2020-B4-2

Author Topic: Classic industries  (Read 455 times)

james.dowling99@yahoo.com

• Active Forum Member
Classic industries
« on: February 14, 2020, 08:37:32 PM »
HI TAC. I am getting tired of all these companies that sell repro parts. It seems they are not happy unless they are pissing me off.
You may have seen my complaint of inline tube sending me the wrong parts and trying to short me on the shipping for their mistake.
I also mentioned in another post calling year one 3 times to get hubcentric rings for their repro snow flakes { first 2 agents  told me we "don't have them"}.
I recently returned a steering shaft that I was not happy with how it fit.  We measured it with a veneer caliper it was sloppy all around. Another member sent me a link and i got a better part.
It took 3 wks to get my refund, when i got it, it was about $35 shy. They refunded me the price of the part, but not......
A) tax
B) shipping, which is overpriced at classic industries
C) the $10 they charged me to expedite shipping, meaning to ship it the next day.
That $129 is the total what I paid for the better part and it was at my house in 3 days.
As you all know these cars are expensive and time consuming beasts. All I want is a fair shake and the right part in a timely manor. I as most all of you barely have time to do things once, let alone time to repeat the same project, job etc a second time due to no fault of your own. Then you pick up the phone and have to explain yourself 7 times to 5 different people.
Classic sent me junk as far as I am concerned. And then they nickel and dimed me. I have bought $300 worth of small trim parts from them in the past, {1 order}. I guess I can add them to my do not call list.

79' Y84 WS6 {wife's}
73' Sedan Deville {Survivor}
75 Delta 88 conv {under construction}
12' Mazda 3I
18' Sierra

langss

• Active Forum Member
Re: Classic industries
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 11:27:37 PM »
You are not alone. I bought a Bell Housing from them last year. It was on sale, and the one I currently have is damaged, so I figured...on sale...free shipping....just tax....do it. It arrives, and looks like something cast in a public school metal shop. Cracks, Welds, Grind Marks, it was completely unserviceable. I sent them multiple pictures, and did get a reply....then nothing. I called several times and finally got an answer. Fortunately I have a close friend that lives near their location so I went down to visit and exchanged the part in person. Frankly the new part is not what I expected, and not much better than the damaged part. But I didn't want to spend Scattershield type money for an experiment. In retrospect, I probably should have . 

allenga

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 08:21:38 AM »
It is the most frustrating part of owning one of these cars.  I am restoring mine and have to return about 50% of the parts I buy for poor quality, fitment issues or poor packaging leading to damage.  I bought a high flow condenser, bent during shipment, had to return 4 of them before I got a good one.
1977 Trans Am, stock 400 W72, auto.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 09:31:53 AM »
Very unfortunate. I rarely use Classic, as they are on the wrong coast. The few times I have, it seems that it took a week and a half to get the shipment, not that I am ever in a hurry though. The few exceptions were when they had a pretty good sale, but in the end about all that did was wipe out the shipping charge. I have and will continue to buy from Ames. I have never had to send a product back and have always been happy with my purchases. I will steer away from the products that have disclaimers like 'this product is of fair quality' type of thing. I always buy the best, even if I have to save an extra month or two to get it.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 04:35:49 PM »
I like how they tell you what they think of the product too. I buy from NPD because the shipping is free at $300 and big items I can pick up as they are only an hour away from me.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 11:07:13 PM »
+1 for Ames.  Over the past 7 years I’ve used all of the companies out there.  I can’t remember returning anything to them.  Their catalog even gives honest assessments of the parts they sell.
Unfortunately they’re on the opposite coast from me too but the extra shipping cost is worth it.

I’ve found Classic/OER to be a complete crapshoot in terms of quality. 
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

aussieta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 03:11:33 AM »
back in the late 90's i bought ignition barrel from classic
from memory it was $10. plus shipping was $50
yo 4 core radiator was $100 shipping
all shipping to australia
1978 Y84 W72 WS6
A Camaro looks like it could kick your ass.
A Trans Am looks like it's coming over to do it

tz6p06

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 08:14:37 AM »
I bought seat backs from The Parts Place and when I got them they were scratched up.  I got new parts sent but it was such a hassle.  At first they didnt believe me, made it seem like I was lying about it.

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 05:07:21 PM »
I eventually got my shipping and the $10 rush fee back. it took 3 phone calls and they took their sweet time crediting it back to my card.
But why? I hold a grudge. They are not the only game in town.
I will simply do my best to spend my money elsewhere. That's it. And I am good at bitching. I will share my unpleasant experiences, in hopes that one person will read it and buy what they need elsewhere if possible. That's all folks!!!
So leave the feedback on Evilbay, share your experiences with vendors who disappoint {screw} you.
79' Y84 WS6 {wife's}
12' Mazda 3I
18' Sierra

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 05:14:27 PM »
Also, thanks to all for sharing the positive. This is important. I see some of you are happy with Ames, I believe i recently received their catalog in the mail.
79' Y84 WS6 {wife's}
12' Mazda 3I
18' Sierra

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 05:14:27 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4