2020-B1-1

Author Topic: Holley Sniper EFI  (Read 563 times)

Geeves

• Active Forum Member
Holley Sniper EFI
« on: September 13, 2019, 12:40:16 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has switched over to the Holley Sniper Quadrajet EFI?  If so could you please let us know your results.  I know nothing about quadrajet tuning or timing curve tuning, so I want to know if this system does all of that.  For information, I have a 1978 Trans Am with a 403.  It runs good, but lacks power.  Not sure if this is normal or not.  I would take the car somewhere if I knew where to get it tuned.  Seems like this is an outdated trade.  Please inform me.  Thanks!

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Holley Sniper EFI
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 03:28:17 AM »
I have not (yet as my car is in pile of pieces) but have asked the exact same question, and those that have done it, love it!!

Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(19 years and counting but still have her)

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 07:05:50 AM »
I have not done Sniper by Holley myself but that system does do timing control.  With that being said, you can get some power out of your 403 with proper air/fuel and spark tuning. 

A lot of people who have these types of systems have commented that engines really wake up once they're able to start throwing in timing curves by computer. 

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 09:25:41 AM »
That system looks interesting but WOW $1200? Not to hujack but how does the system adjust timing?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

hakitup

• Oracle Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »
I have the Holley Sniper Quadrajet in my 74. I bought it to make sure I didn’t damage my new engine keeping the a/f and timing correct. I installed it in March of this year then drove from California to South Dakota and just recently from South Dakota to Dayton Oh and back. The system works great and very easy to set up however there are some things they don’t tell you about.

I used the in tank fuel pump that fits the stock tank. The hand held tuner/screen is for basic set up you really need a laptop and their software to get it set up properly. With the laptop you can blend and smooth the fuel chart and timing chart, without it, those charts are very blocky. The next thing that isn’t discussed is you need a coil driver and parts to lock out the distributor. The coil driver you get from Holley but the distributor lockout parts are from however you can find. The mechanical lockout is easy to find I made a vacuum lockout as it needs to be adjustable. The reason for the adjustment is to set the static timing per the instructions. You can avoid all of this by purchasing a MSD distributor, then you will just need the coil driver. I wanted to keep my new stock distributor and had to search the internet to find how to do this.

The timing control works like this, at 45 degrees BTDC the magnetic trigger sends a signal to the ECU. The ECU determines what timing should be from all the sensors and timing chart. ECU Sends a signal to the coil driver and the driver sends the signal to trigger the coil. On the laptop you can watch live timing on the timing chart.

I really like the system and happy I bought it. I have been getting 17-19 MPG with it 6 speed and 3.73 gears. The engine is a 455, bored .060 over, Edelbrock heads, Lunati roller cam, 10.6/1 comp, Ram Air III headers.

Tom H
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 01:07:44 PM by hakitup »
"I don't know what you call it, I only know the sound it makes when it lies!!"

lskip10

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 06:32:34 PM »
I also put in the Sniper Quadrajet . I went with a new tank with the in tank pump. The setup was very straight forward. The ECU being built in makes it clean setup. It only has 4 connections and the more I have driven it the better it responds, I can say getting in the car at any engine temp and it fires off like a new car. I mounted my screen along the console with velcro so I can get at it easy w/o drilling holes or leave it hanging in the map pocket.

I left the stock distributor and had to add  additional connectors on the battery posts for those two connections. It was pricey yes but now I can cruise in any temps and not worry about vapor lock ,hard cranking, constantly every year dealing with a carb adjustment. It was time to join the awesome improvements technology has for our cars. Not to mention absolutely no shaker mods at all. Fits exactly. the only thing that alerts someone to the fact is has EFI is the regulator mounted on the apron.

hakitup

• Oracle Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 08:43:26 AM »
With Holley’s OE style EFI fuel tank modules in tank pump you don’t need a regulator, my engine bay looks stock.

Tom H
"I don't know what you call it, I only know the sound it makes when it lies!!"

General Mopars

• Oracle Forum Member
      • Photobucket Album of all my Trans Ams
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 10:01:32 AM »
I also put in the Sniper Quadrajet . I went with a new tank with the in tank pump. The setup was very straight forward. The ECU being built in makes it clean setup. It only has 4 connections and the more I have driven it the better it responds, I can say getting in the car at any engine temp and it fires off like a new car. I mounted my screen along the console with velcro so I can get at it easy w/o drilling holes or leave it hanging in the map pocket.

I left the stock distributor and had to add  additional connectors on the battery posts for those two connections. It was pricey yes but now I can cruise in any temps and not worry about vapor lock ,hard cranking, constantly every year dealing with a carb adjustment. It was time to join the awesome improvements technology has for our cars. Not to mention absolutely no shaker mods at all. Fits exactly. the only thing that alerts someone to the fact is has EFI is the regulator mounted on the apron.

I've been considering doing this on my '79, but worried about the fit of the shaker. You're telling me the height is absolutely identical?

"It takes a tough man to sell a screaming chicken."

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »
I have not done Sniper by Holley myself but that system does do timing control.  With that being said, you can get some power out of your 403 with proper air/fuel and spark tuning. 

A lot of people who have these types of systems have commented that engines really wake up once they're able to start throwing in timing curves by computer.

For anyone who sees this statement, please disregard.  Timing control has been added.

lskip10

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 12:30:11 PM »
yes with the quadrajet set up, zero mods for the shaker.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 12:30:11 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3