Author Topic: So I "fixed" my door hinges  (Read 188 times)

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
So I "fixed" my door hinges
« on: July 28, 2019, 02:06:04 AM »
That's one scratched off the list!

The passenger door on my Y84 was sagging heaps for a while, and I thought it was from all the "passengers" leaning on the door for photos etc and from jumping in and out of the car. Well, turns out... the hinges were completely and totally fine. Infact, work very well. When I first got the car we always noticed that it was a bit saggy and a bit boofed, and i've asked a fair few amount of people what's wrong/how to fix it etc, and i've been told anything from that hinge/bushing kit to rebuilding the hinges, to completely buying new ones. Take a guess what was wrong with the door.

Some bolts came lose. And one was completely missing. That was it.

A friend of my dad's came past to come check out the hinges, and we were all expecting to make this a whole ordeal and remove panels etc.... and after a few minutes of fiddling with the doors, he looked over at the hinge and said "well there's your problem!" So the next day, I was supposed to fix the doors after work, but my dad ended up doing it before I even got home. 1/2 hour, a milk crate, a bolt stolen from the FIRE AM and hey presto, that was that. Didn't even need any help. Didn't believe it until I saw it. Just works perfectly like the door never had anything wrong with it to begin with.

So, car's now booked in with some family friends to get the last few things fixed! After all the electrics are working perfectly and the stripes are corrected, that'd be it for the Y84!
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: So I "fixed" my door hinges
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 06:43:44 AM »
Handy having all those family friends and contacts. No passengers leaning on doors allowed, in fact, no passengers.

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 03:50:58 PM »
Handy having all those family friends and contacts. No passengers leaning on doors allowed, in fact, no passengers.

Don't forget the target demographic Aus, they need doors to lean on for the IG. It's a noble sacrifice, but I'm willing to make it...
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 07:05:09 AM »
That seemed to be an easy fix. I just installed one of my doors over the weekend and in the course of putting things together I lost one of the blasted bolts! I finally gave up looking and took one off the pass side. I will have to worry about replacing that at a later date I suppose.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 07:18:34 AM »
That seemed to be an easy fix. I just installed one of my doors over the weekend and in the course of putting things together I lost one of the blasted bolts! I finally gave up looking and took one off the pass side. I will have to worry about replacing that at a later date I suppose.

Not to hijack, but how does that happen? Lol my dad removed and set down a header bolt never to be seen again. That was a couple years ago and I’ve never found it.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 07:18:34 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 07:47:02 AM »
I guess they travelled away with the socks! I had a small box. Both hinges and all of the screws. Been sitting in a cabinet for months now. Pulled them out to install. Had all of the parts in my hand, when all was said and done one bolt was missing. I think I dropped one, searched everywhere to no avail. I have the floor swept clean so its not hiding in a pile of dirt. Im sure it will turn up at some point.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter