2020-B1-4

Author Topic: 455 Tremec T56 Magnum 6spd install  (Read 481 times)

99tjadams

• Active Forum Member
455 Tremec T56 Magnum 6spd install
« on: January 06, 2020, 03:53:24 PM »
I've been gone from the forum for a while, been busy enjoying driving my 76 T/A instead of wrenching on it.

My last restoration thread is here
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=62732.0

I thought I would start a new thread on installing a T56 behind a 455.

This all started when I was tracking down a small drip/leak from my ST-10 4spd.
Replaced input shaft seal, its not rear main or oil pan yada yada, finally tracked it down to deciding it was a shaft on the front that is a metal to metal seal and apparently it can leak and the only fix is pulling apart and filling hole or add bushing or replacing the case. Shifter is old and worn as well and boy are they not cheap either.
Sounds like a good excuse to install a TKO 5 spd, T56 6 speed , gearvendor OD or something.

The gear vendors is interesting but I had heard they can be glitchy and they are not a cheap option either.
TKO would have been an easier install and cheaper, right now I'm trying to remember why I didn't take that route.

Part of the problem is the last owner who had my car put in 4.10 gears, this really isn't great behind a 4spd.
My rpm down the highway at the moment is ridiculous.

After pouring over forums and gear ratio charts I decided that if I went TKO it would probably result in needing to re gear still. Cost to do that if I pull my rear end out and drive it to the city is $1200 CAD.

I decided to go with a Close ratio T56 Magnum, keep my 4.10 final drive, try to use stock pontiac bellhousing with American Powertrain adapter plate. Trying to keep factory mechanical clutch linkage.

Purchased the T56 many months ago.
I'll post up some pics tonight with my progress so far.

Here is the car being wedged into the garage with my TJ while I wait for the other parts from summit to arrive.

Untitled by brandon adams, on Flickr

76 trans am 455 4spd KRE heads

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
Re: 455 Tremec T56 Magnum 6spd install
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 08:51:05 PM »
Whoa! That's a tight fit! Nice job squeezing it in there.  Must be sweet having a lift though (#Jealous).

I'm gonna cruise through your build thread.
 I've had a couple cars with T56's (Well one has the T56 derived TR6060).  The TR6060 car has a 3.92 rear and is a hoot to drive.  This should be awesome with the torque of the 455 and the 4.10 rear.  Good luck!
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=69897.0

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 11:16:57 PM »
Ooo got a bird and a Jeep. Jeeps are what got me into cars when I was younger. I’ve had 2 TJs, an XJ plus my wife’s JK a few years ago. I like the t56 idea too. Maybe a project for me someday too.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 07:05:42 AM »
That will be a real nice upgrade! It's interesting that Tremec still markets the T56 Magnum as a T56, when it really isn't one. It is actually the aftermarket version of the TR6060 which is found in most all modern American sports cars.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

99tjadams

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 10:23:57 AM »
ryeguy, now you tricked me into doing some more reading, haha.

Using T-56 in the name was intended to let customers know the trans was not some brand-new, unproven design; the name Magnum signified that this new unit was indeed something special – unique from all T-56 transmissions that came before it.

Unfortunately, the naming strategy confused large portions of the market that didn’t know the Magnum was actually more TR-6060 than it was T-56, and that there was little in common application-wise with either OE model. In addition, the T-56 name itself had so much goodwill in the market that many enthusiasts chose to ignore the Magnum part altogether and continued to use the T-56 moniker instead, rather than the other way around.

It seems on the tremec ewbsite they only call it the Magnum, on all the aftermarket sites they refer to it still as T56 Magnum.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 10:58:00 AM »
I'm full of useless information haha. Just ask my wife!  :lol:

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

99tjadams

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 12:22:47 PM »
Here are some more specs on my car, in case anyone else is going to try this.

1974 pontiac 455 block
Poly motor mounts
Solid body bushings set to low height (1/2" I think)
rear leafs 1" lowering block
Dougs headers - full length.
Stock subframe
Stock flywheel
All hotchkis suspension
My clutch right now is a Mcleod Super street pro 75221, this should work with new 6 speed

Right now the headers are so close to the subframe on the pass side I had to dimple them in to get 1/16 clearance between them and the subfame. The universal joint on the driveshaft at the the transmission output looks close to the tub/body, maybe 5/8 or 3/4 inch.
So not much room.

Ordered through Gears to go in Canada (ebay) months ago for cheaper than other suppliers could do, mostly due to shipping to canada:
6-Speed Magnum Close Ratio GM $4312 Canadian Dollars
shipping $90
Tax $528
Total $4930CAD ($3785USD)

Ordered through summit: I've obviously not confirmed yet if all this is correct yet.
Also my car is street only, not racing, so I am not concerned about SFI certified or scatter shields, if I was I would be going with a quicktime bellhousing$$ instead of adapter.

AWR-APGM10001GMAGNUM ADAPTER KIT American powertrain Maglink APGM-10001G $396.99
(cheaper at summit)     This is the only adapter I found for a magnum to BW ST-10 bellhousing and I looked for a long time. Seems like there are others but they are for a LT1 / LS1 6 speed which may be different and doesn't have the cutouts.(tickperformance)( mcleod 8207)
This may also have been an option:
http://cart.hanlonmotorsports.com/hms-muncie-mag-adaptor-plate-t56
SKU: HMS-8-207M
Manufacturer part number: HMS-8-207M

AWR-XFGM10103MX- American Powertrain FACTOR CROSS MEMBER $365.99 (cheaper at A.Powertain)
I like the looks of this one more than the silversport one, I didn't want to try to modify my stock one.

OER-3993851CLUTCH FORK/BELLHOUSING BOOT $6.99

PTP-6-1608-BLBLACK TRANSMISSION MOUNT $45.57 (POLY)
Energy suspension equivilant apparently is taller and this one is factory height.
Some people (including tremec) say that a rubber mount is better and reduces vibes.
Some people prefer poly, some say use poly if your engine mounts are rubber, some say use rubber if your engine mounts are poly. I chose to get this because I'm in canada and shipping is costly, I can probably easily get a rubber OEM one at a local store for cheap if this one doesn't work out well.

SDH-2-3-6041XSLIP YOKE ASSEMBLY $52.99
with driveshaft shipping costs ect I will be driving my stock driveshaft an hour away to have modified.
I learned that our cars use a 3R size u joint. wtf
u-joint options for us come in 1310 (smallest) 1330 (medium) 1350 (strongest)
3R is between 1310 and 1330 in size
T56 output shafts come in 1310,1330,1350 not 3R
I don't know why but I read several comments saying not to use an adapter u.joint 1330-3R
I will probably have the stock driveshaft shortened and a 1330 end welded on to the trans end.
we will see.
great website https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/frequently_asked_questions.html

SUM-72618-WHISHIFTER KNOB 6 SPD SIDE BUTTON $56.99
I got this to try to use as my reverse solonoid switch.
The reverse soloniod prevents from accidentally shifting to reverse.
Some people don't wire up anything and just strong arm it, which apparently doesn't cause any damage.
Some people just wire the solonoid to the brake lights so they can only shift to reverse if hitting brakes.
Some use an electronic module that senses speed from the VSS connector (VSS pigtail needed.)
Some wire reverse sol. up to a switch, like a shifter ball, I am going this route to try to use it as theft prevention.

I didn't order a shifter arm because I thought I could use my stock shifter arm but the bolt hole spacing on the magnum is about .88" and my stock hurst one is 1". So I will be buying one later when I see where the shifter ends up.

I had these already but if you do not, look into these.
ARP-190-2201PONTIAC PRESSURE PLATE BOLTKIT $13.99
ARP-290-2802FLYWHEEL BOLT KIT $31.99

Amazon order:
Muzzys T56 Manual Transmission Wire Harness Connector Pigtail Set:
Back Up Lamp, Reverse Lockout Solenoid, VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor for LS1, LT1
hopefully these work, cheapest option.
VSS is only needed if you are changing speedometer or are using an electronic module for the reverse lockout situation.

Still have to order:
mechanical speedometer cable adapter plus clips , plus red gear tooth. probably from gears to go ebay.
Pilot bushing / bearing, this I will discuss later.

Here are other notes I have made during my research on the forums, newbs might find it useful. Some is obviously up for debate.

TKO 500  is same as 600 but better geared for 3.08 rear end
TKO 600 works well with 3.55-4.10 rear gears 0.8 O/D for race, 0.64 O/D for street.

a new St-10 cast case is $300CAD
rebuild a ST-10 in my town is $600CAD parts plus $400 labour.
bloody hurst comp plus shifter is $600, ouch.

Going with a Gear vendors OD 2800USD would still mean a new hurst shifter and rebuild on my ST-10.
Launch ratio with gear vendors is best with 3.55 or 3.73

cruise speed rpm needs to be higher than distributor timing advance is fully in.

Rear gears change is $1134CAD incl. labour and tax
3.42 is good
3.23 is ok
3.08 is a dog

Generally, installed, in CAD a TKO600 5spd is 5-6 grand, a Magnum 6spd is 7-8 grand.

T56 Magnum GM
2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 .80 .63
2.97 2.10 1.46 1.00 .80 .63

TKO500 is 500ftlb and wide ratio
3.27 1.98 1.34 1.00 .68

TKO600 is 600ftlb and close ratio
2.87 1.89 1.28 1.00 0.64/or/.82

.64 O/D best with 3.73
.82 O/D best with 3.23

T5 is "garbage for high torque" (quote from someone else not me:)

Richmond transmissions
4+1 has 1:1 final drive
same as doug nash 4+1
Richmond 5 speed has O/D

Look into the 9-11 rule for first gear final drive ratio (maybe 13 for drag racing)
Also known as launch ratio or starting line ratio
10 seems perfect, 12 is "useless around town and just makes noise" haha, can't remember who said that.

right now my ST-10 4spd has
2.43 1.61 1.23 1.00
with a rear end that's 4.10 that's a launch ratio of 9.96:1
with a rear end that's 3.23 that's a launch ratio of 7.84
with a 4.10 rear and TKO600 = 11.76
with a Mag w 2.97 = 12.17
with a Mag w 2.66 = 10.9

Good vendors for new transmissions, all offer full kits to help install.
American powertrain
Hurst drivelines
Silversport Transmissions
I got quotes from A.powertrain and silversport, they included EVERYTHING. Too much in my case.
They both seem like great companies and if I lived in the states I would have gone directly through them.
I think I have picked a more difficult path sourcing my parts but I know I have saved a few bucks. We will see if it was worth it.

A TKO will bolt right up to a stock bellhousing
To install a T56 Magnum you need either an adapter plate or an aftermarket bellhousing. (quicktime)
Quicktime has always made their bellhousings them to accept a new hydraulic clutch setup.
This is mounting some crap to the firewall and paying another $500
I am happy with my mechanical linkage z bar setup.
Quicktime apparently is making bellhousings now to accept the pivot ball so you can use stock mechanical linkage but I have yet to see a pic of this change on their pontiac one, and did never call them to confirm.
I may be going this route if this adapter plate doesn't work out.
part # RM-8072 for hyd clutch
part # RM-8072PB for manual clutch.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:35:36 PM by 99tjadams »

99tjadams

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 01:58:00 PM »
First step is pulling battery connection because the starter is coming off among other things.
Then I pulled the exhaust right out, without a hoist this would be infuriating to get the right angle, even with a hoist I had to unload the rear suspension and raise the car high up.

Next measure up the present/ before driveline angles
I used a crappy magnetic gauge

Transmission by brandon adams, on Flickr

Then I had to lower the rear of my car to test fit the jeep in the garage, then realized I should take more measurements just in case.
I used the tremec app for these. pulled driveshaft out and measured output shaft angle, re installed driveshaft and measured driveshaft angle, pulled driveshaft and measured pinion yoke angle.

Then I took some more pics of everything and measured up distances from DS to tub.
This might come in handy when doing a rough test fit and cutting up the floor.

Pull off speedo cable
Pull out shifter:
disconnected the rods from the case by pulling those stupid clips out.
remove the bolts from shifter housing, take pics of all this,  don't forget the one recessed way up in the shifter that is a real PITA. Then the shifter and linkage should all pull out as one piece.
Note - I don't have a center console to remove.

99tjadams

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 03:30:35 PM »
My Dougs header clearance, I know I damaged the nice coating, still learning as I go.
This tight fit means my engine angle can't change much.

More measurements just in case

5/8 socket to remove old trans rubber mount.

I pulled the mount out and let the tranny rest on the crossmember
I blocked the motor up under the oil pan with wood, hoping it wont hurt the oil pan.

unbolted and removed the crossmember

magnetic pickup tool comes in handy.

I learned from having this tranny out a couple times that it is a good investment to get a set of long 3/8 drive extensions, this one is 18" I think.
I'm also lucky enough to have a swivel socket set which I much prefer over a swivel adapter, shorter and easier to line up with bolt head. 5/8 I think

I am also in the habit of taking pics as I go
I also try to put bolts back in where they came from or I bag them and label, they can add up quick.

Aluminum pry bar came in very handy, after unbolting I gently pry the case from the bellhousing until it is seperated 1/4". Oil leak made things sticky.

Trans jack is in the mail, so I just lowere the hoist a bit and hand bombed the thing out of there.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 03:30:35 PM »

99tjadams

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 04:13:40 PM »
The next step should have been to remove the starter, I would have saved myself from some balancing acts.
When you do this look for the shims between starter and engine block and make note of what's there or don't lose them. I am planning on using same stock / (already resurfaced) flywheel, but I will have to remember to recheck my starter pinion?? gap. I changed the starter a few months ago and had to set the gap with the trans in place, what a PITA, it has been working good but I will re check the starter teeth to flywheel gap again before the new trans goes in.

pic of back of bellhousing

Measuring distance from bellhousing face to face of pilot bushing.
I got 5 13/16

Double checking with another method, same result.

Make note of ground cable, and connector for wiring harness on the next bolt up.

Unbolt bellhousing with wrenches and ratchet extensions
My trans was out not long ago, if yours is still stock Id imagine you would spray all these a few hours before with moovit or penetrant.

Unbolt clutch, realize it weighs a lot, almost drop it.

The bushing in there now is MCL 8-1380-7    0.592 id, 1.380 od    0.435width

Very useful pic provided by @MNbob (hope you don't mind me using it)
41603164190_8d694def03_c by brandon adams, on Flickr

Old ST-10 pilot shaft is an inch, you can see I had it fully recessed into the old pilot bushing.
Possibly too far.

Shaft length of old ST-10 is 6 11/16 from face

Magnum shaft length is 6.50" from face

Bellhousing is about 6.25" deep/long
This tells me that the ST-10 sat 0.875 into the bushing.
T56 shaft is 0.1875 shorter than the ST-10 shaft
Add the 0.5" adapter plate is 0.6875 difference
subtract 0.6875 from 0.875
the Magnum input shaft will sit 0.1875 (3/16") into the existing bushing.

According to this
https://www.centerforce.com/files/i13gm013.pdf
This isn't sufficient. Looks like 1/4" contact minumum.

The extended bushing coming with the Maglink kit is probably about an inch (1.09) diameter and an inch thick made for a chevy.
If I had ordered from Silversport or American powertrain they would have included an extended bushing.

I also have this bushing coming from summit, but don't know if it will work on the smallest crank hole.
Or if it is long enough of an extension (width)
Also it could be the same dimension of the one coming with the adapter.
Allstar Performance
Manufacturer's Part Number:ALL26112
Outer Diameter (in):1.094 in.
Inside Diameter (in):0.594 in.
Width (in):1.000
T56 pilot shaft needs 0.60 id
I have access to a machine shop and could increase the id of this if need be.

The next option would be to get an extended pilot bushing for the middle hole (1.380 od)
Autogear service@autogear.net 1-800-634-3001
or
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/pilot-bushings/
I was told Mcleod has extended bushings / also advance adapters, but I have looked all over their sites with not much luck.

It looks like this would give me 0.47 extra, or just over 5/8 into the bushing.
extended (3) .592/.593 1.3782/1.3877 (4) 0.890 0-127-016

Third option
The outer race on the crank is 1.70" (biggest hole)
I have yet to read anywhere if I can have a custom bushing made up to use here and if it is better than an extended bushing.
1.70 od 0.60 id
Does anyone know?

This is what @MNbob was supplied with by american powertrain  but he used a quicktime bellhousing and not an adapter.
AWR-PBGM-10001

Pilot Bushing Type:Solid
Pilot Bushing Material:Steel
Outer Diameter (in):1.090 in. (same as extended bushing I ordered)
Inside Diameter (in):0.600 in. (proper fit for T56)
Width (in):0.710 in. (Extended one I ordered is 1.00")

He states the inner step (smallest hole in crank) is " about 1.015", a difference of .08"
This could pose a problem trying to use the supplied bushing or the one I ordered.
Even if I get it turned down on a lathe, 1" might not be long enough. Story of my life:)

Then MNbob changed to a Timkin 7109 similar to what I already have.
Outer Diameter (in):1.378 in.
Inside Diameter (in):0.590 in.
Width (in):0.354 in.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:59:15 PM by 99tjadams »

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 07:47:11 PM »
Whoa! Awesome!  A couple days ago I thought you were getting started on a Trans upgrade. Now it looks like you'll be done before the weekend!
Thanks for taking the time to share all of your research. Anyone considering a similar install will have hit the jackpot when find this thread while researching a 'Magnum' trans install.  (T56 vs. Magnum vs TR6060 being one of the many things I learned today!).

I hope you don't mind but...If I may...
One of the things that really had me concerned when I did my LS Swap, and something that may apply here is "How do I figure how long my driveshaft will need to be?"

I found this document to be the most helpful in measuring for a custom driveshaft in my particular scenario (4L60E going into an '81 TA):

IMG_3488 (1) by Tom Sherer, on Flickr

Please let me know if the method above is useless or incorrect in the context of your manual trans swap.   I would not be offended and will update the post to remove the link.  No problem.  As I was reading this great write up it just reminded me of those concerns I had during my project. So I thought I'd share this 'how to measure' info here.

Great job!
-Tom
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 07:48:49 PM by TATurbo »
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am

99tjadams

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 10:24:29 AM »
Hey, thanks for the photo. I will need a sheet like that to fill out later when I take my driveshaft in to be shortened. The more info here the better.

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 05:06:33 PM »
Everything about my install is correct above, except that I used the original bell housing, not a Quicktime.  You are perfectly fine using my pic above.  I remember taking all of those same measurement to make sure the pilot shaft would fit in the bearing.

Good luck with your install!
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; modified Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

99tjadams

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 05:38:01 PM »
I managed to get a bit more work done.
New trans jack arrived and I used the hoist to heave the new trans onto it.
Adjusted the trans jack to approx the same angle that my engine was at before dissassembly.
Got the new trans up there to see how it would fit.
Between eyeballing it and using measurements from the new trans I started drawing out where to start cutting.

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 05:38:01 PM »

2020-B1-8

99tjadams

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 05:50:11 PM »
I cut away in chunks with an angle grinder zip blade until I had the input shaft close to the pilot bearing.
Used a ball peen to clearance the front of the trans a bit.

Here is where I am running into problems.
Right now the engine is sloped down a few degrees, and the header is contacting the front crossmember.

With the trans at approx the same angle as pre dissassembly, the front shifter plate/location is hitting the tub, so this is as far as it will go.
Tail end is supposed to be an inch higher to maintain old geometry.

I don't yet know all my angles, and I don't have the adapter plate or crossmember yet. Summit says Feb 20!!! then two weeks shipping.

Before I cut away any more floor I will wait for the other parts to arrive and do a proper mock up.

One of the reasons my old trans sat so high ( 1 degree up I think) was that my headers were touching the front engine crossmember. I'm thinking I will either have to cut away more floor and hammer in the front of the tunnel more. Or I try to shim under my engine mount up front and raise the engine to get that header spaced away a hair, so that the engine and trans angle can point down 2-3 degrees instead of up 1 degree.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 05:54:23 PM by 99tjadams »

Bobby G

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 08:35:45 AM »
Any updates with the car?

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 08:51:49 PM »
Still waiting for Jegs?!
When I read these first two sentences...
"I cut away in chunks with an angle grinder zip blade until I had the input shaft close to the pilot bearing.
  Used a ball peen to clearance the front of the trans a bit."

I honestly thought...'WTF!?...This guy must be an idiot using an angle grinder to grind down the input shaft so it fits in the pilot bearing and banging on the front of his trans case with a ball peen hammer!?" 

After scrolling down to see the pics I realized you were cutting away and hammering the sheet metal. PHEW!  LOL.  I'm Definitely no Trans expert, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't bang on the trans with a hammer or use a grinder for to adjust clearances on the pilot bearing.   Turns out I'm the idiot for even thinking someone like you, taking on a project like this would do something like that!

Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 08:51:49 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3