Author Topic: Amp with built in Bluetooth a dream come true for classic cars  (Read 1256 times)

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
Never have to turn your factory radio on again or cobble your dashboard up . I had no idea they even made something like this till i spoke to Crutchfield last night . Play your music from your phone and work the volume from it no need for a head unit at all . I am not excited much anymore in life about products but this solves all the classic car radio issues for sure.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTR102/JBL-GTR-102.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTR104/JBL-GTR-104.html?cc=07
1979 Gold Bird
original paint and decals motor and trans   solid body mounts   frame connectors  full suspension overhaul  255/50/17 Nitto tires and YO snowflakes .  
Jim

allenga

• Active Forum Member
Re: Amp with built in Bluetooth a dream come true for classic cars
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 12:44:56 PM »
I think those are a great idea.  I was also looking at these:

http://www.outofsightaudio.com

I stream all my music in my car.  I just hate using the little buttons on my phone to control volume.  I wish I could get a very small control panel with a volume knob and skip button.
1977 Trans Am, stock 400 W72, auto.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 01:26:31 PM »
Only issue is that where do you put it so that you can access it? I have a bluetooth head unit in the glove box which I control via my phone or the remote that it came with.

Regards, Jack

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 01:45:09 PM »
I am gathering you could install this with your OEM radio too?

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 02:46:14 PM »
I have spoke to them today about options . The unit will turn itself on/off with Bluetooth  and you can still use your original head unit if you want the AM or FM . I dont know much about modern audio but this sure sounds good .  I currently have my stock 79 GM radio running through a amp in trunk that really sounds good but the Bluetooth would be a great option . I have also used those Bluetooth that plug into the cigarette lighter but this would be a lot cleaner sound i think .
1979 Gold Bird
original paint and decals motor and trans   solid body mounts   frame connectors  full suspension overhaul  255/50/17 Nitto tires and YO snowflakes .  
Jim

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 02:46:14 PM »

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 02:57:18 PM »
I have a Kenwood version I installed in my 77 while still utilizing my factory radio and console 8 track player. There’s a long thread on it, some of which involves using the older common ground radio with a modern amp but it can be done.

The kenwood one is very small and I mounted it under my console.
https://youtu.be/1_gj_jdGgqw

Disregard the little “A” “B” I press to switch between the radio and 8 track. With what I know now I could’ve eliminated that and left the radio and 8 track hooked up like from the factory. Also disregard the sound being off from the video later. It was something to do with the app I used to record since my phone won’t record video and broadcast Bluetooth simultaneously.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 03:04:52 PM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 03:21:49 PM »
Hey Brian i do remember seeing that . Maybe you know about the JBL unit it has a feature built in to correct the suppressed music file guess it restores the file for better sound . I know i have listened to some of my saved music and it sounds terrible.
1979 Gold Bird
Jim

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 03:30:24 PM »
I think those are a great idea.  I was also looking at these:

http://www.outofsightaudio.com

I stream all my music in my car.  I just hate using the little buttons on my phone to control volume.  I wish I could get a very small control panel with a volume knob and skip button.

You can use one of these devices to control your phone audio.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RM75NL0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A35D5ON3677H9N&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQ8Q6X6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3MSDM2P63S2VI&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TFDS1LF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AMZG4N0VWXYVJ&psc=1
Gene

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 04:02:11 PM »
Hey Brian i do remember seeing that . Maybe you know about the JBL unit it has a feature built in to correct the suppressed music file guess it restores the file for better sound . I know i have listened to some of my saved music and it sounds terrible.

I haven’t heard of that feature. I haven’t noticed any issues with any of my music sounding bad. Part of that may be because most of it came from my CDs. Little, if any, of my music was downloaded.
-Brian-

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 04:07:36 PM »
I  just ordered it tonight wont be in till Wednesday should be in car by next weekend .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHEr7_bT5z0
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 04:10:28 PM by Gold member »
1979 Gold Bird
Jim

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 04:39:26 PM »
I know you ordered already but for what it’s worth the kenwood I bought is a bit cheaper. Can use the wired remote for volume, track change, etc or control from your phone. Only think you NEED the remote for is to select Bluetooth or input (radio)

Kenwood 1177524 Compact Automotive/Marine Amplifier Class D Kac-M1824BT, 180W RMS, 400W PMPO, 4 Channel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UTXQL74/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Wc4oDb40G5002
-Brian-

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 03:53:49 AM »
where does the cd go....?

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 08:03:04 PM »
OK  it s 80 percent in so i had to try it and all i can say is HOLY doo doo^ !!!. The amp paired to my phone instantly pick a band AC/DC had no idea my phone was at half volume neighbors not happy and they dont live very close . I will be 100 percent tomorrow and will do another review . 
1979 Gold Bird
Jim

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 07:48:57 PM »
All done and WOW .  This is what i have hooked to the new Bluetooth amp . 1 the stock 79 radio . 2  6 disk CD player that plays through the radio . 3 An AUX port that also plays through the radio .
The stock radio and CD player will make your ears ring for sure and the base will rattle the car even with the stock radio . Now the Bluetooth is a little different super quality sound but the volume from  my phone is loud but nothing like  turning the volume knob up on the radio . I will enjoy hands free phone calls now with the Bluetooth . So over all for the money i give it a 9 for sure . JBL .GTR 102 AMP $130..00   Pioneer TS-A6970F 5 Way 600 Watts 6" x 9" $69.00. Well worth the money and it still looks stock on the dash . I a by no means a stereo expert and i am sure you can spend way more money but this really does the job in my book .
1979 Gold Bird
Jim

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 09:43:10 PM »
Good deal! Post up a video. I feel like this is the best way to get the best of all worlds regardless of which amp you use.
-Brian-

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 09:43:10 PM »

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 10:16:25 PM »
I have one of these little buggers in my LeMans - your amp is just the ticket to add modern features to it.

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 10:40:41 PM »
Cassette!!! I love it  :D
-Brian-

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 06:12:41 AM »
I have one of these little buggers in my LeMans - your amp is just the ticket to add modern features to it.

That will work for sure  .  I know  i owned one of them at one point in life looks familiar.
1979 Gold Bird
Jim

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 06:21:56 AM »
Good deal! Post up a video. I feel like this is the best way to get the best of all worlds regardless of which amp you use.

That's for sure  any amp will do the trick  I will try a video of the install but i dont think the sound quality will sound as good as it does in person .  At age 56 i still like my Dio loud and the peoples expressions at the stoplight LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhGEGIBGLu8
1979 Gold Bird
Jim

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 07:47:09 AM »
Very interesting. I have recently decided to add music to my car and dont want to disturb the stock radio. I looked at the 'secret audio' but this has me intrigued as well. Only problem is I dont have music in my phone!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 08:42:35 AM »
Very interesting. I have recently decided to add music to my car and dont want to disturb the stock radio. I looked at the 'secret audio' but this has me intrigued as well. Only problem is I dont have music in my phone!
[/quote

Easy to add music to  your phone or you can stream music it doesn't use much data . We take long  trips with the car like the power tour and i like having my music for the ride pulse the hands free for phone now .
1979 Gold Bird
Jim

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 09:23:00 AM »

That's for sure  any amp will do the trick  I will try a video of the install but i dont think the sound quality will sound as good as it does in person .  At age 56 i still like my Dio loud and the peoples expressions at the stoplight LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhGEGIBGLu8

HAHAHAHA Dio
-Brian-

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 09:24:42 AM »

What do you have or would like to use? A music player like an iPod or cds?
-Brian-

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 10:44:09 AM »
8 track, LOL. Honestly, that's a good question. In my youth (im pushing 56) I was a bit of an audiophile. I started playing guitar in a band when I was 15, always had the best sound equipment I could buy. My car stereos were top notch as well, usually Alpine or Kenwood. Now, after working construction for 40+ years my hearing isn't as good as it should be, so I dont really need anything fancy. At one time I had at least 500 albums (my son has them now), I would put them on cassette to listen in the car. Then I started to buy cd's when they came out. I have a pile of them as well. Now, all of the music I listen to is off the radio, usually an oldies station-classic rock 60's & 70's. I suppose I could take the time and put some of my favorites from album to some digital source, although I would have to learn how to do that first. Sirius was my go to and I did have that app on my phone until they screwed me royally. I suppose if they still make them, I could put a cd changer in my T/A, I would rather have something digital at this time though. Any suggestions for a half deaf old man is appreciated!
BTW, I had a tape player only at one time hooked up in my truck, it had 8 track on one side and cassette on the other.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 04:16:26 PM »
Of course, if you were to get one of those amps with bluetooth, the cheapest and easiest way to play your music would be if the phone you already own has bluetooth, with enough storage to hold the music you want. In my case, I have an older i-phone with only 16 gigs storage, but it's still enough to hold my favorite music. But it is approaching full capacity, so if I were getting a new phone today, I'd get at least 32 gigs or more, if the price wasn't much higher for more storage.

Or you could get an Ipod or other MP3 player with bluetooth, and use that as your dedicated music storage. But, I think having it on the phone is more convenient, so you only have to carry one device.

I buy my digital music from Amazon, and with an Amazon app on my phone, the music goes to the phone. I have Amazon Prime, and they give you a lot of the old songs for free when you're a member. The ones I pay for are usually a dollar each.

I have some CD's, and I used to copy them to the computer. And from there I could add them to my Amazon app. But Amazon discontinued that feature, so while I was able to keep the ones I already downloaded to the app, they don't let you do that anymore. But, any new songs I want, I just buy them from Amazon, since they don't cost much anyway and it's easier than it was to transfer music to the computer and then to the app.

Steve F.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2019, 04:20:27 PM »
Gold member,

I noticed the amp you got is 2 channel. How many speakers are you using?

I was thinking if somebody has 4 speakers, they'd need a 4 channel.
Steve F.

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2019, 09:47:15 PM »
I think I one of the links included a 4 channel. Or the kenwood amp w/Bluetooth I used is also 4 channel.
-Brian-

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »
Gold member,

Hey Steve . Only running two 6x9 in the rear deck .  The dash speaker does not run through the amp and i just keep the fade to the rear when i am using the radio .  As mentioned there is a 4 channel Bluetooth available by JBL or Kenwood .   
1979 Gold Bird
Jim

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2019, 08:57:23 AM »
Gold member,

Hey Steve . Only running two 6x9 in the rear deck .  The dash speaker does not run through the amp and i just keep the fade to the rear when i am using the radio .  As mentioned there is a 4 channel Bluetooth available by JBL or Kenwood .

Alrighty, that explains it. Thanks!
Steve F.

itllfly

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2019, 06:08:09 PM »
Where did you mount the amp.  Wonder if it would fit under console in front shifter

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2019, 09:17:37 PM »
The kenwood I posted above is. That’s where I put mine. I don’t know about the one he used
-Brian-

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2019, 07:08:59 PM »
Where did you mount the amp.  Wonder if it would fit under console in front shifter

My car was already wired for one in the trunk but do like you idea it could fit.
1979 Gold Bird
Jim

Wallington

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2019, 05:15:32 PM »
I'd rather get in and cruise and not have to worry about trying to arrange some tunes on a phone somewhere.

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2019, 09:21:15 AM »
Good thing you don’t have to. Thanks though.
-Brian-

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2019, 09:21:15 AM »
You can help support TAC!