need to trim them to length.

Then when the weight was back down on the main bottom board, I cut 10" of the lower studs from the door frame and added a second support next to it. Then screwed them all back together.

It was hard getting a picture yesterday since it was so bright, but I wanted to get this thing back to weather tight before we get any rain. I'd rather not introduce moisture now that I've gotten all that rot cleaned up. I replaced that lower board I cut out and toe nailed the studs with screws.

I'm pretty handy when it comes to building things, but a lot of this I'm learning as I go. Apparently there should have been some flashing installed when this was first built. So, I bought a roll and installed it. This is my first time working with this stuff and it wasn't too bad, but I wish I was able to get a cleaner bend on everything. It looks ok, but most importantly it will keep the water out. I'm also going to install gutters to direct the water where I want it rather than splashing up. I believe that is what caused most of the water in the first place.

Now that this is finished, I can focus on getting this enclosed. Hopefully that is the last surprise that I come across.

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 10:11:38 AM »
That’s a great job.  Yeah- flashing never goes on picture-perfect but it works.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
      • http://www.transamcountry.com
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 10:21:23 AM »
Flashy job as always. 
1979 Firebird v6 3spd manual (they do exist)

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 10:21:23 AM »

2020-B1-8

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 12:43:32 PM »
Thanks Mike, and Mike haha. I may try and rig something up to make a DIY brake to re-do that flashing I did. Before I put the siding back on.

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 01:26:02 PM »
looking like a pro.  Good stuff!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 02:23:39 PM »
Looks good. I wouldnt worry too much about it. Once the siding is on you wont see most of it. Not sure how you bent it, but a couple of 2 x 4's and some c clamps will do the trick in a pinch. Also, if you havent already, pick up some window flashing tape and tape the inside corners at the door sill.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 04:29:05 AM »
Nice work. Looks good to me. You should have that turned into a nice building in no time!
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 11:42:04 AM »
Thanks guys. Kerry, I'll look into that. I don't want to have to do this again, but now I'm actually thinking that I may move the door to the left into the next section rather than where it is. I think it would make more sense closer to the driveway.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 10:00:13 AM »
Continuing on with my progress that has been very slow. I decided to relocate the door to this lower section so that I could fit a full sized door without having to go into the soffit where the door was. I think it will look better too. I threw the door up quickly to see how it looked mocked up. As soon as I saw it there, I knew that's where I wanted it.

So a decision was made to save the door rather than replace it at this point. The door is in good shape with the exception of this lower section that was rotted out pretty badly. I found a piece of scrap treated 2x4 and fit up a replacement lower section for the door frame. While ugly, it works and it will last me for several years as is. Eventually I'll get a new door and frame to replace it, but for now, I'm happy to have a full sized door to fill that hole. Fresh coat of paint, and I'll bet most won't even notice it.

I added a lower section of OSB and it made it look so much more complete. Now I need to decide where I want to add in a window. I'm going to re-use the two windows from the original structure, but I'm not sure what height will look most natural.

I'm hoping to put up some flashing and house wrap shortly to get it more weather tight. Next up is framing in where the door used to be and adding the siding to one whole side. I'm thinking that the siding will go up pretty quickly and that will keep my wife happy.  :lol:

Cheers,
Ryan

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2020, 06:03:13 PM »
It's turning out awesome!
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2020, 06:18:44 PM »
I didn't know we had a garage and shops section lol but yours is coming out great.

Regards, Jack

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2020, 06:28:14 PM »
Thanks guys!

Jack, we didn't until today. I suggested it to mrbandit and he liked the idea.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 07:03:52 AM »
Slowly making more and more progress. I installed the flashing along the bottom edge to keep the water out this time. I also used a pretty cool clear sealant to keep out the water from a few of the complex bends I had to make where the levels of concrete change.

Once the flashing was done, I could finally do a final install on the door. I had some leftover door shims, so I got it to seal up and close very nicely. Then I locked it down with some long screws.

Once the door was installed I could wrap the wall to help keep out the moisture. (Free advertising for Lowe's haha) Then I sealed up the door with a sort of tar paper sealer. It reminded me of the FatMat insulation I used on my Camaro. I'm hoping over the next week to get the siding back on to have one side completed.

I bought a pair of garage doors a few weeks ago, but they aren't going to be available until the sellers have the company come in with new doors. Once I can get those, I'll start on the front of the garage and get that completed first. That my wife doesn't have to look at the construction mess. Haha :lol:

Cheers,
Ryan

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 07:03:52 AM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4