Author Topic: Your homemade tools.  (Read 331 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Your homemade tools.
« on: August 22, 2019, 11:38:42 AM »
I changed the name of the thread to homemade tools. I'd like to see what others have made.

While waiting on filler and paint to dry I have been playing around a little bit with my 1940/50 Craftsman lathe and HF special mill (yes I know they are not "real" machines, but they are neat to play with and I can produce parts and stuff I couldn't without them.

I want a quick change tool post for the lathe and what better way to gain experience and more tooling than to make one. Well, I found out quickly I would need a fly cutter to cut the blocks to shape. I don't have one and  well, they look easy enough so I thought I'd make one...

Chunk of a tie rod from a combine...

Turning it down to shape. This took forever... I am learning depth of cut, feed rate and RPM...

I then took it to the mill and cut a 3/8" slot in the center of it at a 10 degree angle. This is where the carbide lathe cutter will fit. I also milled the bottom at 10 degrees to match.

Then I cut 3 1/4" pockets for the set screws.

Apparently I lost thos pictures...

Then I drilled and tapped in the pockets. I took a piece of 3/8 drill rod which had a point on one end and put that in a collet in the mill and used that to center that tap handle which has a recess in the end of it. That guaranteed a straight tapped hole and minimized breakage.  I'm good at breaking taps...

I will have to tram the column as it must be off ever so slightly, hence the light mill marks here. Still pretty good looking.

Still have to pick up some 10/24 x 3/8" set screws and I want to cold blue it but it's basically finished.  You can see I have my blue gloves on, I use these when doing body work as my hands are in really rough shape from years of acetone and body dust contact.

**EDIT **

I finished this with cold gun bluing and then oiled it. It really came out good. Next, I'll have to test it out and report.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:56:12 AM by FormTA »
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Your homemade tools.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 08:04:52 AM »
Looks good, that's one skill I would like to have - along with the tools.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 06:37:00 PM »
DANG!  Nice job!  It must be nice to be able to fabricate stuff on a whim like that. 

I'd love to learn how to do all that, but my fear is that with the advent of 3D printing, a lathe would eventually be obsolete.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 09:14:49 PM »
I have no idea what I'm doing.  :shock:

Thanks!

I have a very mechanical mind. I have always built stuff, just very crudely. I started with a stick welder and a grinder.  I have always wanted to learn machining skills so I bought an ald lathe and an off brand mill to try to self learn. This was my first real attempt at making something.  I am to lazy (and in a hurry) to be a "real" machinist.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:57:17 AM by FormTA »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 07:58:05 AM »
I just updated the pictures with the final product.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 07:58:05 AM »

hakitup

• Oracle Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 10:13:23 AM »
I have no idea what I'm doing.  :shock:

Thanks!

I have a very mechanical mind. I have always built stuff, just very crudely. I started with a stick welder and a grinder.  I have always wanted to learn machining skills so I bought an ald lathe and an off brand mill to try to self learn. This was my first real attempt at making something.  I am to lazy (and in a hurry) to be a "real" machinist.

Great job making a fly cutter, having the machines and the desire/ability makes you a machinist. Going to school teaches step 1 step 2 step 3 so you are less likely to make a mistake by doing step 2 first. You will learn that by using the machines.

I miss having all the machines at my disposal, I’ve been looking at a lathe and mill. Right now I just have a compressor, drill press, mig welder and plasma cutter.

Tom H
"I don't know what you call it, I only know the sound it makes when it lies!!"

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 08:42:35 PM »
That is awesome!  I wouldn't even know how to turn the machines on, let alone make something useful  :lol:  Pretty cool stuff.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1969 Firebird 400 (non-numbers)
1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2007 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (5.4)
2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD V6
2012 Mustang

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 07:34:37 AM »
All of my homemade tools are wood.
Finished!