Author Topic: Replacement Seats for 81 Trans Am  (Read 104 times)

In Relentless Pursuit

• Active Forum Member
  • EAST BOUND & DOWN !!!
Replacement Seats for 81 Trans Am
« on: December 01, 2019, 06:19:03 PM »
I need two seats for my son’s 81 Trans Am ..The Backs are broke down & The Driver Side tracks rusted when you sit in them you literally touch the floor pan ..I’m looking for Black Vinyl seats ..Where online would you all suggest looking ..He’s paying for this his choice ..Any help be Greatly appreciated
1981 Trans Am / T Top / 400/ TH 350

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
      • http://www.transamcountry.com
Re: Replacement Seats for 81 Trans Am
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 09:13:30 PM »
My 79 has standard interior, and I plan to go with Procar Rally Smoothback Series 1000S Seats 80-1000-51RS since they have a similar pattern.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Replacement Seats for 81 Trans Am
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 08:16:28 AM »
Seat tracks used to be hard to find, but I think they are a bit easier to come by now if that's the problem. There are springs in the bottom of the seat that go bad. Taking a seat apart for a rebuild is pretty easy, replacement seat covers and new foam and springs will turn them back into something that's as good as the 1970's. Entire seats are also out there but shipping can be a bit of a pain and they most likely need a redo. The new seat covers are an advanced do it yourself project, but all in all not that bad of a job and you will need to buy a pair of hog ring plyers for about $20. It will be a bit cheaper to rehab what you have over buying new seats. Procar has a couple of different seat types and are about the most economical out there, I think they have tracks but im not sure they are listed for these cars. So some fabrication may be involved in getting them to fit. Another advantage of the Procar is if they recline, and some have side bolsters for a tighter fit. If youre adventurous there have been some guys that have sourced late model seats with power, I think one guy used some from a newer gto, and another out of Z car. But there is more fab work to make these go in.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter