2020-B4-1

Author Topic: 1978 Firebird Formula Two Tone: Vinyl striping?  (Read 383 times)

Firebird4Life

• Active Forum Member
1978 Firebird Formula Two Tone: Vinyl striping?
« on: March 12, 2020, 05:10:05 PM »
Hello there!

I own a two-tone 1978 Firebird Formula (White with gold striping around) and I am looking for opinions/ advice on this matter. It's been a lot of extra work, with unexpected replacement of floor pans, trunk pans, & rockers. We are getting closer to the paint stage, and the shop doing my car suggested I paint the car fully in white, and then have somebody apply the gold striping around the bottom 1/4 of the car in Vinyl, with the decals. Does anybody have experience applying a vinyl wrap? How is the quality versus using a second color (gold) to paint the car instead of a gold stripe? Any advantages to doing the vinyl method, other than cost? Has anyone else done something like this, and if so were you happy with your results?

He anticipates it difficult and a lot of extra work to paint the car with the striping, but isn't against doing it. I just wondered how other car owners would feel about opting for the vinyl wrap method if it were theirs.

Thanks,
Greg

Firebird4Life

• Active Forum Member
Re: 1978 Firebird Formula Two Tone: Vinyl striping?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 05:15:26 PM »
[img]https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1978-formula-firebird-secret/?galleryImageId=86400img]

Images of a like car can be followed using this link.

Wallington

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 07:24:23 PM »
Just do it properly with paint, clearly they don't want the job. If it's difficult to mask a car and spray over the top, then he's probably already bluffing his way through previous work.

That link car is not painted correctly, has missing gold sections and has the door decals on the wrong doors. But otherwise looks sharp in a field of black SE.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:28:59 PM by Wallington »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 07:06:39 AM »
I cant see the link. Guess it depends on budget, authenticity, and end results. If it is a stock colour/decal combination have you checked with Pheonix Graphics? They have a wide variety of correct decals for Pontiacs. If that is not an option, I would suspect that having a sign shop put the decal on may be cheaper. If done properly I would think that the end result would be fine and last quite awhile. Painting would probably be the best option and last as long as the rest of the new paint on the car.
If it were my car and there wasn't a commercially available decal made to fit, I would paint it. I agree with Walli.. that its not a big deal to put 2 different colours on. I am an amateur at best and recently painted two tone on my anniversary car with success. This should be a no brainer for someone with experience. The difficulty I suppose is in the layout.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Wallington

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 10:57:09 AM »
The front and rear fender paint angles are horrendous on that one.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 11:10:42 AM »
I know. That's what I thought.  How could you not notice that when painting it??
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Wallington

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 12:06:10 AM »
I know that the factory did these in a hurry and were probably by eye most the time rather than measurement since they didn't line up. My own Formula had the rear bumper paint stripes at different angles on each end, neither of which lined up with the door stripe, but didn't have one up and one down either. There's an entire gold infill missed on the rear bumper top as well and looks to have a white tail panel behind the lights, giving a white edge between lights and spoiler stripe that shouldn't be there. Otherwise it looks mint, but attention to detail isn't there. And this is far from a quick production line touch-up.

PhoenixGraphix

• Active Forum Member
      • Phoenix Graphix - "Any Decal, Any Car, Any Year!"
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 02:30:15 PM »
https://phoenixgraphix.com/transam/7678df.php

We can provide you the correct decals for your car. They are made from automotive cast grade vinyl. Check out the link or give us a call. This  decal kit is a GM licensed reproduction decal
www.PhoenixGraphix.com
800-941-4550 Call us today!

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 02:30:15 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4