2020-B1-1

Author Topic: California smog legal LS swap  (Read 1576 times)

langss

• Active Forum Member
Re: California smog legal LS swap
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2020, 12:32:38 PM »
Could you just find an Aunt, Cousin, Mom, Dad, or etc. from a neighboring state and have them register it for you?
That will only work if you have a "Physical Address" in another state. You don't have to have a DL, but you do need an ID that says that's where you live/stay. Many people have tried it the other way and eventually get caught. Driving a performance oriented vehicle will get you noticed and sooner or later the B&W Racing Team will stop you. I got pulled over by the CHP, on my way to work, just because I still had the paper plates on a car I bought. They informed me that the plates had indeed been sent...(I was just to lazy to put them on). They let me go, but the very next day, I saw the CHP pull out and follow me again....Same route to work every day....Pattern....that's how they catch you...Parking Lot every day....sooner or later. And its Pricey to get it fixed.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2020, 02:03:21 PM »
Sounds like a real PITA...

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

socal-WS6

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2020, 07:59:33 AM »
Yeah I have that option to register to my buddies place in Vegas. But... if I have a California DL with an address in California and the car is in my name and registered in Nevada, it’s a huge red flag. The outcome would be a warning to register the vehicle in 30 days (I think) or risk impoundment. Doing a smog legal swap isn’t impossible or actually terribly difficult. I guess I just wanted to gauge or see if there was any other way to get it done. Thanks for all your responses! I’ll probably make a new CA smog legal LS swap page once I start working on it and will document everything for anyone else that wants to know how to do it

Wallington

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2020, 10:03:21 PM »
Is living in Ca even all that? Enough of a reason to move.

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2020, 12:46:50 AM »
When it comes to emissions regulations ( especially in California) I wonder why they are so nearly  unreasonable. My point, there are only a very small percentage of the cars still on the road. Secondly , these cars for most part are not daily drivers. The overall environmental impact is less than nominal in the big picture.  In fact the environmental footprint has minimal impact on air quality .

Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2020, 02:20:22 PM »
When it comes to emissions regulations ( especially in California) I wonder why they are so nearly  unreasonable. My point, there are only a very small percentage of the cars still on the road. Secondly , these cars for most part are not daily drivers. The overall environmental impact is less than nominal in the big picture.  In fact the environmental footprint has minimal impact on air quality .

Jim
Personally, I think its all about the money.....the 2019 registration on my Non Op 66 Chevelle is $123. My Non Op 76 K5 is $128.....On the other side my 15 Silverado is $463 plus the "Sales" tax I paid when I bought it. If they can make it difficult/expensive to operate, maybe you will buy a newer car and pay more in registration and sales tax. I think the only reason the current cutoff is 75, is the markup on "California Only" Approved Converters.....no money to be made on the prior years not equipped. My 66 would almost make no difference... hypothetically if I bought the E-rod for my 76....lot of approval money changed hands.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2020, 02:47:25 PM »
That, or the simple premise is you have people in state government who have a real chubby for getting those old "clunkers" off the road.

"Why do you drive an old car when you can afford a new Lexus or Mercedes?"

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2020, 09:29:31 PM »
That, or the simple premise is you have people in state government who have a real chubby for getting those old "clunkers" off the road.

"Why do you drive an old car when you can afford a new Lexus or Mercedes?"

Truth be told....I don't know how it works...If the "State" gets a %of every approved item, or a blanket fee for every approval....My money is on the %...the State is way to greedy to accept a one time payment. Regarding buying new....I would have preferred to not have bought the Silverado, and changed the engine in my Blazer to the TPI engine I have.... The place to do the engine work dried up and I needed a truck yesterday. So here we are....It probably will get the TPI, just be in AZ not in California.

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2020, 09:29:31 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4