Author Topic: New Rotors Now?  (Read 138 times)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
New Rotors Now?
« on: January 13, 2020, 04:29:46 PM »
 I would like to start the rebuild of my front (and possibly rear) brakes. I am going to look at either new calipers or having mine rebuilt. New brake lines, clean things up, etc. My question is should I put new rotors on now? I doubt the car will run under power until maybe next fall if Im lucky. Im afraid new rotors will rust up and seat against the new shoes thus fowling everything up. I had a crazy idea of taking the current rotors that are rusted badly, sand them pretty good and just put a coat of sealing paint in the mean time. Am I over thinking this?
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Captain Obvious

• Active Forum Member
Re: New Rotors Now?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 08:07:52 PM »
I would like to start the rebuild of my front (and possibly rear) brakes. I am going to look at either new calipers or having mine rebuilt. New brake lines, clean things up, etc. My question is should I put new rotors on now? I doubt the car will run under power until maybe next fall if Im lucky. Im afraid new rotors will rust up and seat against the new shoes thus fowling everything up. I had a crazy idea of taking the current rotors that are rusted badly, sand them pretty good and just put a coat of sealing paint in the mean time. Am I over thinking this?

Some flash rust isn't going to hurt a thing. If you're storing it outside or something, that's a different story.

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 08:44:44 PM »
I had the same concern a year and half ago (spring of 2018) when I installed some freshly turned rotors.  Mine is parked in the garage and there is still zero rust on them.  This is California but it does get pretty humid for 3-4 months during the winter rains.
Gene

cyber104

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 06:37:13 AM »
Some flash rust isn't going to hurt a thing. If you're storing it outside or something, that's a different story.

+1 ...What he said
1978 TA 4-Speed W72

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 07:43:15 AM »
Sounds like good news then. Car will be inside. I am not concerned with the flash rust at all, I just didn't know if it would get any worse than that from non use. I would rather put everything back correctly the first time around so that its DONE, and not have to come back and re-do something.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 07:43:15 AM »

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 09:14:58 AM »
If you're going to rebuild the brakes now, I'd go ahead and install new rotors now. Then you'd only have to do the work once. If you put old rotors back on, then you'd have to pull them later, doubling the installation work. They'll probably get some light surface rust, but not enough to stick to the pads. And the rust on the braking surface will come off once you use the brakes.

If you want to prevent rust on the non-braking and non-bearing surfaces of the rotor, like the outer hub and outer edges and vanes, you could paint them.
Steve F.

Captain Obvious

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 01:52:14 PM »
I went digging through my disassembly pics from the front end of my '70. I managed to zoom in on a pic to get this - these are the rotors off of the car, which sat in a garage for 23 years before I took it and started the restoration. They looked 100% serviceable. They were blasted then turned, and are back on the car.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 05:14:01 PM »
Kerry,  I put new rotors kn my car when I redid the fron subframe.  That was before my daughter was born,  13 years ago.... Still haven drove it, they did flash rust but nothing I'm concerned with. I noticed at the dealership most of the vehicles have rusted rotors too.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 05:14:01 PM »
You can help support TAC!