2020-B1-9

Author Topic: 1979 TA Painting Time  (Read 5772 times)

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
Re: 1979 TA Painting Time
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2020, 07:09:59 PM »
Had a bunch of running around to do today but I at least got the hood primed.

I got after the last little bit of primer left on it, and really had a lot of work to get rid of the rust.
I was surprised to see the outline of the bird decal etched into the hood like what was mentioned above.

After hitting it hard with the DA, I used the Evaporust to treat the surface rust.
The instructions suggest to use paper towels to help keep the liquid on the area to be treated, and it really worked
After that I hit it again with the DA and some metal prep and then shot it with three coats of the epoxy primer.

Some pics of from today.

JT

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2020, 07:15:26 PM »
Here is where the car is at with panel fit and whatnot >>> lots of work to  be done here.
There is way too many shims at the top of the fender.
Once I get the fenders prepped I'll work on the alignment

Here is a picture of the inner air cleaner assembly I made to mount the shaker scoop on the throttle body

JT

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2020, 11:22:46 PM »
I like the air cleaner modification you did!!!
Hadn't thought about attaching it in that manner before!!
Body work is coming along nicely too!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(19 years and counting but still have her)

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2020, 08:13:06 PM »
Here are some pictures from the weekend and last night.
I got the DS fender stripped and true to form it had it had a ton of very fine rust and pitting.
There was a tiny hole that looked like it had been drilled, without any rust around or behind the panel >>> weird.
I welded it up and then continued with the metal prep.
I used the Evaporust again and stuck the soaked paper towel over the rusty areas letting them sit for an hour or so.

All cleaned up

The next day I primed the nose cover
Spraying the adhesion promoter is a pain. It's very thin and even with an HVLP gun it creates a fog of overspray.
I mixed in some flex agent in with the primer, and I can really see the difference in the coating and the way it feels on the flexible nose cover.

Last night I started sanding down to the scratches and cracks in the nose and I'm optimistic on how it will turn out.

JT

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2020, 08:21:46 PM »
In the pictures a couple post up you can see how bad the fender installation is.
I took a ton of shim out of the upper mounting point and put it in down at the bottom and it really corrected the fit.
I'll get after it more after the new doors on

Here is a picture of the bars I made to stiffen the subframe.
There are pads welded to the front of the subframe and the back of the bars attach to the cowl.
The bars have a large vertical plate and behind the cowl is another large plate to distribute the stress

JT

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2020, 06:46:14 PM »
Here is what is on deck for tomorrow. Snow is on the way so cars will be stacked up in the other two bays in my cousins shop. Mine is under another in his third bay so I decided to start digging into the trunk and rear of the car with it on the ground.

I got the spoilers off and the lights too. There are a few holes to fill due to going to the older style spoiler ends.

The trunk lid is way better than the one I got from the red car, even though I wasted a ton of time and a bit of material to fix it up, I'll be sticking with this one.

JT

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2020, 07:49:34 PM »
Made some great progress yesterday, but killed my little Ryobi angle drill in the process.
I should have been using the electric drill instead of overworking the battery powered tool
It is (was) so much easier to control due to the lower speed, but it owes me nothing having been abused for two years doing my addition 12 years ago, and re-doing the paint on the AMC and so many other little grinding jobs.

I got both quarters and the trunk stripped to the point it just needs a clean-up with the DA, and prepped the rear bumper. It will need the same plastic bumper repair treatment the front one got.

One thing I found is the right side must have been stripped to bare metal, while the trunk and left quarter had the original blue paint under the other two layers. It had the haze of rust like the roof hood and LH fender.

The LH hinge has an issue too, in that it has bolts that almost secure it rather than being welded like the RH one. Tightening it just skewed the trunk to the point it would close so that will have to be re-welded. I'll take care of that when I take the trunk off to prep the underside.

JT

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2020, 01:59:01 PM »
You've been busy

Nice work!!

The sheet metal doesn't look too bad from here!

that's a bonus
Charlie

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2020, 07:24:51 PM »
Thanks Charlie

The only real issue is the lower quarters and unfortunately the drop panels which are stupid expensive to replace.
As I said before the areas around the glass is mint and that was a big concern of mine going in.

I got the hood off and started prepping the underside of it. I had stripped the top and treated the surface rust a few weeks ago.  As you can imagine stripping the underside is a pain with all the curves and details.

I used my drill and grinding disks and the air grinders my cousin has since I killed my angle drill last week. There was a fair amount of surface rust under the paint on the underside of the hood, just like the top. The paint looked fine but the rust was there. In the tight recesses where the grinder disk would not fit into; I used paint stripper to finish up.

I spent from 10 to 6 today stripping it, and that was enough. I had to go to Scotland for some engineering meetings and did not get to work on the car this week. I plan to address the surface rust and hit it with the DA this week, and then hopefully get the trunk stripped top and bottom and get both in epoxy prime next week.

JT

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2020, 08:55:12 PM »
Hey everyone

I got the trunk prepped this weekend as well as the filler panel I got from the donor car
It was in better shape even though it had more rust in the underside of it
The evaporust soaked paper towels killed it though
Here is a pic of the multi layer paint build up on the car >> blue / black / and silver

The area around the rear window though had a ton of extra adhesive and leftover RTV that someone thought was a good idea to idea in the window trim >>> maybe it was >>> the area around the window has virtually no rust at all

The LH trunk hinge is the next big hurdle in the back to weld that solid rather than the bolts that are sort of holding it on. I'm going to go slow and test fit it a few times to make sure it gets welded in the right location.
I think it will be the most important part of the project to get that right

Hope everyone is well

Take care

JT

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2020, 08:55:12 PM »

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2020, 11:20:33 PM »
That's interesting...I haven't been around a whole bunch of these cars (I suppose I've personally known maybe 5 or 6).  I've never seen a hinge separated in that manner, and bolted back down.  I wish I had some advice or suggestions for getting it welded properly.  But I got nothin' but best wishes.  Shouldn't be too hard though...Right?
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=69897.0

Wallington

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2020, 01:53:18 AM »
Previous backyard repair

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2020, 08:12:23 AM »
I can't remember, but have you decided what colour to paint the car?
Charlie

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2020, 06:58:37 AM »
I have not other than either the stock blue or silver. I’m most likely going to do silver and skip the bird decal

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2020, 08:11:13 PM »
Wallington >>> you ain't kidding about backyard repair

What is amazing is how solid the car is overall.
I cant get over the original wheel arches, floors and other aspects like the trunk.
On the other hand there is so much hack going on with it like the hinge, rattle can paint, glued on patch panels and other stuff.

Anyway; my cousin was changing out the radiator in his shop truck so the middle bay was occupied.
Instead of hitting the hood and getting the underside in prime; I got on with the work on the back of the car.
I had covered the trunk area with paint stripper and let it go for a couple of days.
It did a good job and I could just blow the paint off with and air gun.

The right side quarter panel was a bit more of a challenge

>>> lots of grinding on rust and scrubbing with the Evaporust did the trick though.

I did not get it primed but misted it with the Evaporust which they say will inhibit new rust for about a week. The left side one was just a lot of grinding and sanding to get it to bare metal.

I worked on stripping and straightening out the rear bumper cover with a different repair product. The SEM came in 1 oz. units and the supply shop had a 7 oz. package, but you needed a special tool to apply it.

I just used a socket extension to push the same amount out of each tube and mixed it up like regular filler and this was how far I got with it

Last thing I did was get the hood out and finish prepping it for primer after my cousin was finished up with his truck. I did the rust prep thing and attacked it with a wire wheel in the drill. It got late and I did not get it into prime, but I did get some little dimples knocked out and used some windshield type adhesive to secure the reinforcement structure on the underside of the hood which had separated in a couple of areas

Ended up kind of messy but effective

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2020, 08:11:13 PM »

2020-B1-8

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2020, 06:51:20 AM »
Time to get up and get after it. Hopefully the last smear of the bumper repair stuff is the last because I want to get the rear bumper in prime today. The material in the larger tubes took much longer to set up and be sandable and was also a bit thinner when applying. But for the amount required I think I saved money by using it vs the SEM product. I plan to shoot the bumper and start on some of the smaller metal work issues today. Maybe tackle that hinge issue.  Have a good day everyone. JT

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2020, 10:21:04 AM »
So I got the bumper covers primed and reprimed and welded the trunk hinge. Here are some pics. The runs are from mostly the adhesion promoter which is horrible to spray and from pushing the time between coats. Overall I think the corners of the bumpers came out ok. The parts that seem to need a little filler are rigid enough to take it without the concern it will crack

https://imgur.com/a/FtXy8zN

https://imgur.com/a/NVvWQEU

The hinge repair was a PITA. Had to grind down the bubble gum weld that was not doing any sort of securing the hinge. I also found how the rain was getting in the trunk. I repaired the holes and welded the hinge after testing the fit with the trunk lid and filler piece in place. Not my best work but effective

https://imgur.com/a/BLwksVu

An in progress pic

I also gave the trunk lid and filler piece a blast with the 2K primer while I had it out

Thanks for looking

JT

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2020, 01:03:22 PM »
A weekly update and some more pics

As I stated before; this car history must be interesting.
I finally figured that at some point the LH fender was replaced after the major re-spray to silver.
So much of the car has a nice silver coating even though it is weathered.
The base color on that fender is yellow rather than the original blue.
It too had traces of the lighter blue so it too must have been a repainted fender.
The one I repaired had the same light blue on it and it had a yellow base color.
My guess is the DS fender was replaced and the PS fender left for later
I got that one when I bought the car

Every other part of the car has traces of the original blue, then black then silver.

Oh well; I got the trunk and trunk lid area in epoxy prime and smeared filler over the hammered out cover I made when converting to fuel injection. The area around the right tail light has a rounded edge for some reason which I hammered back and there was a dent that I pulled out as well

Here is the same area after I hammered on it a bit and pulled the dent

Here is a picture of the whole trunk area >>> you can see the cover made to gain access to the fuel pump in the tank without removing the entire tank

I stripped and primed the inner edge of the DS fender and the cowl

The front and rear bumper covers got another blast of 2K primer as well

I hope to get the rear bumper sanded and primed once more and then removed so I can get to the rear patch panels.

The next big hurdles are: patch panels, fit the PS fender I repaired, fix the small area of damage on the roof, and fitting the doors. The metal and prime work are completed on the fender and doors already.

Thanks for checking in

JT

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2020, 08:35:32 PM »
Seams like things are moving along pretty nicely.
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am

Wallington

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2020, 10:09:26 PM »
There's a lot of weight on the tips of that hood rear.

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2020, 10:09:26 PM »

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2020, 05:18:29 AM »
Should I be concerned the hood will deform or just the tips. I did not consider it

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2020, 08:35:14 AM »
Tips of the hood may get damaged if youre not careful. Storing one that way is like nails on a chalk board.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2020, 10:05:14 PM »
I don't know from experience, but I had been warned about storing the hood back side down.  I knew mine would be laid up for a long time. I put mine front side down, and also tilted over to one side, so it wasn't on the front tip. I used a 2x4 and a couple shims on the side that was sticking up to stabilize it.   It sat that way for 4+ years with no problem.
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2020, 10:34:56 AM »
Good stuff on storing the hood.
I have it on a couple of layers of thick cardboard under the tips
I'll check on it and do something different if the cardboard isn't helping

I finally got the car into the second bay where there is room to work
I was able to get both quarter panel patches on.

It took a ton of work fitting them but I'm pretty happy the way they turned out
They are just tacked and I have to finish up setting them once I get the rear bumper off.
Then the tedious task of finish welding and the rest of the metal prep can be done.

I did a bunch of minor filler work around the B pillars and LR Quarter this week
and got the top or them and the roof sprayed in 2K.

JT

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2020, 12:21:05 PM »
Quarter patches are looking good.

One more comment on the hood storage. To store my hood, I used a couple 2x4s bolted on to the hinge locations that extend outside the perimeter of the hood.  This way nothing is touching the ground.  Because of the angle and curvature I did need a small spacer made out of 2x4 on the front bolt locations.

Gene

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2020, 05:43:34 PM »
Gene,

I dig that idea and may go that route >>> looks like putting a couple pieces across would make a nice platform with some saw horses to work on it too.

Here are a couple of other progress pics or the B-pillars and quarters primed

I got after the damage around the PS T-top area
There is a hole in the roof at the front of the panel that needs patching.
Pics to follow

JT

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2020, 08:36:39 PM »
Coming together nicely

Keep it up
Charlie

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2020, 10:00:59 PM »
The last couple of days I got on the repair required around the passenger side of the roof, just ahead of the T-top.
There was a bit corroded through and some weird damage along the front near the windshield.

I fitted a small piece that not only filled the hole but also a dented spot in front of the T-top
Like I said this area on the car has some weird damage.

The welds look like crap because they are >>> I was real concerned with sparks getting into the interior and
punching through the metal so it ended up like kind of bubble gum like

I used some All- Metal afterward to give it a base coating
I have wondered if All Metal is really any better than using regular filler but it never nor worked so????

That's all for now

JT

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2020, 09:47:30 AM »
Had a pretty successful day yesterday
Here are some pics of the quarter panel patches all welded up.
I got the bumper off with much difficulty and was able to weld up the rear corners of the patch panels and then finish along the length of the quarter.

I had to make some small repairs  in the panel behind the bumper as well

More weirdness, with some waviness on the roof between the T-tops that had to be addressed before I sprayed the 2K primer

Hope all are well

JT

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2020, 03:37:49 PM »
Yes, the roof of my car was weird and I am the second owner and I know there was no damage. I think they were stamped odd/off from the factory.  They're some weird dips at the back by the t top corners.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2020, 03:37:49 PM »

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2020, 05:06:40 PM »
Thanks for the info.
It’s understandable considering how these cars were made and what 40 years going down the road can do.

At one point I was looking into why and how bad the door gaps were closing up when I put the car up in the lift. The rear close up and the nose would sag.

This was before the subframe connectors and front bars

I put tape upside down along the length of the roof when it was up on the lift, and when set back down the tape was slack.

It solid with the frame connectors.

JT

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2020, 03:43:44 PM »
I had a whole post going with a bunch of text; but then it crashed >>> probably my crappy PC to blame

Don't care to retype it all so here are just some pics

Hope all are well with this craziness going on.

Last pic is of the quality work on the door as I bought the car >>>> really?

JT

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2020, 07:17:23 AM »
I hope everyone is doing OK with the situation we are in; both mentally and financially.

The company I work for makes machinery and the projects are spread out over months with progress payments that are spread out along the way.
Office people are working from home and the management split up shifts to spread the craftsman out in the shop
I think it will be just a bump in the road for the Co. short term, but if the markets stay spooked it may cause some slow-down later on.
Getting machine parts may be a problem though, but at least here in NJ they are not shutting down manufacturing.

Though distant and "faceless" you guys are in my thoughts when I pray for relief for those on the "front lines' of this ordeal and those that are affected.

I've made some good progress on the TA I think.

I spent a lot more tie on the roof then I expected, but it really was far worse than I thought.
I gotta wonder what this car went through and how weak these things are with T-tops
The rear quarters are coming along good the Passenger Side had some damage hidden under the spoiler end that took a little more time.
I pulled the metal out as much as I could then worked some new metal in rather then just use filler for the repair.
More time is part of a common theme here.

Some pics

I'm also going to start test fitting the late model Challenger mirror >>> bigger, electric and heated
My cousin is the one holding it up for the pic
Look at how much larger the new one is and the evidence of the hack paint-job from the one I took off.

Turns out my theory about Gin and Tonics as a good prevention measure about coronavirus is sound after hearing about the malaria drug findings ;)
Again; best wishes to you all

JT

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2020, 09:00:57 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts.  We are doing OK here in Montgomery County PA.  I work for a hospital information systems company and am able to work remotely.  Although Julie's work is closed, and our County is on complete lock down (Ordered to stay home except for food or medical trips) we are doing OK.  Everyone is healthy and I'm perfectly fine not leaving home.  Honestly, at this point in our lives it's not to much different than our usual routine!  Sad but true. 
I understand that these measures are intended to prevent the Hospital system from being overwhelmed.  The history is that 75-80% of people who get this bug require hospitalization.  If 20% of a population have to go to the hospital within a condensed period of time, there are not enough beds.  The result is that hospital's can't treat anyone new...IE. The 'usual' day to day car accident and heart attack victims get turned away too.   If we all do our part we can get over the hump in few weeks.  Stay home, wash your hands, stay 6 ft. from others, don't touch your face, be kind.  It's a crazy time, but we'll get through. 
It's nice to have a hobby to keep us busy.

Anyway,  I wanted to say the progress looks great!  And, I had an anecdote about how weak these T-Top cars are...
A friend of mine 'totaled' his '79 TA by driving up a curb at 25-30MPH.  Not even head on, he got pushed out of his lane by someone changing lanes and clipped the curb with the left front wheel.  The impact twisted the car right in the middle of the T-Tops  You could see that center bar wrinkled and twisted.  Rest of the car was fine.   I ended up with the motor and steering column from that '79.  Come to think of it, the ignition key from that car still starts my car to this day!

I'm watching your Challenger mirror project closely.  Please keep us posted on how that works out...That's a good one.
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2020, 06:50:28 PM »
Good Stuff Turbo!

I am pretty pleased with the state of the roof.
I blocked it a bit tonight before and hit it with some glaze filler.

The mirror has posts and studs that protruded below the surface that would contact the door skin
I though I would have to remove the studs and grind down the post re-drill the remaining material and then install the studs again.

Noooo! taking the studs out revealed the posts were part of the stud / post deal.
So now I'm left with a meaty mass of plastic that I can thread a new stud into that will have the threads start just shy of the surface that contacts the door
A ton of work just went away >>> now I just have to find a stud like the ones you use with wood >> > wood thread on one side and machine screw on the other.

The mirrors will be an A$$ ache to put in. They will have they studs and will have to be secured from within the door.
I'm anticipating the glass will have to be out.

Anyway I'm block sanding my arms off.
If I had the CV >>> the body ache symptom would go unnoticed.
The typical Saturday I get to the shop at 9:00 or so and do not sit until I get in my truck to leave at 6:00 or 7:00.
All the while drinking the required amount of "body-work" fluid so...

Now that the threat of snow is gone we rolled the Buick out that was perched over the TA.
No the TA is on the lift and I have much more flexibility as to what I want to work on.

Later

JT

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2020, 07:09:52 AM »
Those threaded screws are sometimes called 'rail bolts'. If you cant find them in the hardware section look where they have stair parts.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

cyber104

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2020, 07:13:38 AM »
I hope everyone is doing OK with the situation we are in; both mentally and financially.

Though distant and "faceless" you guys are in my thoughts when I pray for relief for those on the "front lines' of this ordeal and those that are affected.

Again; best wishes to you all

JT

Clearly I chopped up your post a bit lol - but I think these few sentences sum things up really well - NICELY stated!

And I'll give that a BIG +1

Here in NC we are looking at "Shelter in place" - same thing as Tom.

Nice progress on the car!

Take care everyone and be safe
Chris
1978 TA 4-Speed W72

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2020, 07:35:01 PM »
Hey Guys, hope all is well with you and yours

With the lockdown and being at home working it has worked out that I've got way more time to work on the TA
Kids are at home schooling and stuff they end up grazing late into the afternoon so no one is hungry at normal dinner time.
I go down to the shop at 4 and pick around on the car until around 8:00 >>> when the fascists say it is time to be home LOL!

Anyway; I have made a lot of progress on getting the rear and roof and bumpers.
Everything has been sanded to 320 and re-primed.

I spent some time making my HVLP turbine unit to paint the car with.
I used my uncle's 3 stage unit when I did the AMC and built my own using a 5 stage motor I bought.
Here's some pics of mine

I needed a couple of things you can't get locally like a pressure relief so I made an order with Mc Master-Carr.
I also got some filter cloth so the girls and I made reusable masks for the family and friends.
They had off this week so I thought it would be a good project while we are house-bound

This week the goal is to get the new mirror sorted out  I have to do it outside to be able to get the door open all the way

Stay healthy folks and Happy Easter
Here's my take on things and what I am holding onto these days.
If you are wrought with worry; or know someone who is >>> consider this.

From the Heidelberg Catechism Q & A Number 1

Q.
What is your only comfort
in life and death?

A.
That I am not my own, 1
but belong with body and soul,
both in life and in death, 2
to my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ. 3
He has fully paid for all my sins
with his precious blood, 4
and has set me free
from all the power of the devil. 5
He also preserves me in such a way 6
that without the will of my heavenly Father
not a hair can fall from my head; 7
indeed, all things must work together
for my salvation. 8
Therefore, by his Holy Spirit
he also assures me
of eternal life 9
and makes me heartily willing and ready
from now on to live for him.

Peace Brothers
JT

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2020, 08:00:48 AM »
Hey Guys
Hope everyone is holding up OK and are healthy

Here are some pics of the TA
I have not tried out the HVLP blower because there have been some cars in the shop that I don't want to spray around
Black being the main issue and the dust that gets created from all the sanding

So I've been picking around on some fine work touching up things here and there
I stripped the rear tail lights down and have one of the lenses repainted, and will do the other later today
I did inside the trunk with some tintable bed liner, tinted with some silver I had left over from painting the AMC
It came out OK but I'm going to do another light coat
I cut in the corners with a chip brush and rolled it out rather than spray it

Some Pics

This pic shows the tape and how I cut the angled part
I had the tape from running in a slitter years ago where I used to work
I have a ton of it, its made by a real famous tape company and is like a vellum material that seals real well

Take Care
Jim

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2020, 06:00:08 PM »
Lights turned out nice. I still have no idea where I went wrong with mine.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter