2020-B1-4

Author Topic: 1973 Valance and center spoiler  (Read 293 times)

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
1973 Valance and center spoiler
« on: March 16, 2020, 03:09:02 PM »
Does anyone have pics and/or the measurements of the spacers that go between the valance and the front center spoiler of a 73 TA... not sure if 70-72 have the same set up.
My current project is a 74 TA that will have a 73 nose on it, this is just the last piece of the puzzle I’m trying to figure out before paint. Unable to find any good pics..
Firebird central has the kit for $40.00.... three spacers and bolts... a little pricey for me.

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 1973 Valance and center spoiler
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 09:14:56 PM »
I made them once and bought them once. My pics & measures won't help because I have an aftermarket air dam no longer made and had to modify sleeves to fit. You have a PM with more info.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 10:54:37 PM »
73 factory assembly manual doesn't show any spacers.  Where do these go?  Now I'm wondering if I need them.

Gene

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 02:57:06 PM »
Thanks Not a TA, got the info I needed, spacers are 1.5 inches in length. I’ll just make my own kit and save a little $$.
..Thank you.
Gene, I had to buy a aftermarket steel valance and a plastic front center spoiler and where the three center bolts the spoiler to the valance had a large gap. Apparently spacers were used to mount the pieces together. The pics do not show the location or the spacer.... great pic though..
I do not know if the plastic valance used these spacers or not. I guess most are lost after restoring or too rusty to be reused and just replaced with a stack of washers.
Is your valance plastic or steel, just wondering if spacers were used on both.

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 03:51:29 PM »
I've made the spacers out of rubber hose in the past and that allows a little "adjustment" when you're being picky about aligning the pieces. The rubber also provides a little give if the air dam hits something. Because of the speeds I started running my car at Land Speed races (up to 150 MPH)  I put steel sleeves back in using Norwoods kit.

Slightly different topic but does the valance you got look like the 73 plastic one or the 70-mid/late 72? I like the later one that hides the lower edge of the Endura nose. It's a cleaner look and MIGHT give a slight aero advantage.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 05:12:43 PM »
Gene, I had to buy a aftermarket steel valance and a plastic front center spoiler and where the three center bolts the spoiler to the valance had a large gap. Apparently spacers were used to mount the pieces together. The pics do not show the location or the spacer.... great pic though..
I do not know if the plastic valance used these spacers or not. I guess most are lost after restoring or too rusty to be reused and just replaced with a stack of washers.
Is your valance plastic or steel, just wondering if spacers were used on both.

I haven't reached the assembly point yet in my build but I've got the aftermarket plastic ABS valance and Danko fiberglass spoiler so not sure if it mounts exactly the same as OEM.  I just pulled them out from storage to see what's up and can see that spacers are definitely going to be needed.

Although the gaps appear to be different than what the Firebird Central kit looks like it comes with.  I've got a gap of about 1 1/8" on the outside mount points (the ones with the tabs) and about 1/2" on the three center mount points.  The joining surfaces are not parallel either so I'll probably just fab up something custom when the time comes.
Gene

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 05:24:03 PM »
Mine shows the edge of the Endura nose.

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 05:28:55 PM »
The outside mounting holes on mine bolt directly to the valance .
It looks like the outside tab on yours will mount the same.
Is the pic of the Danco one? Not pre-drilled, maybe?

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 10:31:43 PM »
Yes, the spoiler in the photo is the Danko and none of the holes are pre-drilled.  The fiberglass has zero flexibility but the plastic valance is very bendy.  If I flex the valance enough I can get the tabs to lay down, but unflexed then there is a big gap in the front center. Maybe once the valance is mounted to the bumper and core support then things will line up better.  Unfortunately I already got rid of my steel valance so can't test fit the spoiler to that.
Gene

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 10:31:43 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4