Author Topic: Emblems, car covers, and car seats - Oh my!  (Read 198 times)

Jgarrison

• Forum Member
Emblems, car covers, and car seats - Oh my!
« on: June 13, 2019, 11:14:46 AM »
I haven't posted here in years.  Here goes nothing!  I thought about breaking this into three separate posts and can if necessary

I just acquired a 1995 Trans Am.  Here's some pics.  I don't like the rear "Trans Am" emblem.  It's black on black and unless you're on top of the car you can barely see it.  I've seen Trans Am's out there of the same color that have a "red" on black emblem.  Is this standard?  It kinda makes me wonder if it was replaced.  Furthermore, how hard it is to get my hands on a red one and how difficult it is to swap.  I also don't like the red "Trans Am" emblem on the door.  It would make more sense for that one to be black.  Contrasting colors and all.

Any suggestions on a good quality car cover?  I went to Summit and after plugging in all the specs of the car (including the rear wing, etc.,) it provided Summit Racing, SLP Performance, and Covercraft.  I had pretty bad luck with a Covercraft years ago (extremely thin) but I may have just bought their "basic" version - I don't remember.

Lastly, I got this car (in part) because of the supposed ability to install a couple car seats in the bucket seats in the back.  I grabbed my 4 and 3yr old car seats and gave it a whirl.  I even used the basic (smaller) ones from Walmart.  Their NASA level pilot seats in the mini van won't fly.  They barely fit in the van.  Even with putting a rolled up towel underneath the carseat (front facing) that thing moved around so much it was terrible.  I looked on another forum and there's a reference to a GM "kit" that can be purchased that might help.  Anyone try this?  They were talking about another F-body so I'm not sure if it would work, here.  My 3 year old boy is desperately wants to go for a ride in "daddy's red race car" and I don't blame him.  He's too naive for me to clue him into the fact that a 1995 Trans Am with 290hp/340(ish) ft/lb  on a good day is hardly a "race car" but it still has a beautiful growl and it's quicker than anything else in my driveway (including my 305hp Impala). 

Thanks for the input!

P.S.  If anyone figures out how to strap two front facing car seats into this car, plus a rear facing car seat for the one year old, and a pregnant wife up front - in a car designed to hold 4 - that'd be fantastic.  I'm not opposed to using ratchet straps and bungie cords.  I think I'm just going to have to take the 1976 Trans Am and the 95 out at the same time.  Just have to figure out how I feel about my wife driving the 76  :shock:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:17:30 AM by Jgarrison »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Emblems, car covers, and car seats - Oh my!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 02:01:50 PM »
Welcome to TAC, fortunately my car seat days are far behind me, but it sounds like you have quite a challenge. As far as covers go, California Car Cover makes a pretty good product. They have many different levels for uses and budgets. I have a fitted indoor cover for my 77 and am very happy with it.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • You can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »
You can find the decals all over the internet, places like eBay and Amazon even.  Just search "Trans Am decal" on somewhere like eBay and you'll find them, probably can even find someone that makes them in custom colours.  I personally removed all of mine and never put any more on, though I hate decals and emblems on my car so you results may vary.  I did put a nice purple phoenix on the tail panel though.  Unless the Trans Am had some kind of actual emblem as well, the Formula was all decals but I think the ones on the doors at least might be actual emblems on the Trans Am.  Those like the protective moulding are just held on with adhesive I believe.

No ideas on car covers, except I know to stay away from anything cheap since they scratch the paint they're supposed to protect.

I'm trying to remember back when I was a kid in my mom's '95 Trans Am, and I think I was just on a booster seat of sorts since that's all that'd fit but I was also five or so at the time.  You might look into the car seats from Recaro since they're designed to fit into 2+2 rear seats.

Also there'd be no way of safely or legally getting five people into a car designed for four.  Provided the '76 is stock or mostly stock it'd be a lot less powerful than the '95, though the '95 has ABS and possibly traction control in addition to relatively modern crash safety.  For whatever it's worth statistically females are safer drivers, hence our cheaper insurance. :lol:
Miata placeholder

Jgarrison

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 02:42:10 PM »
Also there'd be no way of safely or legally getting five people into a car designed for four.  Provided the '76 is stock or mostly stock it'd be a lot less powerful than the '95, though the '95 has ABS and possibly traction control in addition to relatively modern crash safety.  For whatever it's worth statistically females are safer drivers, hence our cheaper insurance. :lol:

(I was being sarcastic :D).

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 02:42:10 PM »
You can help support TAC!