Author Topic: Standard vs Deluxe seats. Which is more comfortable in your opinion?  (Read 251 times)

75-T/A

• Forum Member
What would you say the most comfortable factory seat would be? Or are they all more or less the same?

I appreciate your opinions.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
Re: Standard vs Deluxe seats. Which is more comfortable in your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
Comfort is so subjective and personal, if you're trying to decide because you have neither you should really try and find a way of testing them in person as the foam and covers are different.  I don't think either is comfortable and they're definitely not supportive, I haven't sat in a set but I'd wager the '81 Recaro seats are the best "from the factory" option.

For what it's worth I have fibromyalgia, so there are a lot of things that aren't comfortable for me yet are fine for others.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 07:49:42 AM »
I have deluxe seats in my 77. They are plenty comfortable for my 55yo, 250lb body. I dont drive for more than a couple of hours at a time though. FWIW I had a set of recarro's in a VW jetta, and those seats were horrible. They looked cool, and I suppose they hold a person in place on the race track, but for every day cruising around they were bad.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 08:10:43 AM »
I have both in different cars and the different is huge, so much that I'm looking for a deluxe set to replace the standard seats.

Regards, Jack

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 12:14:33 PM »
I'm curious what the difference is. I was under the impression they were basically the same except for the upholstery.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 12:14:33 PM »

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 03:47:55 PM »
The Deluxe cloth seat is the most comfortable to me. I have both the standard vinyl and the Deluxe hobnail lombardy cloth seat in my 79's. Not only is the seat upholstery styling different, but the foam cushions are different as well. The Deluxe cushions seems to be a little more bolstered, so the seat feels more cushy than the standard style seat. And the cloth seat, especially hobnail, helps hold you in the seat, whereas you can slide on the vinyl seats. 
Steve F.

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 05:37:12 PM »
Oh the deluxe 100%, I have a buddy with a standard interior in a '79 and I was riding around in his for a bit. Maybe it's because the deluxe ones that that lower lumbar section that extrudes a bit outwards? The standard ones are just... standard... they're kinda just like a slab of plastic. If you sat in it every day for a month and your butt made a shape in it... maybe. The rear standard seats weren't great though. Like, they have no shape, it's just as simple as you can get. The cloth is the bomb, the vinyl, ehh idk I feel like it doesn't stretch as much when you sit on it.

But you wanna talk comfort? the '77 Deluxe Velour Cloth seats. My god. I thought I could fall asleep in the '79 hobnail ones. But the '77 Deluxe? Dawg how did people not pass out while driving? Probably why there aren't that many Y82's left they all hit trees on the side of the road from people falling asleep at the wheel. I get why people didn't order the rear seat consoles now...
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 05:44:02 PM »
I have deluxe velour in my 77. I don’t have anything to compare them to but I think mine are ridiculously comfortable.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

gstrandfarm9420

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 08:44:26 PM »
Deluxe seats by far. Just had em rebuilt with new springs, foam pads and upholstery, love them and I didn't think they were bad in worn out condition, but all new they are great!

75-T/A

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 07:26:20 PM »
Would I be wrong to say the most comfortable seats are the horse collar deluxe type in cloth, followed by the later deluxe seats in cloth.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 10:23:04 PM »
They have the effect of letting you sink into them and be supported both sides and around your shoulders, size of occupant and seat condition dependent. If I was getting some seats retrimmed and not using a repro set, I'd ask them to add extra sponge and increase the support around the back bolsters, but still have it trimmed as per stock but require a little more material to cover.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 10:23:04 PM »
You can help support TAC!