2020-B2-3

Author Topic: Best 255/60R15  (Read 883 times)

Mace1971

• Active Forum Member
Best 255/60R15
« on: July 21, 2019, 08:19:36 PM »
Looking for recommendations on the best 255/60R15 tires. I currently have BF Goodrich Radial TAs and, while I like their looks, I cant say I’m a fan of either their traction or handling. This will be strictly for street use but I have lots of twisties in my area and would like tires that would be more suitable. I see that Cooper has its Cobras and MT has the RT Street SS. I do like Cooper’s RWL look but the MTs should be higher performance but don’t look to be really all that good for street use in the rain. Anyone got experience with these or another suggestion for 15” rims?
1971 T/A 455 HO.

"Some people are like a Slinky.  Not good for much but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down some stairs."

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Best 255/60R15
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 09:02:13 PM »
I've used BFG's for years and still do. When buying some new tires a couple months ago, I decided to try the Cobras, and save about $200. Right away, I didn't like them. They didn't balance well, and the tread width was less wide than the BFG of the same 255-60 size. So, I took them back and got more Radial TA's. Although 2 of those wouldn't balance out good either, and I had to get 2 more, which were good. So, finally I'm satisfied with these tires. It seems getting good 15" rwl tires that aren't out of round has been a challenge for me lately. 

I haven't tried MT's.

There's also Mastercraft Avenger GT tires, which might be pretty good. I haven't had new ones, but I had some old used ones from a car I bought, and they ran good considering. And costs less of course.

But, I like the BFG Radial TA name best.
Steve F.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 09:18:50 PM »
BFG are right up there for retro RWL tyres, but handling hasn't kept up with the times even for that size. The tread pattern and compound has changed a few times over the years, it's due again. Apart from a revised tread they need an impregnated steel ring in the sidewalls that effectively convert them to characteristics of a 17-18 inch rim and short sidewall. Ok made that up but surely there's options to upgrade but appear retro.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:20:22 PM by Aus78Formula »

Mace1971

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 10:02:17 PM »
Thanks guys. I did not know the BFG had a compound change. Any idea when this happened?  My tires are probably 5-6 years old, be nice to know if they are the newer compound. Also, just found the Goodyear Eagle GT and GT Radials are available in this size from Kelsey Tire.  They even have Gatorbacks but only in 225/60.  Anyone heard anything about these except for their pretty outlandish prices? ($405 and $450 per tire)
1971 T/A 455 HO.

"Some people are like a Slinky.  Not good for much but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down some stairs."

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 10:11:47 PM »
I'm talking way back around 98 when they also changed tread. I had a mismatched set on a car and was told it wasn't just a tread change. Couldn't confirm anything since. I bought another set in 2005 and they appeared the same.

djustice

• Active Forum Member
      • ACCK
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 03:33:04 AM »
I had BF Goodrich Radial TA tires (still got them on the front) they last long, 500 Treadwear rating. But have little traction, especially in damp or rainy weather, i have gotten stuck at trafficligths on flat ground, car only spins, i had to let go of brake and creep on converter til i had about 10 mph before i even could think about touching the gas. and i could only maintain speed going uphill, i could not accelerate, that would lead to wheelspin.

I changed over to a budget brand with 400 treadwear and about 1/6 the price, these tires got better traction, but the dont look 1/2 as good as the BFG's.
1973 Firebird formula 400 W/YC code 455 (73 casting)
6x-8 heads, hyperfuel efi gastank, scorpion 1.5 Roller rockers, holley sniper efi, edelbrock performer inntake, Headman 28150 headers 1 3/4" primary, Pypes SGF11R exhaust, cam unknown, alu radiator w/twin 12" fans. Yukon duragrip posi w/3.42 gears.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 11:35:45 AM »
If you want all around performance you should really look into 17's or 18's since that opens the door to modern performance tires, more so 18's though if you wish to stay near the stock wheel diameter of 27.4 inches.  Since handling seems to be a priority I'd highly consider it, plenty of good summer tires that're rain friendly or even a modern all/no season would be a big improvement.  In addition to better compounds and treads you'll also be reducing sidewall rolling considerably, really short of cost or maintaining originality it doesn't make sense not to.

Also in keeping with the stock 27.4" diameter even on an 18" wheel you'll still have a good amount of sidewall, so ride comfort shouldn't take much if any a hit.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 11:37:40 AM by Casey »

79fargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 09:32:28 PM »
If you want brown lettering go with bf Goodrich...the new tire lettering will not stay white!  That's why I go with MasterCraft
avenger and also they are bigger white letters.

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 07:28:04 AM »
I’m a new member here and one of things I thought to share when signing up is my experience looking to replace the “will-pop” GT Qualifiers that were on the car when I bought it. I had hoped to wait until after paint was done but I had one on the front that looked to bad to continue.  I too was struggling to find an option for replacing them. Coopers>>>> no way they are junk across the board. My cousin try’s not to sell them at his shop anymore if possible. Master craft and cheap tires are S and T rated and hard as the ones on my Big Wheel years ago. I took a chance on a tire brand called Vitoria. They are a little cheaper than the Coopers and V rated with a 400 tread wear rating.  Nice tread pattern and they are RWL.  The model is Galaxy GT R.  I got two 255-60s for the front and two 275-60s for the rear.  The mounted up easily, balanced well and ran pretty true on the 40 yo wheels.  They ride real nice and stick well even in the rain.  Sure it’s a Chinese tire but there’s no telling where the Mastercrafts and other cheap ones are made either. It has a tread pattern similar the the old Dunlop’s. A user on a Corvette forum raves about them. So I went for them.  I ordered them from Performance Plus tire and though it took a couple days to get the order shipped the exchange was ok.

Here is a link

https://www.performanceplustire.com/tires-for-sale/vitour-tires/galaxy-r1-5/ty:Tire:ts:25560-15/
JT
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:33:07 AM by RamblerRacer »

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 07:49:11 AM »
Thanks for the tip. It's always good to have alternatives. Unusual placement of the lettering, not being equally spaced across from each other, but not too bad. They could always be turned to the blackwall side if desired.
Steve F.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 08:01:55 AM »
If you want brown lettering go with bf Goodrich...the new tire lettering will not stay white!  That's why I go with MasterCraft
avenger and also they are bigger white letters.

I've bought many sets for Radial TA's over the years without a problem with the letters....until this year. So, that was a first for me, and now could see what others have complained about. The letters were off-white...kind of yellowish, beige, like antique white, and no amount of cleaning would make them truly white. So, I called BFG, and they said to take them to an authorized BFG dealer for inspection, and they gave me a case number. So, I took them to the dealer with the case number. He agreed that the letters were defective and replaced them with a new set. Fortunately the letters on the new set are white. It is an inconvenience, but if you have that problem, at least they will replace the tires if you ask. 
Steve F.

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 11:16:44 AM »
thanks for the info, I'm a little puzzled about the 400 TW and a V speed ratting, I remember when Cooper Cobras were 320, although I fully understand TW ratings are VERY arbitrary and unregulated with no set standard of testing, unless they are trying to make it seem as it is not only a performance tire but also a long wearing tire for marketing purpose.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 05:38:46 AM »
Thanks for the tip. It's always good to have alternatives. Unusual placement of the lettering, not being equally spaced across from each other, but not too bad. They could always be turned to the blackwall side if desired.

I thought the same thing looking at the pictures but planned on mounting the letters in anyway. I don’t believe the letters were skewed like what appears in the picture.  I have a spare set op 15x8 snowflakes I’m going to restore and may put them on with the rwl out.h

timfarn

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 04:12:40 PM »
With the WS6 package and using it...when I replaced the original Goodyear Polysteel 225s with 255/60R15, I first tried Goodyear Eagle ST.   I replaced two sets quickly that developed rubber cracking around the rim.  After the second set developed cracks, the tire dealer put me in BF Goodrich Euro Radial TA.  These were an H rated tire - problem solved.  30 years later, not available, but  knew I needed H or better tires.  I ended up with Nankang SP-7 which is designed for SUV use.  Traction is excellent and handling is good.  They are a 102H tire, blackwall only. I will have to check the Vitour out, did not see it when searching.   

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 11:40:56 AM »
I considered the Nankangs too but finally picked the Vitours, also a Chinese tire but whatever they seem to work. There was a comment above about the lettering looking skewed, but I don't think it really is. Here is a pic. I had them off yesterday doing some grinding on the back of the car.

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 11:40:56 AM »

2020-B1-8

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 02:35:51 PM »
where are you buying the Galaxy R1s, I can't seem to find them other than one online place in California.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 07:31:07 AM »
That is where I purchased them from. It took a couple of days for them to process the order and ship.  It says that somewhere on their site, but who reads that right?  I was a little frustrated that I was not getting a ship notice and tracking number. Finally someone said look at the terms after calling a couple of times, and then they shipped.  I believe they shipped out of TN though.  After that I got them in a couple of days. It’s not like buying from tire rack, but I was overall pleased with the purchase. I like the tire a lot, but compared to what came off the car, anything would be good.   Turn in is good and the rear does not feel as twitchy.  I recommend them to anyone looking for 15 inch tires for our cars.

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 07:31:07 AM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3