Author Topic: Holly street dominator, will it work with shaker on olds powered chicken?  (Read 235 times)

james.dowling99@yahoo.com

• Active Forum Member
Hello trans am country. Will a holly street dominator manifold for a small block olds with a qjet work with the shaker on a 79 ta? 403 originally, now a 350 olds powered car. I Know the edlebrock performer 350 will work, I got a deal on a holly dont want to buy it until I'm sure there are no clearance issues.
Thanks in advance.
Jim

prostreet64

• Active Forum Member
Re: Holly street dominator, will it work with shaker on olds powered chicken?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 08:13:41 PM »
I think the HSD is the same height as the factory cast iron intake and the Performer so in theory it should work with the q-jet and shaker. However, it is a single plane intake and as such it will make power at a higher rpm than the factory or Performer dual plane intakes. Conversely it will not make as much low end hp and torque as the others. I assume you may already know this and are building a motor to take advantage of the HSD? The Olds 350 is a strong block and will tolerate higher rpm than the 403 that you are replacing, but the bottom end and the valve train will still need to be built to handle those extra revs.
1979 T/A with Olds 403, 4A heads (owner ported), RPM intake, Q-jet (by Cliff R.), th350, 3.73 posi. Mostly original with full interior and stock suspension, 3650 lbs. race weight. Best 1/4 mile 12.01 @ 111.14

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 09:49:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice.
The motor was rebuilt for another car. (75 88 conv)
It is a 75 350 with smog heads. (#8)
30 over, flat to pistons, mild cam.
Carb is jetted.
I will be installing # 5 heads that are being done now. I saw the manifold for sale on classicoldsmobile.com, it was never used, for $150. I think someone beat me to it anyway.
The original 403 siezed and this motor was sitting g on a stand so in it went. I just want to beef it up a little more.

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 07:01:56 PM »
NO !!! The street dominator is 1.5 inches taller than stock.  You will need to run a 400 air cleaner/ drop base and offset it.  We have one.  Plus we wacked 1/2 off the manifold at the machine shop.  So only one inch taller. 

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 11:18:06 PM »
Ok thanks for the insight. Olds 350 performer will work.
I had one on there but it would not seal up as if it where warped or defective.  Had a vacuum leak  by middle cylinders. So the stock one went back on an the used Edelbrock went to scrapper.
That manifold was a freebie I pulled of a 74 delta 88 conv. parts car.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 11:18:06 PM »

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 02:06:49 PM »
Picked up a new unused in wrapper performer on classicoldmobiles.com, problem solved thanks for responses . Hope you all enjoyed Thanksgiving

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 02:06:49 PM »
You can help support TAC!