Author Topic: 1979 TA Painting Time  (Read 1260 times)

RamblerRacer

  • Active Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
Re: 1979 TA Painting Time
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2020, 07:09:59 PM »
Had a bunch of running around to do today but I at least got the hood primed.

I got after the last little bit of primer left on it, and really had a lot of work to get rid of the rust.
I was surprised to see the outline of the bird decal etched into the hood like what was mentioned above.

After hitting it hard with the DA, I used the Evaporust to treat the surface rust.
The instructions suggest to use paper towels to help keep the liquid on the area to be treated, and it really worked
After that I hit it again with the DA and some metal prep and then shot it with three coats of the epoxy primer.

Some pics of from today.













JT

RamblerRacer

  • Active Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
Re: 1979 TA Painting Time
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2020, 07:15:26 PM »
Here is where the car is at with panel fit and whatnot >>> lots of work to  be done here.
There is way too many shims at the top of the fender.
Once I get the fenders prepped I'll work on the alignment



Here is a picture of the inner air cleaner assembly I made to mount the shaker scoop on the throttle body



JT

Nexus

  • Oracle Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1062
Re: 1979 TA Painting Time
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2020, 11:22:46 PM »
I like the air cleaner modification you did!!!
Hadn't thought about attaching it in that manner before!!
Body work is coming along nicely too!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(19 years and counting but still have her)

RamblerRacer

  • Active Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
Re: 1979 TA Painting Time
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2020, 08:13:06 PM »
Here are some pictures from the weekend and last night.
I got the DS fender stripped and true to form it had it had a ton of very fine rust and pitting.
There was a tiny hole that looked like it had been drilled, without any rust around or behind the panel >>> weird.
I welded it up and then continued with the metal prep.
I used the Evaporust again and stuck the soaked paper towel over the rusty areas letting them sit for an hour or so.







All cleaned up


The next day I primed the nose cover
Spraying the adhesion promoter is a pain. It's very thin and even with an HVLP gun it creates a fog of overspray.
I mixed in some flex agent in with the primer, and I can really see the difference in the coating and the way it feels on the flexible nose cover.



Last night I started sanding down to the scratches and cracks in the nose and I'm optimistic on how it will turn out.



JT


RamblerRacer

  • Active Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
Re: 1979 TA Painting Time
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2020, 08:21:46 PM »
In the pictures a couple post up you can see how bad the fender installation is.
I took a ton of shim out of the upper mounting point and put it in down at the bottom and it really corrected the fit.
I'll get after it more after the new doors on

Here is a picture of the bars I made to stiffen the subframe.
There are pads welded to the front of the subframe and the back of the bars attach to the cowl.
The bars have a large vertical plate and behind the cowl is another large plate to distribute the stress



JT

Re: 1979 TA Painting Time
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2020, 08:21:46 PM »

RamblerRacer

  • Active Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
Re: 1979 TA Painting Time
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2020, 06:46:14 PM »
Here is what is on deck for tomorrow. Snow is on the way so cars will be stacked up in the other two bays in my cousins shop. Mine is under another in his third bay so I decided to start digging into the trunk and rear of the car with it on the ground.

I got the spoilers off and the lights too. There are a few holes to fill due to going to the older style spoiler ends.









The trunk lid is way better than the one I got from the red car, even though I wasted a ton of time and a bit of material to fix it up, I'll be sticking with this one.

JT

RamblerRacer

  • Active Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
Re: 1979 TA Painting Time
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2020, 07:49:34 PM »
Made some great progress yesterday, but killed my little Ryobi angle drill in the process.
I should have been using the electric drill instead of overworking the battery powered tool
It is (was) so much easier to control due to the lower speed, but it owes me nothing having been abused for two years doing my addition 12 years ago, and re-doing the paint on the AMC and so many other little grinding jobs.

I got both quarters and the trunk stripped to the point it just needs a clean-up with the DA, and prepped the rear bumper. It will need the same plastic bumper repair treatment the front one got.

One thing I found is the right side must have been stripped to bare metal, while the trunk and left quarter had the original blue paint under the other two layers. It had the haze of rust like the roof hood and LH fender.

The LH hinge has an issue too, in that it has bolts that almost secure it rather than being welded like the RH one. Tightening it just skewed the trunk to the point it would close so that will have to be re-welded. I'll take care of that when I take the trunk off to prep the underside.










JT

Re: 1979 TA Painting Time
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2020, 07:49:34 PM »
You can help support TAC!