2020-B1-5

Author Topic: Radio Interference  (Read 280 times)

Daedalus

• Active Forum Member
Radio Interference
« on: August 28, 2019, 05:07:02 PM »
I haven't been on here in a long time - I almost forgot what a great source of info this place is.

I just bought a '79 TATA 400 Manual and one of the issues with it is the radio (it's the red digital version).  The radio works great in the accessory position, but about 5 seconds after starting the car, it loses reception pretty much totally.  That would be my first question - that timing should tell me what's causing the problem - is it the alternator?  Blower motor?

My first thought was that it might be because the power antenna didn't work (it's the CB version with the two antenna jacks and the stub antenna wire), so I fixed that and it works fine (although now that I'm typing this, I should have checked it for continuity).

I'm thinking this must be a radio suppressor problem, one of which is mounted on the fuse panel behind a metal tab that the hush panel screws into.  This I've ordered, but from reading I think there could be two more.

One should be on the blower motor - this car has A/C and I've looked but I can't find it.  Where should it be?

The other is listed for sale on various websites, but it looks like this one:

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/radio-capacitor/duralast-radio-capacitor-u518/765024_0_0

Where would this go?

'It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who's been swimming naked' - Warren Buffet

Daedalus

• Active Forum Member
Re: Radio Interference
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 03:57:00 PM »
Ok, so here’s the odyssey on finding radio noise so far...only the last has worked so far

1.  Fixed power antenna (lot easier than it looks) - most of the parts for 2nd gen repairs are on eBay or  there are sellers online.  I got the cable from theantennasource.com but there are others.

2.  Replaced spark plug wires.

3.  Tried a different alternator

4.  Tested antenna and antenna cable for resistance.

5.  Bought a emf detector and tried to find where noise was coming from

6.  Tested suppressor...tested fine, changed it anyway

7.  Bought a cheap antenna and cable and tried it.

8.  Talked to a very weird dude who repairs 8 tracks about having radio rebuilt.

9.  Bought a rebuilt radio (fits but not correct) and installed.  Works like a charm.

So it would appear that there must be some kind of suppressor in the radio itself that does some of the job of keeping radio noise suppressed. 

Does anybody have a recommendation about who they would trust to rebuild this Radio?
'It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who's been swimming naked' - Warren Buffet

Warren Seale

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 06:18:30 AM »
I just recently had the 12 disc Delco\Pioneer CD changer repaired that is in my 96 T/A.  Most vintage radio guys won't touch that.  He did a good job and is very knowledgeable.  I had it back in less than a week.

https://www.doctordons.com/

Warren

79 T/A,WS6,403,A3
96 T/A,WS6(#1344),M6
72 442,W30,A3
96 Vette Grand Sport convertible,F45,LT4,M6
06 Vette convertible,Z51,M6

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 06:18:30 AM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3