Author Topic: Hood skin to frame separation.  (Read 350 times)

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
Hood skin to frame separation.
« on: July 13, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »
I finally found the squeak in my car The glue has let loose between the hood skin and frame .  Has anyone had any luck gluing it back together leaving the original blobs and using some kind of glue between the steel and old glue .
1979 Gold Bird
original paint and decals motor and trans   solid body mounts   frame connectors  full suspension overhaul  255/50/17 Nitto tires and YO snowflakes .  
Jim

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Hood skin to frame separation.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 07:58:01 PM »
Same thing happened to my 79 TA hood. It would vibrate up and down from the wind going down the highway. At first I didn't know why, but upon closer inspection, I saw the adhesive "globs" had let go, so the panel was loose from the hood frame and flapping in the wind.

I used Norton Speedgrip 5 minute structural adhesive to fix it. I cleaned the metal around the existing globs of adhesive and applied the new adhesive over them and connecting to the surrounding metal surfaces. I also added some extra globs of adhesive for more strength.

The Norton Speedgrip structural adhesive is a 2 part black material that comes in a twin cartridge, and should be applied with a special dual applicator gun that dispenses the 2 parts equally together out the nozzle. So, the 2 parts mix when dispensed and hardens soon thereafter. So, you might have to buy the special applicator gun too. It looks very much like the original hood adhesive, so it matches well. This 5 minute formulation gives plenty of time to make each "glob", before it starts to set up, so it worked out great.

Now my hood doesn't flap, feels solid when I close it, and unexpectedly made the front of the hood fit better to my nose cover.
Steve F.

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 04:30:33 AM »
Thanks Steve . For two years i have been chasing this noise down was driving me crazy . Such a simple fix will have it glued down this week . I did have someone tell me to close the hood after applying glue so it dries in place .
1979 Gold Bird
original paint and decals motor and trans   solid body mounts   frame connectors  full suspension overhaul  255/50/17 Nitto tires and YO snowflakes .  
Jim

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 06:46:10 AM »
I did have someone tell me to close the hood after applying glue so it dries in place .

You're welcome. I left the hood up while it dried and it turned out good. I don't know that it would make a difference closing it. I imagine you'd have to close it gently so the newly applied adhesive isn't disturbed.
Steve F.

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 07:33:16 PM »
What a huge difference now that its glued down . I had a body shop friend and TA  owner told me to use windshield glass adhesive urethane in black works and looks great  .  I ended up popping off all the old blobs with a plastic scraper and applying the adhesive in the original spots . Going down the road now with no movement at all .
1979 Gold Bird
Jim

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 07:33:16 PM »

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 07:54:39 AM »
Yes, made a huge difference on mine too.
Steve F.

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 08:50:08 AM »
Is/was your guys’ frame set away from the underside of the hood or was it right up against the underside?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 09:42:46 AM »
The frame isn't right up against the underside, or I imagine that could cause some metal to metal noise. There's a little space, and the blobs of adhesive keep them separated and prevents the panel from vibrating.
Steve F.

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 10:53:51 AM »
Ok just double checking. Mine has some space too and I was just making sure that’s correct. I also have some globs letting loose so this thread was timed well for me.
-Brian-

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 11:03:37 AM »
I would bet most cars from this era has some separation . Sure didn't take much to pop them off with the plastic scraper  . This is what i ended up using and looks and  worked great. 3M 08693 Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive Cartridge - 10.5 fl. oz. Amazon $14 . Clean the area good with alcohol and pump in the adhesive your done  good to go in 24 hours
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 11:06:30 AM by Gold member »
1979 Gold Bird
Jim

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 02:59:33 PM »
Nice. Thanks!
-Brian-

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 02:59:33 PM »
You can help support TAC!